Player Watch #18: Hugh Greenwood - joins North as a DFA - two year deal - Welcome Hugh

Remove this Banner Ad

Event Horizon

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Victory
Not against Roos at all, but I haven't really seen or heard from him for a long while now. Is he even still in the club at any capacity? Regarding Noble, he is a great footy person no doubt, but we are yet to find out if he's the one, in terms of taking us deep into finals. Time will tell.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not against Roos at all, but I haven't really seen or heard from him for a long while now. Is he even still in the club at any capacity? Regarding Noble, he is a great footy person no doubt, but we are yet to find out if he's the one, in terms of taking us deep into finals. Time will tell.
he's been re contracted for the 2022 season.
Don't have the physically be at the club to do good work, always good zoom calls etc.
I expect him to turn up on game day though.

muttley45

Premium Platinum
May 4, 2009
North Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Indianapolis Colts
Reckon Hughy is looking forward to playing with Cunners, rather than crossing swords with him, you can see the love/respect when he mentions him in the interview.

Makeshift Park

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s clearly got a great blend of ambition and emotional intelligence. Could see him taking up a coaching role with a fledgling Tassie AFL team once he’s hung up the boots.

Merlin007

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Go back and listen to Noble interviews when he was asked about moving into coaching whilst at Brisbane.

He is clear that he wanted to go the CEO route over Head Coach.

Roos convinced him to go the other way. Don't really get why people are so reluctant to give Roos credit on something he clearly did for our club.
Especially when Roos laid the foundation for a club to win its first flag in 57 years; pretty compelling evidence of his capacity to build a football programme I would have thought

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Go back and listen to Noble interviews when he was asked about moving into coaching whilst at Brisbane.

He is clear that he wanted to go the CEO route over Head Coach.

Roos convinced him to go the other way. Don't really get why people are so reluctant to give Roos credit on something he clearly did for our club.
Ive got nothing against Roos at all.
I’m just saying there no way Noble (or anybody else) knocks back an opportunity to coach an AFL side for the first time!! It just doesn’t happen… he would have taken the role at any of the other 17 clubs. You’re delusional if you think otherwise…

Last edited:

The Y Factor

Premium Platinum
Sep 28, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Ive got nothing against Roos at all.
I’m just saying there no way Noble (or anybody else) knocks back an opportunity to coach an AFL side for the first time!! It just doesn’t happen… he would have taken the role at any of the other 17 clubs. You’re delusional if you think otherwise…

I think you’re right and Noble has clarified his early comments saying ‘he thought his time/ opportunity for coaching had passed’

Roos certainly a friendly voice encouraging him to put his hat in the ring certainly a very helpful aspect though - I don’t think there is doubt about that.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anyone else really impressed when he said that his role this year is to help the young midfield but he's looking forward to transitioning from that acknowledging that he'll need to make way for the recently drafted talent? Hugh comes across as the ultimate team man in that clip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You asked a question. I answered it.

He received a senior job offer from us, before ever coaching a senior team.
I’m just stating facts.
Buckley had a job lined up already.
Noble didn’t… it was us or nobody.
Keep trying though…

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
what has Noble gotto do with your question? You asked a question. You were proven wrong.

now stick one of the sticks up your ass and spin.
Oh dear! The whole debate was around Noble, you twit!!! Try & keep up…
I was never wrong. Buckley didn’t pass up a senior coaching role… he simply chose another club over ours.
Noble would have taken the gig if offered, with or without Roos.
Sticks up the bum seems more your thing…

Last edited:

Usayed Givashe

Premium Platinum
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was never wrong. Buckley didn’t pass up a senior coaching role… he simply chose another club over ours.

Fine, so outside of G. Lyon, Nathan Buckley and Dermott Brereton. You are right.

Usayed Givashe

Premium Platinum
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

What about W. Carey?

Did you hear Blighty’s interview?

they turned down the opportunity to coach North, and we ended up with Brad.

Did Sam Mitchell turn down Collingwood?

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Screenshot_20211218-103105_Instagram.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad