Player Watch #1: Hugh Greenwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Not against Roos at all, but I haven't really seen or heard from him for a long while now. Is he even still in the club at any capacity? Regarding Noble, he is a great footy person no doubt, but we are yet to find out if he's the one, in terms of taking us deep into finals. Time will tell.

Not against Roos at all, but I haven't really seen or heard from him for a long while now. Is he even still in the club at any capacity? Regarding Noble, he is a great footy person no doubt, but we are yet to find out if he's the one, in terms of taking us deep into finals. Time will tell.
he's been re contracted for the 2022 season.
Don't have the physically be at the club to do good work, always good zoom calls etc.
I expect him to turn up on game day though.

Hugh sounds pretty switched on based on that interview. Seems like a really likeable bloke.

Crazy to see how well he's getting on with some of the other players having only been there a couple weeks.

Go back and listen to Noble interviews when he was asked about moving into coaching whilst at Brisbane.

He is clear that he wanted to go the CEO route over Head Coach.

Roos convinced him to go the other way. Don't really get why people are so reluctant to give Roos credit on something he clearly did for our club.
Especially when Roos laid the foundation for a club to win its first flag in 57 years; pretty compelling evidence of his capacity to build a football programme I would have thought

Go back and listen to Noble interviews when he was asked about moving into coaching whilst at Brisbane.

He is clear that he wanted to go the CEO route over Head Coach.

Roos convinced him to go the other way. Don't really get why people are so reluctant to give Roos credit on something he clearly did for our club.
Ive got nothing against Roos at all.
I’m just saying there no way Noble (or anybody else) knocks back an opportunity to coach an AFL side for the first time!! It just doesn’t happen… he would have taken the role at any of the other 17 clubs. You’re delusional if you think otherwise…

Last edited:
Ive got nothing against Roos at all.
I’m just saying there no way Noble (or anybody else) knocks back an opportunity to coach an AFL side for the first time!! It just doesn’t happen… he would have taken the role at any of the other 17 clubs. You’re delusional if you think otherwise…

I think you’re right and Noble has clarified his early comments saying ‘he thought his time/ opportunity for coaching had passed’

Roos certainly a friendly voice encouraging him to put his hat in the ring certainly a very helpful aspect though - I don’t think there is doubt about that.

Anyone else really impressed when he said that his role this year is to help the young midfield but he's looking forward to transitioning from that acknowledging that he'll need to make way for the recently drafted talent? Hugh comes across as the ultimate team man in that clip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m just stating facts.
Buckley had a job lined up already.
Noble didn’t… it was us or nobody.
Keep trying

what has Noble gotto do with your question? You asked a question. You were proven wrong.

now stick one of the sticks up your ass and spin.

what has Noble gotto do with your question? You asked a question. You were proven wrong.

now stick one of the sticks up your ass and spin.
Oh dear! The whole debate was around Noble, you twit!!! Try & keep up…
I was never wrong. Buckley didn’t pass up a senior coaching role… he simply chose another club over ours.
Noble would have taken the gig if offered, with or without Roos.
Sticks up the bum seems more your thing…

Last edited:
I was never wrong. Buckley didn’t pass up a senior coaching role… he simply chose another club over ours.

Fine, so outside of G. Lyon, Nathan Buckley and Dermott Brereton. You are right.

What about W. Carey?

Did you hear Blighty’s interview?

they turned down the opportunity to coach North, and we ended up with Brad.

Did Sam Mitchell turn down Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back