Player Watch #18: Hugh Greenwood - joins North as a DFA - two year deal - Welcome Hugh

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Lloyd Christmas

All Australian
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Goodness me.

He is playing awful footy yet still somehow has near hit his triggers?!

What the bloody hell are they, must be the lowest targets of all time.

Le Grille

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 14, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ll give him one thing he can tackle probably has 80% if the teams tackles, could use some mates. I’m not surprised his offensive numbers are down

shintemaster

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2002
Ponderama
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ll give him one thing he can tackle probably has 80% if the teams tackles, could use some mates. I’m not surprised his offensive numbers are down
Same. Only the best look good in a s**t system. Out of our team this year I can think of maybe 5 players that I can hand on heart say have had good years pretty much every game barring injury. He'll improve as we do or he won't and he'll be replaced by a younger player that is better. That's exactly what we need happening more in this team. Some of them can't tackle or find the ball either so they've got some catching up to do.

Le Grille

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 14, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Same. Only the best look good in a s**t system. Out of our team this year I can think of maybe 5 players that I can hand on heart say have had good years pretty much every game barring injury. He'll improve as we do or he won't and he'll be replaced by a younger player that is better. That's exactly what we need happening more in this team. Some of them can't tackle or find the ball either so they've got some catching up to do.
I think he’s suffering as the only onballer with a defensive game.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At 191cm I don’t think he can play as a small forward. He is in the side for now in the midfield Group as the bigger body and for his tackling strengths. Jy , LDU & JHF are just not big enough.
He was definitely playing a lot more than just this role at the Suns . I feel he is not 100% for us ATM. In fact he has never looked fit since joining us. I know he had a serious knee injury late last year. He just does not look the player he was at GC. Hopefully he can recover that form vs West Coast in round 2 soon again.

Actually, his average possessions per game are higher for us this year than any other in his career. Tackles slightly down. What is probably telling is that his contested possession numbers are well down on his last 4 years, and 1%ers as well.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like Greenwood. And as we improve I think they will use him to do jobs and act as a utility of sorts. In a good side I reckon he would be blanketing a gun player, providing a strong mark around the ground for his size and also contributing on the scoreboard.

If Cunnners was playing I think Greenwood would be better utilised.

Zondor

Premium Platinum
Oct 5, 2004
Hell
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leigh Brown
I like Greenwood. And as we improve I think they will use him to do jobs and act as a utility of sorts. In a good side I reckon he would be blanketing a gun player, providing a strong mark around the ground for his size and also contributing on the scoreboard.

If Cunnners was playing I think Greenwood would be better utilised.
He would be blanketing a Gun Player? Didn't he try to blanket Cripps and Brodie over the last 2 weeks? :stern look

the flying ham

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was an extra year on 250K wasn't it? That's not bad money for a pleb like me but its way below average for an AFL player.
The intent is to transition him to coaching, so I highly doubt he plays much footy in that 3rd year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shermanator

2+6+9+12+21+24+26+29+31+40 = The future
Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Stumbled across this article from early 2020.. interesting..

Attachments

• F3B89997-9C03-4792-97E7-DCD21301228F.jpeg
    F3B89997-9C03-4792-97E7-DCD21301228F.jpeg
    316.3 KB · Views: 107

Aberration

Team Captain
Jun 24, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure if the injury last year has played a part, but he doesn't look the player he once was.

Themanbun

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure if the injury last year has played a part, but he doesn't look the player he once was.
Was a medial if I recall correctly, same as Benny Mc. Either way we look better with Jed taking his midfield minutes and Hugh forward.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shocked to see he only had 10 touches because he had a real impact with every disposal in the first half. You'd have to say though at this point he's just there as a shock absorber for our younger mids. Not an ideal situation and it's clearly holding us back but I'd rather have subpar performances with Hugh in the side than have JHF, Thomas and Powell having the snot beaten out of them every week without a bigger body to back them up. Obviously he'll never play if Cunnington is in the side (cue the opposite of that happening next year).

amaz199

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought he was really impactful in the first half. Seemed to be giving it off cleanly, not panicking, and there were a few occasions he did an LDU and bursted from the pack. How about the give to Xerri for that goal? Also no free.... ugh umpiring...

He goes in harder than anyone else which is fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad