Player Watch #1: Hugh Greenwood

Remove this Banner Ad

He spent a decent amount of time out of the centre yesterday. That’s the first I can recall seeing that happen all year.

I noticed him both up forward and on a wing during the game. I’ve complained before about how Greenwood and Simpkin were both immune to being played in other positions, but Noble started to make that adjustment yesterday.

Our second goal of the first quarter had Powell, JHF and Thomas in the centre, while Simpkin was in the forward 6 and Greenwood was on the wing. It was our best passage of play all day.

Back to Hugh, I’m not sure he is capable of getting to contests and having an impact if he isn’t directly on the ball. Given he has two and a half years on his contract, I’d be looking to the future and giving him some time off to get his body right.

I was initially okay with picking him up…but that was until I heard about us not evening entertaining the Brodie + 19 deal, yet we wanted Darcy McPherson.

Hindsight and all that but Will Brodie + pick 19 was a deal too good to refuse.
I’d love to know what happened there, I heard we never had the option of Brodie,

or more succinctly we came up with the trade idea, but we’re to slow to come up with alternatives and freo swooped in.
while we were still trying to convince someone who didn’t want to come here, to join us.

I’d love to know what happened there, I heard we never had the option of Brodie,

or more succinctly we came up with the trade idea, but we’re to slow to come up with alternatives and freo swooped in.
while we were still trying to convince someone who didn’t want to come here, to join us.
That could well be the case. My source is 2nd hand info so it could be a little off.

Brodie’s manager had been in contact with every club throughout the season trying to get him midfield minutes. It was really only Essendon & Freo that were into him.

That could well be the case. My source is 2nd hand info so it could be a little off.

Brodie’s manager had been in contact with every club throughout the season trying to get him midfield minutes. It was really only Essendon & Freo that were into him.
To make it even worse, he would’ve had instant chemistry with the guy who just won the bnf..
we really still don’t have the depth in his age group, so it really should’ve been a no brainer..

Last edited:
Should be dropped for next week, but we know that isn’t going to happen.

Was brought in to help clean up the mess and provide some cover for a young group and instead we have a bloke that seems to be doing more harm to development, than good.

I hear the word standards thrown around, but it’s merely a throw away line at North.

I agree.

But who for mate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s good that his tackling effort is good but that’s about the only positive.

Gets slaughtered on the spread, only averages 1.5 centre clearances per game, has kicking efficiency below 50% and only has 1.6 inside 50’s per game. Considering how much centre square time he is getting those are putrid numbers for a senior player

It’s good that his tackling effort is good but that’s about the only positive.

Gets slaughtered on the spread, only averages 1.5 centre clearances per game, has kicking efficiency below 50% and only has 1.6 inside 50’s per game. Considering how much centre square time he is getting those are putrid numbers for a senior player
I actually thought he would be good for our footy club, but if anything he is one of the major issues.

We have a coach that has openly admitted to having a friendship outside of footy with him, who now continues to back him regardless of performance.

I am not sure what Noble is trying to achieve by playing Greenwood as one of your core midfielders? Having him and Simpkin in that midfield at the same time is like giving up at clearance. If they don’t get first hands to it, it’s an easy clearance.

I actually thought he would be good for our footy club, but if anything he is one of the major issues.

We have a coach that has openly admitted to having a friendship outside of footy with him, who now continues to back him regardless of performance.

I am not sure what Noble is trying to achieve by playing Greenwood as one of your core midfielders? Having him and Simpkin in that midfield at the same time is like giving up at clearance. If they don’t get first hands to it, it’s an easy clearance.

I thought at minimum he would go head to head and at least break even with his opponent most weeks. much like Cunners used to do. You knew Cunners would give away some possessions to his opponent on the spread but he'd win 90+% of the one on ones around the stoppages.

Greenwood isn't even coming close to breaking even with his direct opponent. Oliver had 24 in a half. Two steps on the weekend and Touk Miller was half a kilometer away from him.

I don't think there is much improvement in him either, getting to that age where things start to decline rather than improve.

He was moved out of the midfield in the second quarter wasn't he?
Second quarter yeah wasn’t there much which in hindsight should have been.
But overall not providing a lot . We all thought he was going to be Cunners but he is not that type more a tackler than dishing it out.

Maybe Gold Coast were right.
Kids like Powell need more midfield minutes so where to for Hugh?
Could he play 3rd tall defender? An interceptor? He is good in the air.

Maybe Gold Coast were right.
Kids like Powell need more midfield minutes so where to for Hugh?
Could he play 3rd tall defender? An interceptor? He is good in the air.
Play him forward instead of Turner.

He is quite good around goals and can actually take a mark.

It’s not like you are losing any pressure either as Turner’s is non-existent.

Play him forward instead of Turner.

He is quite good around goals and can actually take a mark.

It’s not like you are losing any pressure either as Turner’s is non-existent.
Yep, at least some of the time. Good chance he'd make a better fist of being a forward than JZ at the moment as well...

Yep, at least some of the time. Good chance he'd make a better fist of being a forward than JZ at the moment as well...
I would actually use him for F50 stoppages instead of bringing a mid up to stoppage. Sit the mid back outside the 50 to help if the opposition hacks it out or on the rebound.

Hopefully a handshake agreement at seasons end. Pay him out if need be.

He wont be anywhere near the best 22 if/when Cunnington returns.

Midfield mix next season will be:

Cunnington
LDU
Anderson
Phillips
Powell
JHF
Simpkin
Thomas

Absolutely zero need for Greenwood. Waste of Salary cap space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back