Player Watch #1: Hugh Greenwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Has very quick hands. Always manages to release when under immediate pressure. Really strong awareness in those situations.
Does he have a basketball background, his reaction speed in close reminds me of (a less clean) Goldstein.

Those little blocks, taps and pushes forward don’t register on the stat sheet but they have a huge impact in releasing our running clearance players.

He was really good last week.

Does he have a basketball background, his reaction speed in close reminds me of (a less clean) Goldstein.

Those little blocks, taps and pushes forward don’t register on the stat sheet but they have a huge impact in releasing our running clearance players.

He was really good last week.
He played for a D1 NCAA team which is a very high level of basketball. Same college as Luc Longley.

Contacted till 2024

Sad Happy Hour GIF

Felt a bit sorry for Hugh today. Coudda sworn he was in front 4 or 5 times ready to collect possession and that bloody oval shaped ball bounced back into the hands of the chasing Swan to the side or behind him. One even bounced in front of him and went 3metres in the air.

Last edited:
At slow plays like a centre bounce or stoppage Hugh seems most comfortable

But at fast transitions through the middle ( defensive or offensive) …seem to be all at sea.

I dunno if it’s a function of the poor coaching this year or ability, but regardless if Will Phillips is moderately fit next year he surely has to offer better weapons than Hugie???

Geez he's a bloody awkward moving unit.

He is actually quite good in close and is tough, but is horribly exposed on the outside. (not on his own there btw)

Handy cover for Cunners, but I'll be worried if he still best 22 at this time next year.

Josh Jenkins messaged Hugh live on air and Hugh replied saying he has buried his long sleeve jumper. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

at very worst a bit of a pinch hitter in fwd line and a inside mid depth. plenty of blokes in front of him on the march to the gallows.
Suspect his foot skills will see him out of the 22 over the next couple of seasons, but his hands and intensity around the ball are elite. Agree that we could do much worse in terms of depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything interesting said?
I missed the last half but it was pretty good. It is the conversations that could podcast about mental health so he talked about his mum battle with cancer and his basketball. I missed the football talk but he sounds quite likeable. I'll try and listen over the weekend

This isn't meant to be to be nasty to Hugh, but does he offer more than Jed?

Hmmm.

Not really. I got shouted down last year but also queried why we delisted Trent only to then pick up Hugh for at best a net zero outcome.

That said Hugh seems a decent guy and isn't terrible so he's neither here nor there in the scheme of things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back