Player Watch #1: Hugh Greenwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Shock North Melbourne recruit Hugh Greenwood will wear Wayne Carey’s old No.18 in his new football life as a Kangaroo.

The former Sun trained at Arden St for the first time on Monday, joining the likes of No.1 draft pick Jason Horne-Francis and fellow newcomer Callum Coleman-Jones.

North’s first-to-fourth-year players have trained for weeks but the older crew has now resumed, with only Ben Cunnington (testicular cancer), Jed Anderson (Darwin) and Kyron Hayden (Perth) absent.

Gold Coast’s curious decision to risk delisting Greenwood as part of meeting list requirements – with the plan of redrafting him – backfired when the Roos tabled an improved contract offer to him.

The one-time high-level basketballer started his AFL career at Adelaide, but his signing as a delisted free agent with North Melbourne means he is onto his third club.

Greenwood is likely to play up forward and in the midfield for the Kangaroos.

North has allocated all their new jumper numbers, with much-hyped teenager Horne-Francis to don the No.6.

Coleman-Jones (21), Paul Curtis (25), Miller Bergman (27), Josh Goater (31) and son-of-a-gun Jackson Archer (34) are the others.

North claimed the wooden spoon last season, but the signings of Greenwood and Coleman-Jones were indications of the club’s hope to climb the ladder next year.

I smile every time I read this thread. The photo above shows that LDU is a big boy as Hugh is no midget.
The recruiting team should be very pleased with themselves

Can go a step back from the recruiting team to the people who decided to chase David Noble. Think Roos led it. May prove one of the most significant decisions in club history.

Can go a step back from the recruiting team to the people who decided to chase David Noble. Think Roos led it. May prove one of the most significant decisions in club history.

And people actually carried on about the club employing Roos. It was a very good decision by Amarfio & Buckley, that set the wheels in motion.

Without Roos we don’t get Noble.

And people actually carried on about the club employing Roos. It was a very good decision by Amarfio & Buckley, that set the wheels in motion.

I had my doubts re Roos (never been a fan) and I suppose it is difficult to know how much influence he is having on decisions. But we seem to be travelling very well at the moment so probably not a coincidence.

I had my doubts re Roos (never been a fan) and I suppose it is difficult to know how much influence he is having on decisions. But we seem to be travelling very well at the moment so probably not a coincidence.

Think there has been enough said about the Noble approach from Roos to say with a fair amount of certainty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greenwood will be huge for the team, will be able to lockdown a player like hi did to cunners, has good size to be a awkward matchup up forward and again as a wingman.
Has good hands and will put his head over the pill

I rewatched the Gold Coast game in tassie the other day. Cunners smoked greenwood. Absolutely destroyed him to the point of dropping the tag towards half time. In the last greenwood played really well and cunners didn’t do much.

Totally agree 👍
Let’s look at the bright side too ,
The main BF “ carry oner” about the Board , his wining about appointing Roos & how bad the club was being run after all the delistings etc … has banished himself in a walk of shame to some lame Twitter account I believe?!
Never to be heard again ! hahaha. ….
91092DBA-1F44-4A16-AF83-DCA75E907762.gif

Noble obviously a huge reason we got Greenwood.
Pretty sure we get Noble without Paul Roos though… has anybody ever turned turned down a gig at being an AFL coach?

Pretty sure we get Noble without Paul Roos though… has anybody ever turned turned down a gig at being an AFL coach?

Wasn't Roos who identified Noble and made the first contact? In other words, head-hunted him?

Go back and listen to Noble interviews when he was asked about moving into coaching whilst at Brisbane.

He is clear that he wanted to go the CEO route over Head Coach.

Roos convinced him to go the other way. Don't really get why people are so reluctant to give Roos credit on something he clearly did for our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back