Player Watch #1: Hugh Greenwood

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben Brown asks if it’s too late to change his mind.

Good luck to the Greenwood family finding a house in Melbourne pronto.

=====

https://www.afl.com.au/news/697378/trimmed-down-new-roo-s-double-life-skipper-returns

Trimmed-down new Roo's double life​

Hugh Greenwood is turning heads at Arden Street despite his unorthodox living arrangements

HUGH Greenwood may still be juggling life in two different states right now, but the North Melbourne recruit has quickly made an impression inside Arden Street and could prove to be a vital inclusion in 2022.

The 29-year-old was one of the shock moves of last year when the Kangaroos shrewdly pinched Greenwood from Gold Coast, after the Suns delisted him in November with the intention of reselecting him in the NAB AFL Draft.

Those inside North Melbourne have been thrilled with Greenwood since he started training on December 5. The Tasmanian was one of the standouts during a taxing session in hot conditions on Friday morning, covering the ground strongly despite heavily strapped knees.

Greenwood has stripped five kilograms off his frame since the end of last season in a concerted effort to improve his running capacity, after his 2021 campaign ended prematurely due to an MCL tear.

But while the former Crow and Sun has relocated to Victoria, Greenwood's fiancée has remained on the Gold Coast with their two children and two dogs, waiting until they can buy a property in Melbourne. It has meant Greenwood has been flying back to the Gold Coast each weekend since and has been couch-hopping while searching long and hard for a permanent base for his young family.

The poaching of Greenwood could prove to be a masterstroke by Glenn Luff and Brady Rawlings, given the age profile of the Kangaroos' list and the uncertainty around the future of inside midfielder Jed Anderson.

Anderson, who is currently in Darwin, is yet to receive his second COVID-19 vaccination. He is completing a training program designed by North Melbourne's high performance department.

The deadline for Victorian-based players to have two doses of a vaccine was November 26 but given Anderson has been based in the Northern Territory, he has until February 18 to receive his second dose.

The 27-year-old suffered an adverse reaction to the first dose and is understood to be hesitant to take a second jab, but North Melbourne is hopeful Anderson will be fully vaccinated before next month's deadline.

Two-time Syd Barker medallist Ben Cunnington is recovering from a secondary cancer that was detected in late November.

The 30-year-old warrior was diagnosed with testicular cancer in July and underwent surgery to remove a tumour before a routine check-up discovered it had returned.

Cunnington is midway through a nine-week course of chemotherapy with the Kangaroos focused on the midfielder's health first and foremost before they contemplate his return to football.

With three or four clubs sniffing around when Gold Coast delisted Greenwood – including his former club Adelaide – the 83-gamer is set to assist No.1 pick Jason Horne-Francis' transition from the SANFL into the AFL.

North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell returned to Arden Street this week along with Noble after exiting health and safety protocols.

Ziebell suffered a very mild case of COVID-19 and returned to the club on Monday but has been eased back into training.

No. 1 pick Jason Horne-Francis joined Ziebell in a small group of players, along with Aidan Corr, Aiden Bonar, Phoenix Spicer and Kyron Hayden, who are transitioning back into the main group after exiting isolation.

Victoria's Omicron wave has affected roughly half of North Melbourne's list in the past few weeks, with ruckman Todd Goldstein and boom forward Cameron Zurhaar missing Friday's session due to COVID-19.

Former Giant Bonar is the only injury concern right now after he aggravated an old wrist injury in early December.

The 2017 No.11 pick was initially expected to return to full training in March but completed some non-contact full ground drills on Friday and could be back ahead of schedule.

Last edited:
Greenwood has stripped five kilograms off his frame since the end of last season in a concerted effort to improve his running capacity...

THat's five kilos less when he tackles. Hope it doesn't interfere with his tackling much.

On the other hand its good for his knees if he is lighter and good for the side that he has worked that hard to get properly fit to run out a game. Its a massive effort.

Greenwood has stripped five kilograms off his frame since the end of last season in a concerted effort to improve his running capacity...

THat's five kilos less when he tackles. Hope it doesn't interfere with his tackling much.

On the other hand its good for his knees if he is lighter and good for the side that he has worked that hard to get properly fit to run out a game. Its a massive effort.

I reckon it's a good thing for us as a team. He will be the most experienced - both games and physically - midfielder in the team come round 1. The longer he is on the ground the better.

I reckon it's a good thing for us as a team. He will be the most experienced - both games and physically - midfielder in the team come round 1. The longer he is on the ground the better.
Yeah I agree. It also shows he is prepared to get the best out of himself.

Maybe he was carrying weight unnecessarily at the Suns as well. So maybe his fitness wasn't as good as it should be. Hard not to wonder that about the Suns in general. Their coach is a pie factory's nightmare.

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm online I'm at work!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston CelticsRedSoxBruins
Yeah I agree. It also shows he is prepared to get the best out of himself.

Maybe he was carrying weight unnecessarily at the Suns as well. So maybe his fitness wasn't as good as it should be. Hard not to wonder that about the Suns in general. Their coach is a pie factory's nightmare.
Completely disagree Ferbs!!!!! You have it soooooooo wrong!!!!!

Sun's coach is a pie factory's dream. If he settled on one brand I'd be buying stocks haha

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Poor guy has to travel between GC and Melbourne every weekend to see his family.
Screenshot_20220124-024127_Instagram.jpg

Referring to Cunners as a 'battler'? Not like!!!
More than a little disrespectful to the great man IMO. Substitute 'battler' with 'genius' and I give the interview 10/10.
Yeah I thought that at first.

But I don't think he means it like that. I think he's more referring to the hard work at the coal face, fighting for the ball, that players like Cunners and Greenwood do, not the flashy stuff Tarryn or Sleevo get to do as a result.

Back