Player Watch #1: Hugh Greenwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I do wonder what his role will be once Phillips and Powell make it back into the team. Small forward?
His role will be to fight for a position, provide depth if unable to win that fight and experience in the VFL if necessary. He was an absolute freebie and it was still good business.

Goodness me.

He is playing awful footy yet still somehow has near hit his triggers?!

What the bloody hell are they, must be the lowest targets of all time.

I’ll give him one thing he can tackle probably has 80% if the teams tackles, could use some mates. I’m not surprised his offensive numbers are down

I’ll give him one thing he can tackle probably has 80% if the teams tackles, could use some mates. I’m not surprised his offensive numbers are down
Same. Only the best look good in a s**t system. Out of our team this year I can think of maybe 5 players that I can hand on heart say have had good years pretty much every game barring injury. He'll improve as we do or he won't and he'll be replaced by a younger player that is better. That's exactly what we need happening more in this team. Some of them can't tackle or find the ball either so they've got some catching up to do.

Same. Only the best look good in a s**t system. Out of our team this year I can think of maybe 5 players that I can hand on heart say have had good years pretty much every game barring injury. He'll improve as we do or he won't and he'll be replaced by a younger player that is better. That's exactly what we need happening more in this team. Some of them can't tackle or find the ball either so they've got some catching up to do.
I think he’s suffering as the only onballer with a defensive game.

At 191cm I don’t think he can play as a small forward. He is in the side for now in the midfield Group as the bigger body and for his tackling strengths. Jy , LDU & JHF are just not big enough.
He was definitely playing a lot more than just this role at the Suns . I feel he is not 100% for us ATM. In fact he has never looked fit since joining us. I know he had a serious knee injury late last year. He just does not look the player he was at GC. Hopefully he can recover that form vs West Coast in round 2 soon again.

Actually, his average possessions per game are higher for us this year than any other in his career. Tackles slightly down. What is probably telling is that his contested possession numbers are well down on his last 4 years, and 1%ers as well.

I like Greenwood. And as we improve I think they will use him to do jobs and act as a utility of sorts. In a good side I reckon he would be blanketing a gun player, providing a strong mark around the ground for his size and also contributing on the scoreboard.

If Cunnners was playing I think Greenwood would be better utilised.

I like Greenwood. And as we improve I think they will use him to do jobs and act as a utility of sorts. In a good side I reckon he would be blanketing a gun player, providing a strong mark around the ground for his size and also contributing on the scoreboard.

If Cunnners was playing I think Greenwood would be better utilised.
He would be blanketing a Gun Player? Didn't he try to blanket Cripps and Brodie over the last 2 weeks? :stern look

People don’t read the fine print, I was flabbergasted when we signed him.

Make him captain of the 2’s next year.
It was an extra year on 250K wasn't it? That's not bad money for a pleb like me but its way below average for an AFL player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if the injury last year has played a part, but he doesn't look the player he once was.

Shocked to see he only had 10 touches because he had a real impact with every disposal in the first half. You'd have to say though at this point he's just there as a shock absorber for our younger mids. Not an ideal situation and it's clearly holding us back but I'd rather have subpar performances with Hugh in the side than have JHF, Thomas and Powell having the snot beaten out of them every week without a bigger body to back them up. Obviously he'll never play if Cunnington is in the side (cue the opposite of that happening next year).

Thought he was really impactful in the first half. Seemed to be giving it off cleanly, not panicking, and there were a few occasions he did an LDU and bursted from the pack. How about the give to Xerri for that goal? Also no free.... ugh umpiring...

He goes in harder than anyone else which is fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back