Player Watch #1: Hugh Greenwood

Remove this Banner Ad

What I’ve noticed recently with Hugh is he is always one of the first to get to a teammate to celebrate a goal. That tells me he is engaged, wants to do well, enjoys the challenge he finds himself in at North and is a great teammate. The more he plays the better we are

He showed that same enthusiasm with the fans near the rooms pregame. I couldn’t help but feel “this bloke’s one of those top shelf clubmen”.

He's worth a spot in the team if only to spell Goldy and allow CCJ to concentrate full time on CHF
He opens up the games of the teammates around him:

1) in the middle he allows the players with more flair to play their natural game. Phillips played grunt most of the game last week. If we put Greenwood in there, we get to see Phillips slicing through congestion and using his good foot skills more in space.

2) in the ruck, he gives Goldie a chop out to roam forward and be an aerial threat. This has flow on effects as Goldie is smart enough to make space a draw defenders away from NL and CCJ.

Best game he's played for the club today. Tackling, harrassing and even some outside run and carry which I've never seen much of from him. Great game
Plays taller than his height, his intercepting and pressure make me think he could be a 3rd back tall/interceptor. If mkkay can get it together thise 2 and gus could work, otherwise he is doing great work in the guts but we look to be flush with midfielders.

Keeping Cunners out by the sound of it
Cunners is keeping himself out.

I reckon Ben may call time soon just as a vibe. Great effort to come back but don't think he thought that playing VFL and seemingly that being his level was part of the plan. His strength was at the contest and his clearance work at AFL level was his point of difference. And the year out has hurt him.
Can you imagine Ben tryna keep up with De Goey and the Daicos brothers today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keeping Cunners out by the sound of it
Everyone loves Cunners but what Hugh has given the team the last two weeks especially is beyond any game Cunners has had in ages - obviously there are reasons, but if we want a big bodied, experienced mid in there to support Jy, Will, George and Harry, there’s no contest at the moment.

Cunners is keeping himself out.

I reckon Ben may call time soon just as a vibe. Great effort to come back but don't think he thought that playing VFL and seemingly that being his level was part of the plan. His strength was at the contest and his clearance work at AFL level was his point of difference. And the year out has hurt him.
Can you imagine Ben tryna keep up with De Goey and the Daicos brothers today?
I am sure there is no way Ben will stay on if he feels he is no longer up to senior football. I respect him to make this call himself. He has earned that right. He won’t need to be told IMO.

I am sure there is no way Ben will stay on if he feels he is no longer up to senior football. I respect him to make this call himself. He has earned that right. He won’t need to be told IMO.
heaven help the poor bugger that matches up on cunners if he was to retire and go in the carlton draft, but given he is not a big fan of the media i coudnt see that happening. might go back to combin and dominate in the time he is off the boat and the farm though,

In either the third or fourth quarter, Huge, got a centre clearance by palming the ball ala Michael Jordan palming the basketball in his pomp. What a bit of skill that was! I'll have to sort through the last two quarters replay to try and find it.

Collingwood v North Melbourne​

10 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
5 Nick Daicos (COLL)
5 Josh Daicos (COLL)
5 Nick Larkey (NMFC)
4 Isaac Quaynor (COLL)
1 Hugh Greenwood (NMFC)

Coaches votes​

A very good player if winning isn’t your bag. Is slow and incapable of spreading. Hence why we won’t play him amd Cunners in the same side.

Bloody warrior for sure but not great when a journeyman is one of your best

Fyi & fwiw.

Was clearly hampered by injury last year, this was what I expected from him and really he had a poor 2022.

Loving his work at clearances
Love how he uses his long arms to lift the ball above the tackler’s arms to still get an effective handball away. He is bloody strong.

I feel like this is probably a big point of difference with Ben10s inside work and why he was getting pinged so much this year at afl level. Ben so often keeps the ball low so he can quickly decide between a releasing handball and an accurate kick off a step.

The thing is that tackling technique has changed a bit in the last couple of seasons and pinning the arms when low or parallel with the body has become one of the major avenues for HTB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back