Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

His kick to hit up the lead of Hogan to start the second and led to Garlett flicking it to Weid was a bloody gem. Hogan hit it at full pace and it would have broke his nose if he didn't mark it

If he can kick it like that kinda regularly we will score a lot more

His kick to hit up the lead of Hogan to start the second and led to Garlett flicking it to Weid was a bloody gem. Hogan hit it at full pace and it would have broke his nose if he didn't mark it

If he can kick it like that kinda regularly we will score a lot more
Yep. He has really nice penetration so he can make those kind of kicks. Thought he had a good first half and then lost the plot in the 2nd half a bit with some baffling decisions.

I only watched bits and pieces yesterday as well as the highlights - where was Melksham playing? Back line, midfield, wing, half forward?

Was playing on Stringer at one stage, was defence all day.

Salem was in for a lot of centre bounces yesterday, god im excited about him and Gus.

Cool, thanks. As much as I doubt Melksham as a best 22 player, if he can do a job back there and let Salem run free further up the ground, that's a big win.

Agreed re Salem and Gus. Super excited.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Melksham trade as I thought we could have paid less. However he looked good on the weekend. With the likes of Hibberd Tmac Vince and Lewis going through the backline Melksham could have an impact.
Whilst I also didn't think he was in my best 22 I'd say Goody likes him and he'll be a starter. If he plays like that then that's fine.

His decision making for a player that age is shaping him up to be something special.
Imagine 2020:

B: Smith OMac Frost
HB: Hibberd TMac Hunt
C: Stretch Viney Brayshaw
HF: Petracca Hogan Watts
F: Garlett Weideman Kent
R: Gawn Tyson Oliver
Int: Salem NJones Bugg Kennedy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't a huge fan of the Melksham trade as I thought we could have paid less. However he looked good on the weekend. With the likes of Hibberd Tmac Vince and Lewis going through the backline Melksham could have an impact.
Whilst I also didn't think he was in my best 22 I'd say Goody likes him and he'll be a starter. If he plays like that then that's fine.
Agree he was better than I expected. Liked his attacking game, but he wasn't great in one-on-ones, which is where Jetta excels.

Think when Goody's got over his "grass is always greener ..." crush on Melksham, that's what it'll come down to - if we need more defensive we'll pick Jetta, if we need more attacking we'll pick Melks.

Agree he was better than I expected. Liked his attacking game, but he wasn't great in one-on-ones, which is where Jetta excels.

Think when Goody's got over his "grass is always greener ..." crush on Melksham, that's what it'll come down to - if we need more defensive we'll pick Jetta, if we need more attacking we'll pick Melks.
I'd personally like to see Jetta over Melksham. He's our best small defender who can do a shut down job.

Imagine 2020:

B: Smith OMac Frost
HB: Hibberd TMac Hunt
C: Stretch Viney Brayshaw
HF: Petracca Hogan Watts
F: Garlett Weideman Kent
R: Gawn Tyson Oliver
Int: Salem NJones Bugg Kennedy

Looks like our new recruits over the next couple of years will have problems breaking into the team

Looks like our new recruits over the next couple of years will have problems breaking into the team
Yup, you're going to have to be bloody good to get in.

This is why I think the speculation around Kelly is huge. Your 23rd/24th man in that side is a Melksham or a Jetta. Kelly is the kind of player who will actually get a game in that side.

This is why I think the speculation around Kelly is huge. Your 23rd/24th man in that side is a Melksham or a Jetta. Kelly is the kind of player who will actually get a game in that side.

Has Kelly actually signed on with GWS? McClure wrote an article a month ago saying he was set to stay, but I can't find anything with an official announcement.

Has Kelly actually signed on with GWS? McClure wrote an article a month ago saying he was set to stay, but I can't find anything with an official announcement.
Nope.

What's the speculation around which Kelly?

What's the speculation around which Kelly?

GWS Josh Kelly, I'd imagine. Out of contract by the sounds of it. I would even give up ANB, Garland and Spencil to make it happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back