Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I absolutely hated him at Essendon and didn't rate him either, but I will give him a chance. pick 25 is overs but our next pick would have been unders and I feel draft picks in this range are slightly overrated anyway so not too worried about that. It's the WADA situation that worries me. Nobody (including Goodwin) knows what kind of penalty these guys could get. If he's hit with 2 years then we're going to look very silly. It's also slightly hypocritical but now that Melksham is with us and Hird/Little gone I kinda hope they get off!!!

Amazing post. 5 stars..

At least I don't have to watch "waving arms McKenzie" or "no idea Bail" running around anymore.

It's a s**t trade at pick 25 and 400 per year, but Melksham will be better than those two combined.

I am happy Melbourne isn't trading future draft picks to top up with mostly rubbish players that couldn't get a game at other clubs.

At least we were warned long in advance he was coming. If it was an out of the blue trade, the crushing disappointment might have overwhelmed me. We paid overs, he's been poor for a couple of years and has one decent season under his belt; we're really hoping he gets a new lease of life here because recent evidence is nothing to get excited about. When old mate Townsend is going for pick #70, you wonder whether we could have got a bit more bang for our pick, but she's all done now.

The pressure on us to climb again next year will be strong in Roos' 3rd year and good young talent on the list. 1st yrs wont be much help. Half back is obviously a key area that needed beefing up. We talked to plenty of players and barely got a bite. It took money and job security to convince Melks to come over. We paid overs and that kind of sucks, but I think its better than nothing/kid that wont help for a yr or two. Melks could be our very own Rhyce Shaw :rainbow:

Last edited:
The only tick in Melksham's box is we didn't pick him up from Collingwood.

I always seem to take a liking to players who get widely criticised around here. On the basis of this board recently, Melksham is going to be my new favourite player.
He's all mine buddy

I see that. Might I be Vice-President?
Deal
LRlknxa.gif

I Call President!
Vice President!
Ohh
secretary for you

I always seem to take a liking to players who get widely criticised around here. On the basis of this board recently, Melksham is going to be my new favourite player.

Replacing Tom Gillies?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of all the negativity about Melksham he is a demon now and Im going to get behind him. Would be s**t starting at a new club with all the fans hating!

I was feeling a bit negative about the Melksham trade but the I realised that I have never seen Melks really spud up anything as a demon, which in a way is a record similar to that of Hogan. Plus I can confidently predict that he is going to retain this form for the next three months

I am going to get behind him, but if he has a shocking year next year then I may turn on him.

Lets hope your signature has a bit longer life span than the last one. ;)

Only thing left to do is look at this sunny side up:

- his development was trending upwards til the s**t hit the fan at the bummers. 2013 Melksham, or better, will be a useful addition to the squad

- if the basis for recruiting him, his decent performances off half back, translates into consistency in 2016, the advantages are two fold. It adds to the line breaking ability as well as potentially allowing Salem more time in the midfield where he will inevitably end up playing

- pick 25 immediately seems like overs given his recent overall form, but in a shallow draft pool it isn't the end of the world. It is said that the chance of finding a quality player between picks 15 and 40 doesnt vary a great deal

- granted he has a punchable head but he doesn't seem to mind a bit of niggle, which is rarely a bad thing

I've slowly come to terms with this, and I'm embracing it.

I've already coined a phrase for him... #ridethemelkyway

If someone already came up with it, I'm claiming it anyway.

Only thing left to do is look at this sunny side up:

- his development was trending upwards til the s**t hit the fan at the bummers. 2013 Melksham, or better, will be a useful addition to the squad

- if the basis for recruiting him, his decent performances off half back, translates into consistency in 2016, the advantages are two fold. It adds to the line breaking ability as well as potentially allowing Salem more time in the midfield where he will inevitably end up playing

- pick 25 immediately seems like overs given his recent overall form, but in a shallow draft pool it isn't the end of the world. It is said that the chance of finding a quality player between picks 15 and 40 doesnt vary a great deal

- granted he has a punchable head but he doesn't seem to mind a bit of niggle, which is rarely a bad thing

I've slowly come to terms with this, and I'm embracing it.

I've already coined a phrase for him... #ridethemelkyway

If someone already came up with it, I'm claiming it anyway.
Need to get that Trending, nothing from the Melbourne board ever ends up trending
#ridethemelkyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back