Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

This one didn't end in any of the damage of a typical sparring session. He was too good and just working on dodging and hitting me with one specific body shot. I guess I was practice for fights against tall guys/lefties. Boxing gyms are typically great, when you're outclassed the other guy doesn't beat you up. It was against the relatively inexperienced light heavyweights I was in strife as I was fair game to them.

I took up boxing in my 30's and not for long but it was awesome fun as someone who had been in one fight ever to that point. Great confidence booster and it's crazy efficient for fitness. Would love to go back to it but the wife would probably kill me, also long term concussion considerations I guess.
Yeah I've done a little aswell, as long as ya stay humble and park your ego everyone's good. If ya wanna be a tough guy there's always someone willing to show you you aren't.

He was actually great to listen to on that podcast. I'm almost coming around to liking him.

(In all honesty, I do respect him greatly for forcing his way into the senior team in a pretty difficult role with his career on a knife edge).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes hard to dislike someone who was so down to earth and owning his issues and challenges. The full body cramp sounded horrendous and funny at the same time.

I think he is very self aware and realises there is a lot of pressure on his spot and his age is not helping him. If he could end his career with a GF win that would be amazing for him. He is certainly contributing to this team and the group needs it.

The Melkman will continue to deliver for one more year.

Surely not getting a game unless every other player on the list literally falls apart.
I'm guessing with melk especially, this is a reflection of how we rate the draft. If there's no rookies who get us excited why not have a strong VFL side that keeps us contending

14 games til Father Son #justsaying
Actually only six more to go. Melksham has played 94 with Melbourne.

If he stays injury free I think he will get nursed to 100.

As Topkent called out, if Melbourne don’t like this year’s draft they may as well go another year with a known quantity over just drafting someone to the main list that they don’t have faith in.

I can’t think Melksham or Hibberd would be on anything materially more than a minimum contract either.

Actually only six more to go. Melksham has played 94 with Melbourne.

If he stays injury free I think he will get nursed to 100.

As Topkent called out, if Melbourne don’t like this year’s draft they may as well go another year with a known quantity over just drafting someone to the main list that they don’t have faith in.

I can’t think Melksham or Hibberd would be on anything materially more than a minimum contract either.
Plus which i hadn't really though of, maybe teams are gonna learn from Geelong and try and be more conscious of resting players and having them ready for September. Mature bodies to plug a couple games become necessary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we haven't got blokes keeping Milkshakes out of the senior side, we're in trouble. 6 more games for 100 is so close though. Can see Goody looking after his mate. He showed he's still capable of having an impact. He also showed in finals he's capable of absolutely stinking it up. I'm on the fence but we clearly don't rate this draft

He had a really good interview on SEN today. Spoke about how playing VFL for the last few years was initially a bit tough but he sucked it up and just kept working away. With an attitude like that I can sorta understand why they’ve kept him away for a while, if veteran players are happy to earn their spot they’re often quite valuable to keep on the list.

Was always one of my faves and is still well respected by the dons fanbase.

That contested mark on the wing in the last quarter was truly epic.

Thread overdue for some Melk love, that tap on to Chandler was straight out of the Casey Globetrotters playbook. Love how committed to defense he is also, if he cant mark the ball hes determined to make sure his opponent doesn't either.

Thread overdue for some Melk love, that tap on to Chandler was straight out of the Casey Globetrotters playbook. Love how committed to defense he is also, if he cant mark the ball hes determined to make sure his opponent doesn't either.

Those contests on the wing are my favourite part. Makes me think it won't be such an issue when Fritsch comes back because he can can push up a bit higher and provide something when we transition.

Why dont commentators refer to the pocket in front of the members/Ponsford as Jake's pocket like they did at AO for Eddie Betts?

His left foot snaps never miss from there.

Lot of egg on my face with Melk. Thought he was cooked even last year. Is now a really dangerous part of our team who also defends much better than I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back