Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Love what he's done.
A handy boxer too apparently :drunk:

Heard him talking about his boxing on MMM and he said Jonesy is one you don't wanna get into the ring with, but worst is Nev, apparently broke one of his ribs sparring lol

Heard him talking about his boxing on MMM and he said Jonesy is one you don't wanna get into the ring with, but worst is Nev, apparently broke one of his ribs sparring lol
Yeah often see vision of those 3 pre game doing a bit of boxing and Jonesy looks like he could go.
I just find it funny that pretty much any time Melksham does something, even when he was at Essendon, whoever is commentating at the time ALWAYS says "he goes ok in the ring too I hear"

Yeah often see vision of those 3 pre game doing a bit of boxing and Jonesy looks like he could go.
I just find it funny that pretty much any time Melksham does something, even when he was at Essendon, whoever is commentating at the time ALWAYS says "he goes ok in the ring too I hear"
Media like players to have some kind of schtick that they can refer to every single time. It's probably a good thing for the player too - if they can't think of anything to refer to ad nauseum then they stop talking about you full stop.

If anything, we need more discussion points to hear over and over, then we know we have made it. So far the only ones that I hear regularly are:

Melksham "he goes ok in the ring too I hear"
Gawn "he can make you a pretty mean latte too I hear"
Hunt "he has the worlds longest finger I hear"
Vince "just as good with a pair of shears I hear"

There are others that are less quirky like Lever "came to the Demons from the Crows in acrimonious circumstances" and the more general Hibberd/Melksham "the former Bomber" etc.

We need some that grab attention better - Like Jesse Hogan "has a thing about small, furry forest-animals and gaffa tape I hear" or something along those lines.

Media like players to have some kind of schtick that they can refer to every single time. It's probably a good thing for the player too - if they can't think of anything to refer to ad nauseum then they stop talking about you full stop.

If anything, we need more discussion points to hear over and over, then we know we have made it. So far the only ones that I hear regularly are:

There are others that are less quirky like Lever "came to the Demons from the Crows in acrimonious circumstances" and the more general Hibberd/Melksham "the former Bomber" etc.

We need some that grab attention better - Like Jesse Hogan "has a thing about small, furry forest-animals and gaffa tape I hear" or something along those lines.
Haha I like where you're coming from PG.

Does that mean that Nev is the worst boxer and had his rib broke, or is the worst because he broke melks rib?

Dont forget Brad Green who tried out for Manchester...geez i got sick of that one. They always changed between City and United too. Work it out.
Could have been a soccer player you know.... Uh duh.

Dont forget Brad Green who tried out for Manchester...geez i got sick of that one. They always changed between City and United too. Work it out.
Could have been a soccer player you know.... Uh duh.
That drove me crazy. Or crazier anyway.

Also that Sydney guy who used to be a plumber you know. I hate that guy now even though I can’t remember which one he is - I only remember the plumber bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best One-on-one player in the comp apparently! I Must admit I thought it was a shocking trade at the time but everything's coming up Milhouse!

From the Herald Sun

WHO is the AFL’s one-on-one king close to goal?
Is it Geelong’s hulking spearhead Tom Hawkins? What about Richmond bull Dustin Martin? Perhaps it is Sydney colossus Lance Franklin?

Wrong. Wrong .Wrong. After Round 10 this season the answer is surprisingly underrated and undersized Melbourne forward Jake Melksham, and by some margin.

The Demons forward has won nine out of his 14 one-on-one contests in the attacking 50m this season, with his career-best form a key reason behind the club’s surge to third on the ladder.

Melksham, 26, is listed at just 186cm and 83kg and yet he is proving hard to beat in the most dangerous part of the ground.

The former Essendon player’s stocks soar even higher when you analyse footy’s ‘‘money kick’ — going inside 50m.
While Melksham is becoming unmovable near goal, he is even better at delivering the ball to the hot spot.

This season the Demons have retained possession from 23 out of Melksham’s 35 kicks inside 50m, ranked No.2 in the AFL and above elite ball users Martin, Scott Pendlebury and Dayne Zorko.

If you look at the ‘‘money kick’ men over the past four weeks, Melksham towers above the rest of the competition.

Since Round 6 the Demons have retained possession from a ridiculous 93.3 per cent of Melksham’s kicks inside 50m.
The next best is Brisbane Lion’s Tom Cutler (71.4 per cent) and Melksham’s teammate, Clayton Oliver, is ranked fourth at 62.5 per cent over the past month.

Many Demon fans were surprised when their club parted with pick No.25 in the 2015 draft for Melksham, a selection used by Essendon on Mason Redman (three games).
Melksham then sat out the 2016 season due to the drugs saga but has since repaid the faith shown by coach Simon Goodwin.

Melksham slotted 4.0 against Richmond on Anzac eve and then booted 5.0 against Carlton last week, a performance rated his best in six seasons by Champion Data.

The brutal return of co-captain Jack Viney, the hot form of out-of-contract players Tom McDonald and Angus Brayshaw and the improvement of recruit Jake Lever are hogging the spotlight as the Demons emerge as a serious player in this year’s premiership race.

But it is Melksham’s weapons in the front half that deserve a decent share of the spotlight.
Last season Melksham was used to tag Norm Smith Medallist Jason Johannisen when the Demons beat the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium.
When they meet again on Saturday it is more likely that Melksham will be the man facing the clamp.

Our cup runneth over with Milk and it's a beautiful thing.

What about Scott pendlebury, did you know he has a basketball background?
I'm sure i remember hearing this maybe once or twice.... A fortnight. I'm not sure he was ever going to be the basketballer that Christian Petracca could have been. Or even that Jack Watts No 1 draft pick fella.

That drove me crazy. Or crazier anyway.

Also that Sydney guy who used to be a plumber you know. I hate that guy now even though I can’t remember which one he is - I only remember the plumber bit.
Clearly you mean Kevin Sheedy. Aquamax knew they were on to a good thing!
Speaking of crazy....

Ok. So who got the broken rib?
Melk did. Nev hit him so hard he broke it. Basically they asked him whether Jake Lever was able to trouble him in the ring and Melk said nah I got him covered it's Jones and Jetta. Especially Jetta because Jetta broke his rib in a muck around spa. Apparently during the season last year as well lol

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back