18 m square in for next year ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't hate it till you see it

It has already been tried in the VFL about 100 years ago. It was considered a failure as it made the game too simple, and not enough diversity on strategies to get out of your defensive area. They shortened the goal square because the long square led to dull, booming kicks up the middle all the time. Not interesting.

Imagine how crap games at the short grounds will become? You have your longest kicker thump it 70m up the middle, to a pack. Awesome.

It has already been tried in the VFL about 100 years ago. It was considered a failure as it made the game too simple, and not enough diversity on strategies to get out of your defensive area. They shortened the goal square because the long square led to dull, booming kicks up the middle all the time. Not interesting.

Imagine how crap games at the short grounds will become? You have your longest kicker thump it 70m up the middle, to a pack. Awesome.

Totally agree they would have to extend the length of the SCG.

RIP AFL

The sport is being destroyed.

Aussie Rules footy died years ago. This new sport they try to call Aussie Rules is followed only because people’s clubs are in it. Also we have to remember that upwards of 50% of AFL followers have no idea about the game and only show interest or attend because it’s deemed as cool to do so and it’s an arvo or nights entertainment out. Why go to a bar or a coffee shop when you can sit in a stadium and gossip for a few hours and pretend you are a football follower. This is now the AFL demographic, the people over 40 who grew up and loved Aussie Rules are sitting at home with little interest now.
Makes no difference to head office though as a hundred dollar note is no different no matter who hands it over.

So they trial the new rules in VFL games and the result isn't as positive for the look of the game as they thought it would be, yet they still want to move forward with the rule changes.

There's nothing wrong with the game, leave it the F alone you twats!

This basically solves an imaginary problem with an imaginary solution. Could be worse, I guess.

With a 18m square we could see a kick in after a point land inside the other fwd area.
No we couldn't! It's an extra nine metres. Do you think current kick-ins are nine metres away from landing in the other forward area?

Forget 100 years ago, it has been trialled in the VFL this year and it makes no difference.

They really are ******* muppets running this league. They penalise players if their foot goes over the square by even an inch because they might get a few extra metres on the kick out, so what do they do next?

Come up with the most ridiculous looking idea the games ever seen.

The simple solution would be to not lengthen the square itself but allow the man on the mark to be the limit of where a player kicking out can come out to.

The square needs to be made wider, not longer if anything.

I can see defensive transition becoming like basketball with this stupid rectangle, where the team with the ball can waltz to the three point arc uncontested :poo::eek:

They really are ******* muppets running this league. They penalise players if their foot goes over the square by even an inch because they might get a few extra metres on the kick out, so what do they do next?

Come up with the most ridiculous looking idea the games ever seen.

The simple solution would be to not lengthen the square itself but allow the man on the mark to be the limit of where a player kicking out can come out to.

The square needs to be made wider, not longer if anything.

Is the extended goal square about kick out infringements? I thought it was only about ensuring more ball movement.

I agree, the current rules are unnecessarily strict re kick outs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the extended goal square about kick out infringements? I thought it was only about ensuring more ball movement.

I agree, the current rules are unnecessarily strict re kick outs.

No, but having such a rule that penalises players for doing exactly what the AFL wants in getting further distance wise out of the forward arc makes the people running it look stupid for going down the way over the top resolution as their preferred one.

No, but having such a rule that penalises players for doing exactly what the AFL wants in getting further distance wise out of the forward arc makes the people running it look stupid for going down the way over the top resolution as their preferred one.

How?

Surely there is the current rule, and the proposed one.

I just don't see what this solves. I thought the problem was congestion and rolling mauls?

I just don't see what this solves. I thought the problem was congestion and rolling mauls?

It will seriously speed up the game. That is undeniable. There will be less congestion and rolling mauls.

The dispute people have is whether the game will evolve to find it's own answer to that problem and thus the forced change is unnecessary.

AFL house are supposed to be custodians of the game but seem to spend the majority of their energy undermining it.

custodian
kʌˈstəʊdɪən/
noun

1. a person who has responsibility for taking care of or protecting something.
40 years plus of watching footy and I'm hard pressed to think of any rule change that has been an improvement. Maybe the interchange bench, that's it.

It is strange that the biggest reason ratings are dropping is because they are removing more of the violence and personality from the game . These rule changes may result in more goals and more excitement but they need to make the game more aggressive, not less.

40 years plus of watching footy and I'm hard pressed to think of any rule change that has been an improvement. Maybe the interchange bench, that's it.

June 2: Flick pass outlawed. Ball had to be struck with a clenched fist.
Centre rectangle (45m x 27m) experiment used by coaches Ron Barassi (Carlton) and Bill Stephen (Fitzroy).

An opponent became obliged to return ball to recipient of mark or free if the opponent had possession of the ball at the time of the umpire’s decision.

Introduction of the free against player kicking ball out of bounds on the full.

Umpires required to toss coin for captains for the first time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back