Retired #18: Matthew Lloyd - Diagnosed with Bell's Palsy - 15/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Hands up if you were there the day he kicked 13 against South Melbourne.

Incredible day.
Of course !!! He kicked a few on Luffy, so we started the count " that's two Luffy, that's three Luffy" , etc etc, then he was switched after five or six and what does Luffy start doing ? Kicking them himself of course " that's one Luffy,that's two Luffy"

Watching Lloydy talk about the likelihood of Buddy cracking the magical 1000 goal barrier last night, it actually made me angry to stop and think of how close he himself got to doing it and how ultimately pointless the things that prevented him from doing so were.

In a decade (and then some) where our once-proud club couldn't muster up a single finals win (and barely even manage to make that stage every other year), it would have been brilliant to see one of our greatest players achieve something so rare. Looking back, he was only 74 goals short of the 1000. Considering he only kicked under 50 goals 5 times in 15 seasons (his first two seasons as a teenager, two years cut short by serious injuries and his last year when he was mentally done), another two years in a merely reasonable team and he'd have got there. He was only 31 when he retired. 31!!!

The most annoying thing is that Knights wanting him to move up the ground to develop other forwards came to absolutely nothing in the end. If we had a forward now in his prime as a result of that move, I could cop it. Sadly, nothing related to Essendon in that time amounted to anything at all, yet Lloyd was all but denied the chance to join a very select group because of it. * sake!

The great man turns 40 today.

Still miss him, nine years later.
40!?! Jesus, that makes me feel old. I remember watching his debut as an 8 year old and he was only, what, 17 or something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His old man passed away, may he Rest In Peace.

Bit of commentary about Matthew and his brother in Carlton’s write up too, he could’ve gone father son at one stage but then they missed out because “red tape”;

Remove this Banner Ad

Back