Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

18 - Hurley.jpg

Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
In typical fashion, we * this guy over one last time by creating a shitstorm rather than giving him a nice sendoff.

Love ya Hurls, get away from this joint as quick as you can.
I love this bloke so much. I loved him before that interview on the footy show or whatever it was post suspension but heā€™s just a big hearted bloke, he deserves so much more than we were able to give him.

Terrific player and like all most other players of the period deserved so much more. These guys played 3 full seasons with drugs s**t over their head then missed a season. Four years wasted. Hurls has missed an additional two with injuries. 6 years out of his career. Wish him all the best

šŸ˜¢

It really sucks that the big bearā€™s send off is coming with the club in such a state, but I am nonetheless glad heā€™s getting a final game.

At his best, the man was a genuine star.

Go well Mick.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Just loved the club. Place would be a lot better with more blokes like him around. Great player crueled by injury. One of my all time favourites
He was great but couldā€™ve been so much more with a bit of luck with his body and a few less *******s running our club (or going to a professional environment). That first season I was in awe. Outmarking Tredrea body to body in his first game, kicking 4 against Hawthorne to knock the reigning premiers out of the finals including outside fifty on his non preferred.

All Australian, banned from playing for a year, comes back and All Australian again. Now comes back after a hip replacement and plays again when no one thought he would.

Hurls has always busted his arse for us and weā€™ve let him down again and again and continue to. An absolute ****ing king.

Petrify

Premiership Player
Mar 1, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Have to play him up forward and get him a cheeky goal

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Thank you hurls. One of my all time favorites. We failed you then your body failed you. Itā€™s going to be an emotional Saturday night. Will never forget being there for his 4 goals against hawthorn in 2009 to take us to finals, was a special afternoon.

Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
New York Rangers, New York Knicks
guy deserved better than us.

doesnt even get the build up to his final game he deserves cause of the ******* s**t show this club is.

* essendon.

We love ya Bear

Stick him in the goalsquare. Who gives a fruit if he doesn't get a kick. Eat some pies and donuts while you're waiting for a kick.

Last edited:
Back