Retired #18: Michael Hurley 🐻 - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Was he 100% yesterday?

Seemed to be a yard behind his opponent most of the match which hurt us when he was taken up the ground. Needs to be told he has Rance licence of staying in the defensive 50m and someone else takes his man when he leaves the 55-60m arc.

remember when he destroyed tredrea 1:1 in his first game? i miss that Hurls. I'm sure he's still got it in him but needs to get his body ship shape and the balance of defence and attack better. he really misses Hooksy down there - need a clone asap.

Hurley was clearly underdone/not fully fit. When he's in full flight he regularly leads his opponent to the ball yet on Saturday he couldn't even keep up with Sinclair.

Yep, his job is to set up play.

The fact that when they shut Hurley down and we can't get the ball out is a huge problem.

Hurley is doing his job fine it's others that need to lift.
Hurley gets the less accountable matchup and isn't on the chopping block when his man kicks a few goals. Ambrose is solely a lock down defender. Hartley isn't loved by the coach and brown couldn't get a run at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yodell was making the same point last week. Hurley gets more leeway than others. But then, Yodell doesn't like Hurley much at the best of times.

The all need to lift and that's including Hurley.

Yodell rates Hartley so sometimes it makes me think that he's just trolling.

It was his first game back from injury and he might have been rushed back a little early due to the importance of the game. Sydney has free run of the midfield and were kicking inside 50 at will so it made the defenders' job hard.

Two lots of surgery on his wrists and hip/s, should be doing full training after Christmas.

All Australian defender Michael Hurley is set to undergo two post-season arthroscopes but the procedures are unlikely to significantly impinge on his pre-season campaign.

He’ll undergo arthroscopes to repair wrist and hip complaints and it’s likely he’ll be on a restricted training program when the pre-season gets underway.

“’Hurls’ will have a slight modification at the start of the pre-season but be up and running by Christmas and in everything beyond that,” High Performance Manager Justin Crow said.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-09-19/injury-wrap-september-19

That could explain his reluctance to use his mid-section/hips to make body contact in the contest this year. Explains why his 1:1 defence fell away from his normal standards as the season wore on.

Hurley's ability to generate drive out of the back half is without question now. We need to develop someone else in that role now and make Hurls number 2 so that opposition planning goes into stopping the other guy. Having Hurley as the back up guy in this role will ensure opposition will struggle to curtail both.

Obviously, Hurley can go back to being the rebounder primarily as he gets older to preserve his body.

Also, regarding his height, we need another tall back. I have posted elsewhere I think Strachan from VFL list is a cheap option. This way when we come up against height like Sydney or West Coast, Hurley and Ambrose can take 3rd and 4th defenders.

That could explain his reluctance to use his mid-section/hips to make body contact in the contest this year. Explains why his 1:1 defence fell away from his normal standards as the season wore on.
Yep, also explains why he was always chasing but never keeping up with his opponent in the final.

Here's hoping for a good off season for the champ

It's sad that our supposed AA CHB is incapable of defending an opponent in an aerial 1v1. Is effectively just a taller back flanker now. I want 2015 Hurls back :'(.

Nailed it - Does need to play 3 or 4 kgs heavier in 2018 - He played too light in 2017 - A lucky selection as AA - He's 2015 was a class above his 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back