Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg

Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Hurley was a bit rusty early but that 4th quarter he was enormous. He was just everywhere stopping all their forays forward and he must have put his kicking boots on because he was kicking lasers in that quarter. Especially loved the kick on the run to Tippa in the forward line, that was all class.

adsla69k

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
He played 1 good quarter. I think it's only fair he gets paid 1/4 his weekly salary for the week. $4,868 of $19,472.
I expect more from him. Lance pays me out but Hurls was undeniably below his best in the later half of last year. We pay him to defend not get 30 touches and most of them be hospital balls.

He's never been the type to hit the ground running. I think he may have started last season slow from memory as well .
He did. Then he was best on ground by a country mile against Melbourne despite us losing by six goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knight Ryders

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Glenelg
Always starts the season a bit slow - I think he needs a few games to get some touch back. Still, pretty ******* good game considering he wasn't at his best

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I was seriously concerned last night that he was going to be our version of phase 2 Corey McKernan... because he looked really lost quite a few times.

Itā€™s a combination of that (our gamestyle) and a decent number of intercept possessions.

Doesnā€™t matter who you are, you donā€™t get 28 disposals if you donā€™t run or position or win ball or intercept.

In a different side, I could see him being a 20 possie per game player.

My only criticism is that his marking lacks surety. Iā€™m sure itā€™s his gnarly scaphoids that have plagued him his whole career. His confidence in them seems low.
I had a mate who I used to play cricket with who broke his scaphoid. As a result, his wrist had lost its movement and he struggled to bring his hands together to catch a cricket ball because he couldnā€™t get them to align. I would not be surprised if Hurls has the same issue, hence the teflon hands and love of a chest mark.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hurley was having a shocker for the first 3 quarters. He did well in the last though.

He always has a bad game after coming from injury (like the EF last year). Should be alright next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back