Player Watch #18: Michael Hurley - Shoulder surgery, will join pre-season training after Christmas - 10/9

bomberlegend2007

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Perfect recruit for GC with the priority pick. 4 year contract at close to 1 mill per year can lay some foundations for them while they try and rebuild that club.

Gives us a first rounder to work with, close to 1 mill in cap space and fill some holes we desperately need.

I reckon we can cope with a backline of BZT, Hooker, Ambrose, Francis, Ridley next year. Its the type of ambitious changes that need to be made.
I can always rely on you to give me a great chuckle, Kelvin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fairbump_playon

All Australian
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The “good” thing about his injury is that it’s definitely not the AC that he just got back from. Could actually be a muscle tear from the over stretch rather than structural

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
We need Hurley and Hooker for the final. Their passion and leadership is a definite requirement if we are to win. Im sure Hurls will cope with any pain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
About 7.45 into this one, Harvs talking about Hurls. "Might be pre-empting it a little bit but pretty sure he'll get up"

I think the fact that Hartley and Zerk played full games today maybe indicates club is confident re Hurley.

Coldacre

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
they said something about Hurl’s injury on the radio just now.... couldn’t quite hear it!

PhoenixBonez

All Australian
Jan 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Came back early from an AC joint injury on his left shoulder earlier this year. Dislocated right shoulder 2 weeks ago. May be having surgery on both post season.

Cut him some slack please. Was not our worst despite the above.

Howard Moon

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
We never learn do we, it's a huge club flaw.

Never learned from 1990 gf, 01 gf, countless other finals where we took in inj players with big names.

You can't carry inj players into finals, it dosent work.

Id have thought the efforts of snelling and ham would show a fit squad player should trump an inj star under the finals furnace

But back to hurls, I love the bloke, clearly playing sore so I cut slack but in general I'm not sure moving forward.

Leadership, immense, positioning, organisation, super.

But when you get to the Nitty gritty, he often let's the ball over the back, or if trying to kill it will spoil into dangerous areas. If you are the zone off man you'd better have great disposal and decisions. I notice the bulk of our defenders look for quick slicing kicks to get our attacks moving. Hurls seems to wait, hold, either go back, sideways or dump long to the 45. Not sure that method fits our 'style' anymore?

When he gets a game on his terms he can be immense, but too often it isn't the case and he can get exposed personally or more crucially stymy the game we are trying to set up.

Hope we can identify a role for him moving forward that can maximize what he can go but get the ball in his hands less, can he still lock down when fit and firing?

Top Bottom