Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Hurley is essentially this boardā€™s Rorschach test. An easy way to work out whether someone is crazy or not

The ā€œgoodā€ thing about his injury is that itā€™s definitely not the AC that he just got back from. Could actually be a muscle tear from the over stretch rather than structural

They can strap the hell out of it but there is a good chance he'll require surgery at some point because it will be unstable AF. Fingers crossed he can get up and push surgery back to the end of the year.

We need Hurley and Hooker for the final. Their passion and leadership is a definite requirement if we are to win. Im sure Hurls will cope with any pain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 7.45 into this one, Harvs talking about Hurls. "Might be pre-empting it a little bit but pretty sure he'll get up"

I think the fact that Hartley and Zerk played full games today maybe indicates club is confident re Hurley.

they said something about Hurlā€™s injury on the radio just now.... couldnā€™t quite hear it!

Came back early from an AC joint injury on his left shoulder earlier this year. Dislocated right shoulder 2 weeks ago. May be having surgery on both post season.

Cut him some slack please. Was not our worst despite the above.

We never learn do we, it's a huge club flaw.

Never learned from 1990 gf, 01 gf, countless other finals where we took in inj players with big names.

You can't carry inj players into finals, it dosent work.

Id have thought the efforts of snelling and ham would show a fit squad player should trump an inj star under the finals furnace

But back to hurls, I love the bloke, clearly playing sore so I cut slack but in general I'm not sure moving forward.

Leadership, immense, positioning, organisation, super.

But when you get to the Nitty gritty, he often let's the ball over the back, or if trying to kill it will spoil into dangerous areas. If you are the zone off man you'd better have great disposal and decisions. I notice the bulk of our defenders look for quick slicing kicks to get our attacks moving. Hurls seems to wait, hold, either go back, sideways or dump long to the 45. Not sure that method fits our 'style' anymore?

When he gets a game on his terms he can be immense, but too often it isn't the case and he can get exposed personally or more crucially stymy the game we are trying to set up.

Hope we can identify a role for him moving forward that can maximize what he can go but get the ball in his hands less, can he still lock down when fit and firing?

Tonight was just embarrassing playing a key defender who spent the entire night running away from players and contact.That effort late in the third where he just ran 5m under the ball against wateman that allowed him to run into an open goal was awful.

Tonight aside as clearly injured this love affair with him playing as a loose intercept defender has to stop. He doesnā€™t play it well, Hooker is much better at it. Hurley canā€™t mark over head is a poor decision maker and slow to move the ball on and is a poor kick. So why do we want the ball in his hands?
He has to be a lock down key defender and thatā€™s it. Fix his wrist and shoulder be prepared to make body contact again and not be so easy to beat one on one or he is a huge liability going forward especially with hookers form the second half of the year. I donā€™t understand the love affair with his form from so many supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back