Player Watch #18: Michael Hurley - Surgery for high grade AC joint injury, hopeful to return in 2019 - 14/7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

biglaycock

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2007
Bomber Land
AFL Club
Essendon
Hmmm got a touch up tonight but Kennedy is an absolute workhorse and strong as a bull.

No need to throw the toys from the cot yet as his form over the past 4-5 has been solid

JayJ20

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s probably a player I rate less than other Essendon fans. He’s had a good month prior to last night, but he shouldn’t be making the mistakes he makes at this stage of his career. Loses too many defensive contests to be in the top end of the competition.

We need him to reach his AA heights by winning more defensive contests and making better decisions when kicking in our defensive half. Could learn a lot from Ambrose and Hooker.

Also, be more desperate on the goal line!!!

Howard Moon

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Kennedy just beat him with pure fwd craft

the double leads, the push offs, the little things that expose Hurley's agility and pace

Runk

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Considering the amount of time it spent in our defence (and it was there forever), not mention how it was coming in, he and the rest of our defence were always in for a massive night. For mine, whilst he didn't have a great game he certainly didn't let himself down.

Kennedy was just excellent last night. His jump at the ball, ability to mark in packs and speed are very hard to counter. A very smart forward and perhaps underrated by a few in here.

Loonerty

Jun 1, 2008
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
Considering the amount of time it spent in our defence (and it was there forever), not mention how it was coming in, he and the rest of our defence were always in for a massive night. For mine, whilst he didn't have a great game he certainly didn't let himself down.

Kennedy was just excellent last night. His jump at the ball, ability to mark in packs and speed are very hard to counter. A very smart forward and perhaps underrated by a few in here.
He was noticeably much quieter as soon as Ambrose went to him though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm

Kennedy's supply doesn't excuse Hurley for being all at sea against him.

Was s**thouse last night.

kelvin_sheedy

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
His brain fade on the goal line two weeks in a row is un ******* forgivable. It was in the first quarter and we were actually pretty competitive at that stage and to let a s**tty goal go through is just a complete letdown.

Instead of going into quarter time with a few goal lead and putting scoreboard pressure we continue to cough up schoolboy s**t form our senior leaders.

Every week, same s**t.

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
His brain fade on the goal line two weeks in a row is un ******* forgivable. It was in the first quarter and we were actually pretty competitive at that stage and to let a ****ty goal go through is just a complete letdown.

Instead of going into quarter time with a few goal lead and putting scoreboard pressure we continue to cough up schoolboy **** form our senior leaders.

Every week, same ****.
Big deal. Will be a 3x All Australian end of the year. We’d be in a world of trouble without him.

Vander18

Club Legend
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Bad match up - Kennedy has Hurley for height, reach and spring. Factor in the supply he was getting and Hurls was on a hiding to nothing.

He is much more effective on DeGoey types than the real gorillas like Kennedy or Hawkins.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Geez people are harsh on Hurley after 1 bad game. Yes he did get well beaten on the night but firstly he was up against an absolute gun in Kennedy who is probably only behind Franklin as the best forward of the last decade. Secondly our whole side was getting well beaten and the delivery into Kennedy was very good plus Kennedy was in rare marking touch. Yes Hurley had a shocker as well but in fairness to him he's been excellent the last 4-5 games with at least 2-3 games in our best 5 players.

I also don't understand getting angry at players missing balls that bounce through on the goal line. Its not like they do it on purpose or just aren't trying. Sometimes the ball just takes a surprising bounce. Its really the least of our issues. The real problem is why the hell is ball going in our inside 50 so many times to begin with.

Rezzzz

Draftee
Jul 20, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Needs a stint in the 2s. I know I will cop crap for this however. He cannot mark, he cannot kick, he cannot tackle, he cannot run, he cannot for god sakes put his arms up to man the mark whilst opposition is shooting for goal. He lacks desperation on the goal line and shys away from all contact altogether. His performance is glossed over by cheap uncontested 98/111 marks and sideways kicks. All he is good for is booting the ball as far as possible and making it somebody else’s problem. Not to mention 6 tackles for the year. We gave him an overpriced long term deal and this is the end result. Rant over.

Attachments

Last edited:

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
Nah. I doubt it. You can’t objectively say he is the best player in the competition in his position. Saad the only one in contention for a spot.
I suppose nothing’s a cert but he’d one of the best three tall defenders? Big chance surely.

Top Bottom