Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Yes you can catch it if vaxxed but overwhelmingly, worldwide, hospitalisations, serious illnesses and deaths are massively skewed to those who are unvaccinated.

I did some reading online over the last couple of weeks after the guy at my wife's work was positive, and I found a lot of conflicting information, so it's hard to know what to believe... however we're all vaccinated so whatever happens happens. Just looking forward to getting back some normalcy.

Don't want to derail the thread any more so I'll leave it there...

A professional athlete isn't a normal patient to be fair, what the doctor would recommend for a normal patient, versus what the goal is in this situation, are miles apart.
Without Googling it, Iā€™d be amazed if there were many examples of elite contact sports people returning from a hip replacement. This would surely fall into the experimental category due to a lack of precedents to go by.

Has an AFL player ever actually returned to a playing career following a hip replacement?

Never heard of it.

Without Googling it, Iā€™d be amazed if there were many examples of elite contact sports people returning from a hip replacement. This would surely fall into the experimental category due to a lack of precedents to go by.

Closest I could find with a quick google was Andy Murray having had hip surgery and getting back to professional tennis in 2019, not necessarily the same sporting demands or same procedure though.

Mostly it appears athletes play through the pain, then get the surgery done post-career.

I've had this exact operation at the same age as hurls is now. It's a brutal thing for the body to go through and I'd be amazed if he returned to AFL level. He obviously has the dedication though and I hope he can do it. For what it's worth, as a good amateur athlete, my surgeon (who I assume would also be the same guy that did Hurls as he is the only guy in Melbourne doing the ceramic hip resurfacing) advised me that my marathon running days were over and that it will never feel as good as your own undamaged hip because it is a prosthetic joint at the end of the day. The idea behind getting them is to alleviate chronic pain and getting back to normal life activities. So the fact that Andy Murray got back to the level he has is unbelievable.

The resurfacing replacement is more painful and difficult in the first 6 months post surgery and then dramatically increases thereafter vs the total hip where it's not as bad post-op but is a slower and steady recover. The reason being is that the resurfacing is actually more invasive to get the tools in to drill all the s**t bone out.

First and foremost I'm stoked to hear that following the hip replacement he is now pain free. Whether he plays again or not, I think being at the club rehabbing is the best thing for him, but having the carrot of playing again is a helpful incentive that could be beneficial for his long term outcomes.

Closest I could find with a quick google was Andy Murray having had hip surgery and getting back to professional tennis in 2019, not necessarily the same sporting demands or same procedure though.

Mostly it appears athletes play through the pain, then get the surgery done post-career.
I believe it is the exact same op Andy Murray had.
It is a hip resurfacing, rather than a full hip replacement.
No other AFL player has had this op and played again to my knowledge. But I also don't know if any have even had the op whilst still on a list.
If you haven't already, put any dreams of Hurley playing again to bed. It will be very unlikely.

I've had this exact operation at the same age as hurls is now. It's a brutal thing for the body to go through and I'd be amazed if he returned to AFL level. He obviously has the dedication though and I hope he can do it. For what it's worth, as a good amateur athlete, my surgeon (who I assume would also be the same guy that did Hurls as he is the only guy in Melbourne doing the ceramic hip resurfacing) advised me that my marathon running days were over and that it will never feel as good as your own undamaged hip because it is a prosthetic joint at the end of the day. The idea behind getting them is to alleviate chronic pain and getting back to normal life activities. So the fact that Andy Murray got back to the level he has is unbelievable.

The resurfacing replacement is more painful and difficult in the first 6 months post surgery and then dramatically increases thereafter vs the total hip where it's not as bad post-op but is a slower and steady recover. The reason being is that the resurfacing is actually more invasive to get the tools in to drill all the sh*t bone out.

I actually just had the ReCerf procedure done 10 days ago in Melbourne at the age of 29. I would assume also done by the same surgeon as yourself.

The resurfacing matches the anatomy and is meant to allow younger people to return to competitive sports whereas the total hip replacement has a lot more limitations due to cutting off the top of the femur.

Really interested to see how far Hurley can push it. I wish him nothing but the best of luck!

I actually just had the ReCerf procedure done 10 days ago in Melbourne at the age of 29. I would assume also done by the same surgeon as yourself.

The resurfacing matches the anatomy and is meant to allow younger people to return to competitive sports whereas the total hip replacement has a lot more limitations due to cutting off the top of the femur.

Really interested to see how far Hurley can push it. I wish him nothing but the best of luck!

Pretty sure you have hit the nail on the head.:)
He has not had the standard hip replacement where they cut the bone and replace the cup and ball which is what most older folks get.

Bo Jackson one of US best athletes had hip replacement and his career was over ā€¦but that was back in the early 90s and surgery and parts are better today. Still sounds like this will be a long shot
One of the great tragedies of professional sports.

For anyone who doesnā€™t know Bo, check out his highlights (MLB and NFL) on YouTube - the single most powerful athlete I have ever seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First and foremost I'm stoked to hear that following the hip replacement he is now pain free. Whether he plays again or not, I think being at the club rehabbing is the best thing for him, but having the carrot of playing again is a helpful incentive that could be beneficial for his long term outcomes.
I just think it's pretty awesome that the club is doing the right thing by him. He could have been delisted, but there is clearly a strong respect for duty of care.

Bo Jackson came back from a hip replacement to play Major League Baseball but he was a freak

ā€œMichael has been managing a degenerative hip for many years and after the infection earlier this year it became quite symptomatic with everyday life, not just playing football,ā€ Mahoney said.ā€

Now we have an answer as to how an elite 1v1 defender and kick of the footy went downhill in those areas at such a seemingly young age. Feel like an idiot thinking it could of been a lack of confidence/yips.

Personally think heā€™s crazy to try and come back. My grandfather has had several issues with his hip replacement wearing out but then again I know nothing.

Bo Jackson came back from a hip replacement to play Major League Baseball but he was a freak
Only for a season though and wasnā€™t the same player. Never played football again after hip injury. But he had a more demanding role as a running back

Another Update

Essendon 2021: Michael Hurley has had same hip surgery as Andy Murray in a bid to play again
Michael Hurley and tennis great Andy Murray suddenly have a lot more in common than they realise. This is why the Scot looms as the ideal lightning rod for the veteran Bomber.

Leading sports medicine physician Dr Peter Brukner has revealed Michael Hurleyā€™s hip surgery is the same procedure that helped get three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray back playing elite tennis.
As revealed by News Corp, Essendon veteran Hurley has undergone hip joint replacement surgery in a bid to extract another year out of his AFL career.

Describing Hurleyā€™s hip operation as ā€œunusualā€, Dr Brukner was not aware of any AFL footballer returning from this type of surgery but said it gave the Bomber a chance to get back playing football again.

Hurley failed to play a game this year and lost more than 10kg after he was floored by a serious infection in his hip.

Dr Brukner said the surgery had been successful to get Murray back on court.

ā€œItā€™s the same procedure as Andy Murray had a couple of years ago,ā€ Dr Brukner told SEN.

ā€œRemember he had initial hip surgery that wasnā€™t that successful and then a year later he had this resurfacing.

ā€œHe was tempted to do it because of the experience of Bob Bryan, one of the US doubles players. It resurrected his career and he recommended it to Andy Murray and Andy Murray has managed to get back to playing at the elite level.

ā€œIt took him a while, he initially played doubles then singles and a few setbacks and so on but he eventually made it.

ā€œIā€™m not aware that any AFL footballer has come back after this surgery but itā€™s an unusual surgery so that doesnā€™t rule him out.

ā€œIt certainly gives him a chance but more importantly it certainly takes away that chronic pain that he has been suffering for a number of months.ā€

Dr Brukner detailed the procedure Hurley underwent, describing it as a resurfacing and not as significant as a full hip replacement.

ā€œTechnically he has had a hip replacement but it is not your typical hip replacement that older people have from arthritis,ā€ Dr Brukner said.

ā€œItā€™s what we call a resurfacing, or a Birmingham procedure.

ā€œThe hip is a ball and socket joint, so you have got the ball which is the head of the thigh bone and the socket is a socket in the hip bone.

ā€œWhen you do a full hip replacement you remove the whole top of the femur bone, the thigh bone, whereas in this resurfacing what they do is they just remove the damaged part at the end of ball if you like and replace it with a metal cap so itā€™s not as significant a procedure as the full hip replacement.ā€

Dr Brukner said Hurley faced a slow rehabilitation process over ā€œthree or four monthsā€ but there was no certainty over his playing future.

ā€œItā€™s certainly no certainty but it is a possibility,ā€ Dr Brukner said.

ā€œAs I said he would probably be the first AFL player to do it but the demands of elite tennis with someone like Andy Murray is probably not that dissimilar to the demands of AFL.

ā€œHe is certainly a chance. His age probably doesnā€™t help him, he is 31 so thatā€™s a bit of a problem.

ā€œBut the main thing from his point of view is that he has got rid of his pain and his whole life has probably changed as a result of it.

ā€œSo thatā€™s the big attraction for Michael and if he can get back and play football thatā€™s a bonus.ā€

Another Update

Essendon 2021: Michael Hurley has had same hip surgery as Andy Murray in a bid to play again
Michael Hurley and tennis great Andy Murray suddenly have a lot more in common than they realise. This is why the Scot looms as the ideal lightning rod for the veteran Bomber.

Leading sports medicine physician Dr Peter Brukner has revealed Michael Hurleyā€™s hip surgery is the same procedure that helped get three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray back playing elite tennis.
As revealed by News Corp, Essendon veteran Hurley has undergone hip joint replacement surgery in a bid to extract another year out of his AFL career.

Describing Hurleyā€™s hip operation as ā€œunusualā€, Dr Brukner was not aware of any AFL footballer returning from this type of surgery but said it gave the Bomber a chance to get back playing football again.

Hurley failed to play a game this year and lost more than 10kg after he was floored by a serious infection in his hip.

Dr Brukner said the surgery had been successful to get Murray back on court.

ā€œItā€™s the same procedure as Andy Murray had a couple of years ago,ā€ Dr Brukner told SEN.

ā€œRemember he had initial hip surgery that wasnā€™t that successful and then a year later he had this resurfacing.

ā€œHe was tempted to do it because of the experience of Bob Bryan, one of the US doubles players. It resurrected his career and he recommended it to Andy Murray and Andy Murray has managed to get back to playing at the elite level.

ā€œIt took him a while, he initially played doubles then singles and a few setbacks and so on but he eventually made it.

ā€œIā€™m not aware that any AFL footballer has come back after this surgery but itā€™s an unusual surgery so that doesnā€™t rule him out.

ā€œIt certainly gives him a chance but more importantly it certainly takes away that chronic pain that he has been suffering for a number of months.ā€

Dr Brukner detailed the procedure Hurley underwent, describing it as a resurfacing and not as significant as a full hip replacement.

ā€œTechnically he has had a hip replacement but it is not your typical hip replacement that older people have from arthritis,ā€ Dr Brukner said.

ā€œItā€™s what we call a resurfacing, or a Birmingham procedure.

ā€œThe hip is a ball and socket joint, so you have got the ball which is the head of the thigh bone and the socket is a socket in the hip bone.

ā€œWhen you do a full hip replacement you remove the whole top of the femur bone, the thigh bone, whereas in this resurfacing what they do is they just remove the damaged part at the end of ball if you like and replace it with a metal cap so itā€™s not as significant a procedure as the full hip replacement.ā€

Dr Brukner said Hurley faced a slow rehabilitation process over ā€œthree or four monthsā€ but there was no certainty over his playing future.

ā€œItā€™s certainly no certainty but it is a possibility,ā€ Dr Brukner said.

ā€œAs I said he would probably be the first AFL player to do it but the demands of elite tennis with someone like Andy Murray is probably not that dissimilar to the demands of AFL.

ā€œHe is certainly a chance. His age probably doesnā€™t help him, he is 31 so thatā€™s a bit of a problem.

ā€œBut the main thing from his point of view is that he has got rid of his pain and his whole life has probably changed as a result of it.

ā€œSo thatā€™s the big attraction for Michael and if he can get back and play football thatā€™s a bonus.ā€
This is exactly what I was hoping to read to clarify the extent of the surgery. Cheers!

A number of NHL players have had it (or something similar) The most notorious being Nikita Kucherov who's 5 months out meant he missed the entire regular season (And therefore his $11.5 million salary didn't count against the cap) Upon returning in the 2nd round of the playoffs he was the leading scorer in the playoffs as Tampa won the cup (again)

Hockey is definitely a contact sport

Without sounding like a downer, itā€™s odds-on that heā€™s finished. Has a year now on good money to work out what he might be interested in for the next chapter, so heā€™s not in a terrible position. Good luck to him, loved him as a player, along with Rance heā€™s one of the competitionā€™s best key defenders of the past decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back