Retired #18: Michael Hurley 🐻 - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Re: 22. Michael Hurley

hurl.jpg

Height: 193cm
Weight: 91kg
Date of Birth: 1/6/1990
Recruited From: Northern Knights: Pick 5 2008 National Draft
Under 18's All Australian side 2007 and 2008

Essendon’s first pick in the 2008 national draft has been quick to show everyone at the club why he was rated so highly. The 18-year-old has demonstrated excellent foot skills at training and is considered a big chance to play senior footy this year. Big and composed he appears to be a 10-year key position player and a perfect future replacement for Dustin Fletcher.
From Essendonfc.com.au

Hurley is a big, strong defender with a mean streak. He’s a player with great control of the space around him and he reads the play brilliantly.
Emma Quayle

Hurley may be the answer to many of Essendon's prayers, such as freeing up Ryder to play ruck, and replacing the old stalwart in Fletcher. After seeing his composure first hand when confronted by the reality of being a celebrity I'm quite satisfied that we have a keeper on our hands.

A St Kilda supporter growing up, Hurley quickly disposed of all allegiances following his selection by Essendon.

“You can forget about St Kilda, I am an Essendon boy now,”

Hey all.

I did not get to see much of the game tonight against Collingwood.

I'd like to know how Hurley looked.

Are we excited? Does he look like he will be a player for us?

Hey all.

I did not get to see much of the game tonight against Collingwood.

I'd like to know how Hurley looked.

Are we excited? Does he look like he will be a player for us?
I liked the look of him.

Came on in the second half and played deep back for pretty much the whole time. Took some marks off Collingwood kicks and looked comfortable.

Played mostly Anthony and was beaten a few times, but i think the was a positive to come out of tonights game.

Looks like he could play a few games early on as well, very strong build.

Lacks pace off the mark big time. He looks a decent footballer but whether full back is his calling card i very much doubt it.

Got 5 kicked on him, not a great first game.

I wouldn't be too harsh on him.

He was put on Collingwood's most dangerous forward (for the night) whom already had 3-4 goals to his name.

Further, he's just come back from a gall-bladder op and hasn't had enough training sessions under the belt

Looked pretty composed in defence to me

it's only one example but i liked when he took the mark in front of a pack quite easily then did a nice long kick to winderlich (even though he didn't hold onto it)

i don't know what everyone else was doing but he seemed to judge the ball quite nicely

I'm posting this here just so it's somewhere easy for me to find to read through later this year to compare to what I think during the season. These are the notes I took during the last quarter, which I spent exclusively watching Hurley. Note I didn't really notice him during the other 3 quarters so these just relate to the last quarter:

• Pantsed by Anthony
  • Often caught wrong footed and out of position
  • Didn't get in many clear spoils, if any
  • Out sprinted on leads regularly
  • Always knew where his man was
  • If he was without an opponent he'd look to see if there was a loose man inside 50
  • Might be too short to play as a key position backman in the AFL
  • Knew when and when not to go at the ball
  • Watchful of where his opponent might lead
  • Stamina didn't seem great yet
  • Didn't seem to get too down spirited as Anthony kicked goal after goal
  • Not ready for Round 1, but should get regular games this year
  • Not afraid to follow his man up the ground

I saw this kid play 3 games last year . He starred in all 3 .
He will be a gun 10 year plus player for you guys . I'm jealous that we didn't get him .
Might need a little bit of time to find his feet in AFL footy , but he will make it . Probably win a B&F or 2 for you along the way as well .

Anyway , good luck to Michael Hurley from a hated Carlton supporter !

:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=6417

Hurley in 'shock' about Round 1 Debut
Essendon's top pick in the 2008 NAB National Draft, Michael Hurley, admits to being 'shocked' when told he would make his AFL debut on Sunday against Port Adelaide. "I got out of a team meeting on Tuesday and Knighta asked me to speak with him and he sat me down in his office and said 'congratulations you are playing on Sunday'," Hurley said.
"He told me to play my natural game, I will be playing down back and he told me to back myself and not get too overawed by the situation.
"I was shocked because I didn't think I would play in Round 1 but I was also excited."

The 19-year-old key position back man was taken by Essendon with pick No.5 overall and is seen as a likely replacement for veteran Dustin Fletcher.
"I am a bit nervous about playing but I am also excited to get into it," Hurley said.

"I've been at the club for awhile so I am used to being around the Essendon boys but when I see Tredrea and Westhoff and those boys I will be a bit nervous to play against them.

"Some of the senior guys have told me to relax and not let it worry me. They said do my normal preparation and guys like Paddy Ryder and Dustin Fletcher have been supportive."

Hurley - who has never played at AAMI Stadium - said playing AFL is a life-long dream but he hadn't made any plans for a 2009 debut.
"I tried not to set any goals when it came to playing games this year because I just wanted a solid pre-season and, if I went well, things would look after themselves," he said.

"I let mum and dad know straight away (that I was selected) and they are excited to be heading over to Adelaide to have a look. They didn't give me any advice yet, it probably hasn't really sunk in yet for them or for me but I am sure we will discuss it as the day gets closer.
"A few good friends are also coming over and have been really supportive and they are excited too."

In one of the more bizarre injury stories of the pre-season, Hurley had surgery on a non-functioning gall bladder last month and missed two weeks of training.

"I was in hospital about six weeks ago so I am really happy with my recovery and now I have a great opportunity this weekend," he said.
"The night beforeI went to hospital I was in bad pain but, since then, it’s been fine. I feel great, in fact two weeks after the operation I was back to normal and it didn't really make any difference to my preparation."

Spot on RIG.. beat me to the post... the best thing about his game today:thumbsu: Gees, I got out of my chair when he outmaked Treadrea in the 2nd Q:)

Even his pressure on the mark looked good. Seems to have a good attitude towards doing the basic things right as well as the hard stuff. Such a reliable kick too.

He should always have gone top 3 in the draft. Looks like we might have finally caught a break with this 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back