Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:

I love Hurley.

As an older EFC fan who experienced the joyful times of 84/85, Iā€™ve always seen MH as a sort of reincarnation of Harvey. And like Harvs it started in his debut season as a very raw recruit.

That teeth gritting, psychopathic inner will to beat your opponent in a contest and be extremely peed off when you come off second best sometimes.

I hope he gets back even though I believe heā€™s cooked as a league player in this modern game.

Itā€™s hard to let your favourites go...

Premature but genuine concern over whether or not he will play again this year, or ever. :(

Best case scenario he only misses a few games.

thatā€™s ******* bullshit! cant believe heā€™s made up a story about being in hospital with an infection just so he can wear chinos and cruise down the yarra with some weird looking guy

It cracks me up this photo because it reminds of Tommyā€™s (Joe Pesci) mums ā€œold in boatā€ painting in the kitchen scene in Goodfellas lol

7AF61503-C20A-4AC5-A10F-243C9B1FD3CE.jpeg 96795868-8BC6-474F-A4B1-334769EA0479.jpeg

Last edited:
Is this sensationalist commercial media though? That's a hell of an infection if true.
He's been back in hospital twice since the initial surgery that we know of, so it probably wasn't responding to antibiotics as well as they'd have liked. So yes, hell of an infection.

Doesn't mean it's not sensationalist commercial media though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He missed photo day today, but they left a nice big gap in the middle of the team shot for him... probably someone else missing in the bottom left as well but idk who šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 21.29.07.png
Someone must've figured out where they'd be sitting/standing in advance, coz each row is wearing either Fujitsu or Amart šŸ¤”

He missed photo day today, but they left a nice big gap in the middle of the team shot for him... probably someone else missing in the bottom left as well but idk who šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

View attachment 1063200
Someone must've figured out where they'd be sitting/standing in advance, coz each row is wearing either Fujitsu or Amart šŸ¤”
As far as I can tell the only missing player is Hurley. Unless they left a spot open for Waterman...

This goes beyond football. I know it's probably been sensationalised, but Hurley's at an age where being able to move freely and run around with the kids for the rest of your life is a real consideration.

I'm sure he's getting the best health care. Sending good vibes to him and his family. I'd rather see him 100% recovered in 2022 than half recovered mid-way through 2021, not for the sake of the team, but for the sake of his future living standards.

I love Michael Hurley, I wish he was part of a premiership with us. He's been a beacon of consistency and hope throughout one of the worst periods of football for any football team.

View attachment 1063200
Someone must've figured out where they'd be sitting/standing in advance, coz each row is wearing either Fujitsu or Amart

The new recruit when they decide who?

Hadnā€™t read anything about Hurley other than the headlines, thought heā€™d be back soon enough...struggling to walk with crutches, not good. Get well soon big fella.

Apparently that was the first time his team mates have seen him for a while, weren't allowed to visit him. I guess that's COVID restrictions? But he must be back in the club bubble now since they were hugging him and stuff.

He still has the IV thing in his arm too. There's a pic of him showing the cannula to one of the trainers, and you can also see the IV bag hanging out from under his shirt in the photo above (if I'm not mistaken).

EvCMT_fVoAE1LeB.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back