Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

18 - Hurley.jpg

Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I am in hospital now hip replacement.numrber5.this is because of infection.
Not all infections are staph.during surgery they took swabs and try to grow cultures to determine which antibiotic will be most suitable to rid infection.
In my case there are 3 different typesof infections . The infections love metal in the body and they get in under screws etc that are in the prosthesis.i have had to have all the metal removed and "a spacer ' put in as a replacement for my hip.this plastic spacer will stay in place for 6weeks or so
Once infection is cleared.i wll have hip replacement 6 and metal prosthesis re inserted.

With the spacer i have limited movement and a load of pain.i hope michael is not heading down my path as he too young to have this happen

Jesus thatā€™s ****ed! All the best with it.

I guess... thereā€™s always people worse off? I dunno.

Good luck with it.

gingernuts

binlicker
Apr 25, 2018
the southern end of the minyip swamp
AFL Club
Geelong
Jesus thatā€™s fā€™ed! All the best with it.

I guess... thereā€™s always people worse off? I dunno
Good luck with it.
Nah there are lots worse off than me.i have something that can be fixed thankfully
The other thing is that during this last op my right femur got broken.
They wont be able to fix that until the metal hip gets put back in . 4-6 weeks away.
Thx for your kind thoughts

Unfazed

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Nah there are lots worse off than me.i have something that can be fixed thankfully
The other thing is that during this last op my right femur got broken.
They wont be able to fix that until the metal hip gets put back in . 4-6 weeks away.
Thx for your kind thoughts
God luck for your surgery. hope it goes well.

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure if it was posted somewhere already but doesn't sound positive from Nackers training report;

Hurley was also on the sidelines, and he unfortunately looks in a very bad way. He was struggling to walk even with the aid of crutches, and has lost considerable weight and is looking quite gaunt.
At this stage I would think a return to football isnā€™t even in their thoughts, itā€™s just a matter of looking after his overall health.

Not sure if it was posted somewhere already but doesn't sound positive from Nackers training report;
Doesn't sound like he's improved much since the pre-season game then :\ I wonder if he still has the IV antibiotics.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
I love Hurls and all but we can feasibly place him on the LTI list and take a mid season pick, yeah?

Good to keep options open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are we at with regards to the list?

Does the club have another spot open or does that require Hurley and Mosquito to be put on to the LTI list?

If the former, why not go for someone like:?

Zac Dumesny.
Sam Collins.
Noah Gadsby.
Lachlan Vanirsen.

If the latter, hold 2 picks over for the MSD.

Does Ross McQuillan make it 3 or did Baldwin replace McQuillan?

I love Hurls and all but we can feasibly place him on the LTI list and take a mid season pick, yeah?

Good to keep options open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has to miss the entire year for it to happen.
Where are we at with regards to the list?

Does the club have another spot open or does that require Hurley and Mosquito to be put on to the LTI list?

If the former, why not go for someone like:?

Zac Dumesny.
Sam Collins.
Noah Gadsby.
Lachlan Vanirsen.

If the latter, hold 2 picks over for the MSD.

Does Ross McQuillan make it 3 or did Baldwin replace McQuillan?
We have one spot left

Has to miss the entire year for it to happen.

He's lost so much weight I don't think it's realistic that he'll be back this year. It takes time to bulk guys up and he looks months away from stepping into the gym let alone putting serious work into rebuilding size and fitness.

He's lost so much weight I don't think it's realistic that he'll be back this year. It takes time to bulk guys up and he looks months away from stepping into the gym let alone putting serious work into rebuilding size and fitness.
The fatigue when he gets back into training will be the biggest issue. Have been in a similar position with a serious infection a few years ago and it took me 3 months of rehab to get back to work let alone playing high level sport. Hope I am wrong but he may be looking at a slow build into a pre season to be ready next year.

Thank you.

So they should try to grab another player and then put Hurley and Mosquito on the LTI list in readiness for the MSD.
No I was including Mozzie in that.

Christ he looks thin. Poor bloke has clearly been through a tough run.
He reminds me of Dustin Fletcher in the last game he played.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Christ he looks thin. Poor bloke has clearly been through a tough run.
Was just thinking the same thing, reckon itā€™ll be 2022 before we see him on field if ever again and tbh Iā€™m just wanting him to get better, I donā€™t care if he plays again. I love the big bear and aside from finding himself in the wrong situation as a drunk young buck (which weā€™ve all done), heā€™s been so much more than our club has deserved the last decade or so.

Back