Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

18 - Hurley.jpg

Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
this is why I avoid any kind of serious discussion in this place!
Oh is that why..?

I dunno. It's a good question but we have no clues about the answer. As far as I know he hasn't had any surgeries on his leg recently so it's not a complication of that. What other kind of infections do people get on their legs? Ingrown hair? Insect bite? Bacteria..?

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
just what kind of infection did he have?
If it's related to his hip op, probably some sort if staph infection - they are bad news

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

If it's related to his hip op, probably some sort if staph infection - they are bad news

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
Which would be why he was in hospital getting IV antibiotics, they need to hit staph hard.

Didn't we have another player not that long having to be in hospital on iv antibiotics for an infection?

Getting some strong de ja vu here..

Cellulitis is no joke.
Is that what it is? I knew someone who had that a couple of years ago. Didn't know what it was and didn't do anything about it until the fever set in.

Is that what it is? I knew someone who had that a couple of years ago. Didn't know what it was and didn't do anything about it until the fever set in.
That was Hooker. I can relate because i have had it too.

Jul 19, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon

All Australian defender Michael Hurley remains bed-ridden with a lingering leg infection and seems a distant prospect of playing in the season opener against Hawthorn.

sick_kitty.gif

:moustache:

Attachments

• 4tvion.jpg
    4tvion.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 181
Jul 19, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Back in hospital. Hope he's ok.

WHY HIP INFECTION IS A ā€œMAJOR CONCERNā€ FOR HURLEY AND ESSENDON
BY SEN 2 HOURS AGO

Tim Watson says there are major concerns surrounding Essendonā€™s Michael Hurley.

The 30-year-old has returned to hospital as he continues to deal with a serious infection in his hip that threatens to derail his 2021 season.

Former Bombers skipper Watson and SEN Breakfast co-host Garry Lyon discussed the Hurley situation which could see the veteran defender sidelined for some time still.

Lyon: ā€œIs it of grave concern, Michael Hurley, for the year?ā€

Watson: ā€œYes, from what Iā€™ve been told.ā€

Lyon: ā€œHis season? So it must be a serious infection?ā€

Watson: ā€œIt is, clearly it is. Heā€™s got an infection in his hip, he went into hospital to have it treated, he left hospital, he went home and now heā€™s back in hospital because theyā€™re still treating the infection.

ā€œThis is serious and they are really concerned about him and where heā€™s at right now. The number one concern right now is getting the infection under control. Itā€™s not about when heā€™s going to come back and train, itā€™s actually getting the infection under control.

ā€œItā€™s an injury that heā€™s had to carry over a long period of time. Heā€™s been bothered by hip concerns over his career.

ā€œHeā€™s had surgery before but I donā€™t think he had surgery recently. This is a result of something else. The concern is that they havenā€™t been able to get on top of the infection.

ā€œHeā€™s now probably been laid up and hasnā€™t been able to train for three weeks. When youā€™re inactive like that you know how quickly your body shuts down.

ā€œSo this is a major concern. Itā€™s a major concern for Michael Hurley, his family and his health right now. Thatā€™s the number one concern.ā€

Watson also highlighted the point that Hurley had been training with the forwards this pre-season in a bid to offer coach Ben Rutten a new dimension in attack.

ā€œThey were looking at trialling him as a forward this year as well, so already their plans have been disrupted in some way,ā€ he added.

ā€œJoe Daniherā€™s gone, Orazio Fantasia is gone, Jake Stringer at the moment is recovering from an achilles and they can drag for a long period of time, and Michael Hurley, one of the guys they were going to play up forward, is in hospital with a leg infection.

ā€œOn the other side of that, they recruited Peter Wright and are hopeful he is going to stand up and play. They drafted a lot of key position style kids who are very skinny and light, and they are going to take time.

ā€œAll plans are subject to change in football. Youā€™ve got to adapt and youā€™ve got to be agile around all these sorts of issues.ā€

Sending positive vibes to Hurley and family.

My 2021 got off to a poor start, 12 nights in hospital and 3 operations with a joint infection that came out of the blue. Had IV antibiotics for almost 4 weeks and finally off them and onto the tablets. Definitely not fun so I know how he would be feeling.
Hope youā€™re on the mend mate, doesnā€™t sound like a fun time.

Back