Retired #18: Michael Hurley 🐻 - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Fitness can come back pretty quick
i went from easily finishing a 10km run under 50mins (49m is under 50 :p)
post-chemo could barely run for 100m, particularly with an additional 15kg on.

i have nowhere near the elite aerobic capacity Hurls would have.
But within 6m i was back to running out 10ks and back to 50mins within 12m.

Priority is his overall health, but i wouldn't be surprised to see him back out there, and another year off the rigours of AFL may buy him further time in the game.

Might just be the fact it’s a clear purposeful photo, but he looks decently healthy and happy here. Obviously lost a lot of size, but it’s good to see him smiling.

56ED83FC-58AE-4FF5-979E-6B7161B08153.jpeg

Might just be the fact it’s a clear purposeful photo, but he looks decently healthy and happy here. Obviously lost a lot of size, but it’s good to see him smiling.

View attachment 1080944
looks like he could be the other small forward we are missing?

At the club every day doing 1-2 hours of exercise as part of his recovery

Essendon head of high performance Sean Murphy says vice-captain Michael Hurley is making steady progress as he recovers from a hip infection.

Dons’ fans will be delighted to hear the club vice-captain is now an everyday presence amongst the playing group, with the 30-year-old performing lengthy exercise in a sign of his burgeoning physical improvement.

Murphy said Hurley’s return to a training program is a positive sign the 193-game defender is on the right track to recover from a hip infection which has cruelled him for the past one and a half months.

“Hurls (Michael Hurley) is improving every single day,” Murphy told Dons Digital’s Performance Update.

“He’s been at the club every single day when the boys are in here. He provides energy for the guys (and) you can just see what sort of leader he is around the program.

“It’s been really important for him, but also for the club to have him around. He’s got his own program (and) he does one to two hours a day of genuinely strong exercises.

“It’s really nice to have him around the club and it’s important for the club in terms of that leadership space.”

He looks a helluva lot more healthy than he did 3 weeks ago. Still don't know that he'll play this season but I think there might be a chance for later rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea how reliable he is but last night on Ch 7 Mark Stevens said Hurley expected to be ready in 8-10 weeks

No idea how reliable he is but last night on Ch 7 Mark Stevens said Hurley expected to be ready in 8-10 weeks
* it would be good to get some games into him before the season ends, just so he's not so far back in 2022.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

fu** it would be good to get some games into him before the season ends, just so he's not so far back in 2022.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Honestly, I'd rather we put him on the LTI before the MSD and take an extra selection. Then tell Hurley to worry about being 100% right for 2022.

Rutten on 360 tonight said he's not even running yet, walking without crutches and started going up and down steps is his progress. He has a lot of strength training ahead of him as well as the fitness.

He was hopeful for "later in the year" but said there's no timetable for Hurley's return.

Would make a great coach at assistant or development/junior level.

Life first Bear - footy second mate.
Would love to see Hurley and Hooker stick around as development coaches for our kids.
200 games this year would be amazing, but if it's next so be it (if at all).

So, lean enough to play inside mid? :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back