Retired #18: Michael Hurley 🐻 - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:

Nothing makes me think Hurley would be an upgrade on Hooker or can even play the same role.
Hurley is more a lead up player like Jones without the contested marking. He does probably present and get used a bit more often than Jones because his timing is good... but he marks less.

He won’t attract a serious defender and isn’t much chop deep from memory.. so agreed, not the Hooker role.

Hurley is more a lead up player like Jones without the contested marking. He does probably present and get used a bit more often than Jones because his timing is good... but he marks less.

He won’t attract a serious defender and isn’t much chop deep from memory.. so agreed, not the Hooker role.
Hurley also played like he was on tram tracks as a forward. Constantly ran under the footy, didn’t have the ability to prop and jump when the he ball was outside his reach.

He hasn't played a minute this year but we've probably played our best football for the last 5 years without him. Moving him on while he still had currency a few years ago would have been the best thing for us. I suggested this multiple times to the angst of a fair few on this board but hey :shrug:

In saying that he probably replaces Hooker next year as a senior forward to help out a young group and provide some depth to the forward line and list. Not sure he'll be any good at it but may be better than a pencil thin rookie pick.

Tom Browne on Ch 7 news reporting Hurls may call an early retirement?
I know its Tom Browne, but has come out of nowhere if true.

There has been a bit of noise in the background about this. From what I know the decision has not been made but it is on the cards. He has had a real battle trying to increase the workload and get his fitness and strength back.

There has been a bit of noise in the background about this. From what I know the decision has not been made but it is on the cards. He has had a real battle trying to increase the workload and get his fitness and strength back.
Fair enough too I guess. Isnt exactly a spring chicken, and the infection turned out to be pretty serious one as well. All the best to the big fella regardless.

Tom Browne on Ch 7 news reporting Hurls may call an early retirement?
I know its Tom Browne, but has come out of nowhere if true.
Tom Browne has a very good track record with us, despite the commentary from our board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn't played a minute this year but we've probably played our best football for the last 5 years without him. Moving him on while he still had currency a few years ago would have been the best thing for us. I suggested this multiple times to the angst of a fair few on this board but hey :shrug:
No. The club was more than obliged to show loyalty to Michael.

I like Hurls, but seems too slow to move the ball on over recent years. If you're going to kick it up the line anyway, why hold onto it for that extra 10 seconds to allow the oppo the chance to get back.

Hope he can get back for one more crack in the forward line, but not as a defender.

I like Hurls, but seems too slow to move the ball on over recent years. If you're going to kick it up the line anyway, why hold onto it for that extra 10 seconds to allow the oppo the chance to get back.

Hope he can get back for one more crack in the forward line, but not as a defender.

He definitely developed bad habits. Chipping the ball around became a bit much when we just needed him to take the game on with ball in hand.

Having said that, those habits can be fixed and if he can get back to normal health and fitness, I think he can make a contribution to our team next year.

No. The club was more than obliged to show loyalty to Michael.

Kelvin also reckons we should delist Wright and he switched to the Dogs after a bad loss a handful of years ago (before slinking back with tail between legs). Lol

I really hope this isn't true. I'd like to see him tried forward next year.

In general I also think it would be a huge shame if his career ended in a whimper like this. He deserves better.

No. This is not juniors where everyone gets a medal.

We are in the business of winning premierships.
We did wrong by the 34. Like it or not, we owed those players that decided to stick with us.

Didn't you also decide to follow the Dogs a few years back? They showed much more LOYALTY than what you did, despite you hanging around with your b.s. posts.

We did wrong by the 34. Like it or not, we owed those players that decided to stick with us.

Didn't you also decide to follow the Dogs a few years back? They showed much more LOYALTY than what you did, despite you hanging around with your b.s. posts.

Think we showed enough loyalty by giving him a 6 year contract on big coin.

Take out the sentimental nature of wanting to see him pull the boots on again and there isn’t any good reason for wanting him to play on.

That being said he’s contracted and has every right to play on next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back