Retired #18: Michael Hurley 🐻 - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Re: Michael Hurley

And who's to say that our developing defence is underrated and that Pears and Hooker will become more then capable players;)

Well before this draft we had Pears and Ryder as young key back prospects. Hooker was a speculative pick at best and, from Bendigo reports, it sounds like he's been better when played in the forwardline. Daniher has also, reportedly, played his better footy in the forwardline.

In the midfield we had Houli, Reimers, Windas, Dempsey, Myers, Prismall, Stanton, Watson, Lonergan and probably more that I'm forgetting. This midfield, minus Prismall and plus McVeigh, has shown that it can beat some quite good midfields during our streak of wins even though it is very young and inexperienced.

Therefore, due to our lack of key defensive prospects and our large group of young mids who have shown that they can play, our defence was our biggest concern. Therefore Hurley was a good pick.

Anyways, back on topic, I'm very happy with Hurley and hope he will be a 200+ game player.

Well before this draft we had Pears and Ryder as young key back prospects. Hooker was a speculative pick at best and, from Bendigo reports, it sounds like he's been better when played in the forwardline. Daniher has also, reportedly, played his better footy in the forwardline.

In the midfield we had Houli, Reimers, Windas, Dempsey, Myers, Prismall, Stanton, Watson, Lonergan and probably more that I'm forgetting. This midfield, minus Prismall and plus McVeigh, has shown that it can beat some quite good midfields during our streak of wins even though it is very young and inexperienced.

Therefore, due to our lack of key defensive prospects and our large group of young mids who have shown that they can play, our defence was our biggest concern. Therefore Hurley was a good pick.

Anyways, back on topic, I'm very happy with Hurley and hope he will be a 200+ game player.
No, I completely agree. I was just being a stubborn SOB as I'd personally wanted a midfielder even though I rate Hurley highly. I have warmed considerably since the draft to our decision though if we'd gone a midfielder no doubt I'd try to convince myself that Hurley was too slow for AFL. Anyway I cannot wait for the NAB Cup and seeing him and Zaharakis play.
Yeh, I thought we'd gone to far with that. ;):eek::D
Do I win then?;)

No, I completely agree. I was just being a stubborn SOB as I'd personally wanted a midfielder even though I rate Hurley highly. I have warmed considerably since the draft to our decision though if we'd gone a midfielder no doubt I'd try to convince myself that Hurley was too slow for AFL. Anyway I cannot wait for the NAB Cup and seeing him and Zaharakis play.

It's the curse of the ;) symbol. Whoever uses it just sounds so cocky that you just have to use it back again.

Do I win then?;)

We'll call it a draw.

;)

It's the curse of the ;) symbol. Whoever uses it just sounds so cocky that you just have to use it back again.
We'll call it a draw.
;)
Draw it is. We can both agree that we want Hurley to be a win for both of us.

He certainly does look like Reiwoldt I've noticed which I guess also makes him in turn look like McPhee.....shall I...no the dreaded cocky eye is now officially dead...:)

• THEY came, they saw and they dropped the news, but Michael Hurley still wasn't sure.
Essendon had come to visit the under-18 All-Australian full-back at his family's Rosanna home a day before the national draft to tell him he was their man.
Mal Michael had retired, Dustin Fletcher is 33, and Matthew Lloyd and Scott Lucas are both 30.
Hurley, a 192cm, 92kg defender who can play forward, was the logical choice.
But he wasn't getting carried away.
"They came around on Friday morning and said that if the top four stayed as they think they'll take me at five," Hurley recalled.
"But you're never actually 100 per cent sure until you hear your name called out."
But there were no surprises at the next day's draft and the Northern Knights' defensive rock was off to Windy Hill courtesy of the Bombers' first pick (No. 5).
"It was a bit of a relief and a bit of a weight off my shoulders," Hurley said.
"I could hardly sleep. I was nervous, anxious, but excited.
"The family were thrilled. My oldest brother goes for Essendon so he was rapt to see me in the red and black."
Inevitably, he went with the weight of being "the next Fletcher" or "the next Michael" on his shoulders.
"It's a bit of an honour, I suppose," Hurley said.
"It's a great opportunity to learn from someone like Dustin Fletcher, I'm not sure how long he'll go on.
"I've got to learn as much as I can. I've spoken to those sort of guys a few times, but haven't really got to know them all as yet."
Hurley, who played representative cricket before pursuing football, knows he will battle more experienced forwards in his first season.
"The size is a factor, but it's also the age as well," he said.
"You're playing against men, like a 30-year-old and you're only 18. Training has been 100 miles an hour, but it's been good to get into it."
0,,6393961,00.jpg
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24783515-19742,00.html

Re: 22. Michael Hurley

Saw Hurley on the bus after New Years down in Sorrento, some ********s started a fight with him saying "Your s**t, your going to get delisted" his friends defended him, he reacted extremely well, not throwing punches even when he was getting hit himself.

Saw Hurley on the bus after New Years down in Sorrento, some ********s started a fight with him saying "Your s**t, your going to get delisted" his friends defended him, he reacted extremely well, not throwing punches even when he was getting hit himself.

There is something seriously wrong with a good percentage of today's youth. Seriously some of these ****ers need to be knee capped with a baseball bat and taught some bloody respect :eek:

Agree ant555 . And full marks to the kid for holding back .

Would have loved this bloke at the Blues , he will be a gun for you . 200 plus gamer for sure .

im not happy with that tbh.. well done on him for not saying or doing anything to egg on a fight but if your getting hit you belt them as hard as you can and do whatever you can to not get hit again. there are a lot of cases where people get hit and never get up from it, whether your a professional athlete or not you MUST defend yourself, and if thats belting someone until it knockes him out after you get hit then you do it.

note to hurley- you get hit you go in as hard as you can to defend yourself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im not happy with that tbh.. well done on him for not saying or doing anything to egg on a fight but if your getting hit you belt them as hard as you can and do whatever you can to not get hit again. there are a lot of cases where people get hit and never get up from it, whether your a professional athlete or not you MUST defend yourself, and if thats belting someone until it knockes him out after you get hit then you do it.

As opposed to much heavier contact being made when he plays football? They were a bunch of pissed 18 year olds about 5.10" a piece, not footballer sized players, Hurley did the right thing as he was in a lot more danger of hurting them than they were of hurting him.

He would've probably been charged by police, suspended by the club and got bad press from the journos if he did that ... not worth giving tools like those blokes any attention.

He would've probably been charged by police, suspended by the club and got bad press from the journos if he did that ... not worth giving tools like those blokes any attention.

Yes but where do you draw the line?

If someone is attacking you, you have a right to defend yourself, no matter what the circumstances

Yes but where do you draw the line?

If someone is attacking you, you have a right to defend yourself, no matter what the circumstances

this might be the case for the average person who can remain anomynous but as soon as someone has a profile morons will charge them with assault and try to sue them etc even though they started it etc.

imagine the headlines if he had retaliated...bomber young gun in drunken brawl...and so on. its just not worth it.

As opposed to much heavier contact being made when he plays football? They were a bunch of pissed 18 year olds about 5.10" a piece, not footballer sized players, Hurley did the right thing as he was in a lot more danger of hurting them than they were of hurting him.

just because someone is not 100kg and 6'4 doesnt mean they cant do serious damage. there have been plenty of cases where guys have died and gotten seriously hurt from one punch from someone not particularly big...

people dont seem to realise how bad fights can turn out on occasions. one of my old mates got punched in the eye from a little 17 year old at the pub about 5 years ago, he has no longer been able to see out of that eye.

one punch from a scrawny 18 year old in the right place can do serious damage and standing there taking punches from people just because you have a profile isnt the way to go about it... what happened if one of those kids happened to hit him in the right spot and caused some serious damage, i would be thinking you would have changed your mind on whether he should have swung a few punches.

this might be the case for the average person who can remain anomynous but as soon as someone has a profile morons will charge them with assault and try to sue them etc even though they started it etc.

imagine the headlines if he had retaliated...bomber young gun in drunken brawl...and so on. its just not worth it.

whats more important one players temporary public perception or that players safety?

make no mistake even a 18 year old who weighs 65-70kg can seriously hurt someone with one punch. it happens yearly, someone gets punched by a w***er goes to ground, hits his head on the ground and dies. personally i would much rather hurley defend himself then stand there do nothing and have a slight chance of not getting up afterwards.

yes thats an extreme circumstance but the point is anyone can be seriously hurt by anyone if they get hit in the right place. and i for one would do anything to avoid a chance of being seriously hurt and for me that would mean on the occasion throwing more then a few punches myself

just because someone is not 100kg and 6'4 doesnt mean they cant do serious damage. there have been plenty of cases where guys have died and gotten seriously hurt from one punch from someone not particularly big...

people dont seem to realise how bad fights can turn out on occasions. one of my old mates got punched in the eye from a little 17 year old at the pub about 5 years ago, he has no longer been able to see out of that eye.

one punch from a scrawny 18 year old in the right place can do serious damage and standing there taking punches from people just because you have a profile isnt the way to go about it... what happened if one of those kids happened to hit him in the right spot and caused some serious damage, i would be thinking you would have changed your mind on whether he should have swung a few punches.

Put it this way, from where I was sitting it looked like Hurley deemed it was unnecessary to react in an overly violent manner, his friends had it covered and the fight was broken up fairly quickly. What I saw was him take a glancing punch to the side of the head from a bloke who was obstructed by another guy, and two slight jabs to the guts as the blokes were restrained by Hurley/his friends, bystanders and security on the bus. He didn't back down or act cowardly, he held his composer.

I'm sure If he had judged himself to be in serious danger he would have acted accordingly. My point was more so praising his restraint for a young drunk (assuming) footballer rather than criticizing his inaction.

Put it this way, from where I was sitting it looked like Hurley deemed it was unnecessary to react in an overly violent manner, his friends had it covered and the fight was broken up fairly quickly. What I saw was him take a glancing punch to the side of the head from a bloke who was obstructed by another guy, and two slight jabs to the guts as the blokes were restrained by Hurley/his friends, bystanders and security on the bus. He didn't back down or act cowardly, he held his composer.

I'm sure If he had judged himself to be in serious danger he would have acted accordingly. My point was more so praising his restraint for a young drunk (assuming) footballer rather than criticizing his inaction.

yeah fair enough and well done to him then, i just dont want to see the day where footballers are too scared to defend themselves as it might hurt there public image

yeah fair enough and well done to him then, i just dont want to see the day where footballers are too scared to defend themselves as it might hurt there public image

True, but in my mind, the way he acted said this kids got future at the dons, if he had reacted aggressively we probably would have been saying Tom Hislop Mrk II.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=6298
Essendon youngster Michael Hurley will miss the NAB Cup competition after undergoing surgery to remove his gall bladder yesterday. A series of tests revealed Hurley had a non-functional gall bladder and it was removed through key-hole surgery.

Ghey.

Essendon's hot prospect, Michael Hurley, is still expected to get an early taste of senior football despite undergoing surgery to remove a non-functioning gall bladder last week.
The 18-year-old will rest for the next four weeks but after spending the past two months absorbing everthing he can off champion full-back Dustin Fletcher, Hurley feels he will be ready when the time comes.
“I have tried to take in as much as I can from Dustin Fletcher and follow in his footsteps by going about things the way that he does,” Hurley said.
“He gives me lots of helpful hints on the training track, explaining how he goes about his game in the backline and gives me advice as to how I can improve my game.
“Last year I was watching Dustin play and loving the way he went about it and this year I am lucky enough to be working alongside him.
“He is a bit of a larrikin but he switches on when he needs to. I think that is good being able to relax and have a good time when we are not at training.”

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=6306

Remove this Banner Ad

Back