Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Re: Michael Hurley

I will admit i was disappointed we passed on Rich, but I'm now more than happy Hurley is a bomber.

My knowledge is quite limited, but just from that video footage it looks to me like he has four excellent qualities:

1. Outstanding reader of the play
2. Great Skills
3. Great decision making
4. Great defensive abilities

Good luck to him, I hope he makes it!
Are you still unhappy we passed on Rich?

I wanted Rich at the time. I had seen a couple champs games and didnā€™t even notice Hurley.

I watched Rich closely in the WAFL gf at Subiaco Oval before the draft and was mildly impressed that such a small guy could get involved with the play so much. But come draft day forgot about all that pretty quickly.
I just take whoever comes in drafts and embrace the players we choose.
I donā€™t see much point in lamenting what could have been. Within 10 games I was happy with Hurley. And the fact that he stuck with the bombers after the trauma of the saga and didnā€™t leave makes me love him even more:)

Agree, he's been such a good 1on1 competitor from literally his 1st game. Never flinches and has always run in straight lines directly at the ball. It was great to see his role stripped back after round 8 to simply giving him the oppos best forward, beating them, and then worrying about possesions later. If the coaches give him that same role next year he's probably looking at AA jumper number 3.

If we are ruthless, serious and want to win flags we should be shopping him around.

There is no point paying someone 800+k thats not in the top 10 defenders in the league. We have enough cover down back with senior guys Hooker, Ambrose. Depth players Brown and Hartley and young guns coming through in Francis and Ridley.

You have to give up something to get something good in return and he's the only one I can see as a carrot. Use our picks + Hurley to get an established mid (Shiel) + best kid available or another trade. 2 mids straight into 22 sees us a much better side for the next 5 years than having Hurley.

No one is untouchable. Its about winning flags. Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney has all shown a ruthless streak and are still ticking along and getting most players to nominate them as destination clubs.

Its time Essendon.

Whoā€™s the 10 guys in front of him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back