Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

18 - Hurley.jpg

Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
I am terrified for all our players involved in this s**t show.
Same. I doubt it will be a very physical contest so I'm tipping an innocuous twisted knee while changing direction or something.

Last edited:
Got email from the club for my son to enter toss the coin comp...is this photo real? Looks like heā€™s lost weight and aged 10 years

Edit: **** it need a degree to post photos by iPhone. Anyone else receive it?
It was posted in another thread too, looks like the photo was taken with a fish eye lens and has been distorted.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
We are so cooked if this bloke get injured. Who replaces him? Hartley?! Lol please. Dead.
im less concerned about our defensive depth, but we aren't quite ready to be missing both Hurley and Hooker just yet.

BZT, Francis and Ridley should hold us good stead moving forward.
But if they were the core of our defensive height right now, we'd get slaughtered by most AFL forward lines.

Not sure how many teams could absorb their CHB and FB out at the same time though.

TheByeRound

Debutant
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reckon Hurley can get back to that 2017 form?
I have him as my D1 in a supercoach draft league. People say he had a role change mid season.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I think Hurley needs to prove something this season. He needs to have a lot more consistency. To be totally honest his last season was poor apart from 2 outstanding games, and one of those was on an injured Buddy.

He knows how to do it and he certainly has the ability.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
* he seemed down in his post match interview. At least heā€™s caring.

29 in a couple of months. What a * of a career itā€™s been. Thrown around a bit position-wise, eventually settled, loses 4 or 5 years team-wise to the drugs saga. Heā€™s a two-time All Aust, either side of a year ban, despite all this.

If itā€™s another wasted season and a contender came knocking at years end, I wouldnā€™t blame him in the slightest

**** he seemed down in his post match interview. At least heā€™s caring.

29 in a couple of months. What a **** of a career itā€™s been. Thrown around a bit position-wise, eventually settled, loses 4 or 5 years team-wise to the drugs saga. Heā€™s a two-time All Aust, either side of a year ban, despite all this.

If itā€™s another wasted season and a contender came knocking at years end, I wouldnā€™t blame him in the slightest
His contract is until 2022, the longest aside from Shiel's, but I guess he could ask for a trade anyway.

**** he seemed down in his post match interview. At least heā€™s caring.

29 in a couple of months. What a **** of a career itā€™s been. Thrown around a bit position-wise, eventually settled, loses 4 or 5 years team-wise to the drugs saga. Heā€™s a two-time All Aust, either side of a year ban, despite all this.

yep. can not fault his endeavour or passion. he always takes a few games to get going every year, but heā€™s one of the very few that we can carry in doing so.

itā€™s sad but iā€™d be okay with him wanting out if this year pans out the way i expect it will

Jacques_

Senior List
Jun 22, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Big critic of his over the last 12 months but he was fantastic yesterday, hopefully itā€™s the start of him having a really strong season

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I can't believe Hurley and Hooker aren't in our leadership group. Especially Hooker.

Hurley was good yesterday. If it wasn't for him, Saad and Francis holding our backline together, then we'd have been smashed.

Looked devastated in the post-match interview.

Back