18 minute quarters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers. If they keep it at 22 rounds but shorten the quarters, it’ll be very disappointing. No doubt they won’t lower their admissions prices.
Well they are kindly freezing finals ticket prices this year. Of course you get 20% less footy for that price

My uncle is a sports scientist, he reckons to get optimal performance out of the athletes we should shorten quarters to 14:29mins with a halftime of 43mins. This would protect players from soft tissue injuries and allow the AFL to extend fixture to 56 games. Although due to the extensive travel fatigue WA teams could only play 41 games but a supercoach based algorithm can be used to simulate missed game results and distribute points accordingly. Pretty simple fix really not sure why we haven't done this already.
Roby power rankings' time have come

Players and umpires need a break to catch their breath.

There used to be 1 umpire covering the whole ground. They'll cope.

As for the players...Good! Maybe it'll mean one fewer player contributing to the congestion around the ball.

There used to be 1 umpire covering the whole ground. They'll cope.

As for the players...Good! Maybe it'll mean one fewer player contributing to the congestion around the ball.

Wonder how far and how fast players ran back in those days compared to now...

You complain about the umpiring now? Imagine them trying to make decisions when they're so tired they can barely run.

Until (if) we get a vaccine, there is the risk that next season will be compromised as well. Only for that reason, I am ok with this. Reckon we might get 24 games, no bye.

There is no way the players association would agree to a season with no bye.

Until (if) we get a vaccine, there is the risk that next season will be compromised as well. Only for that reason, I am ok with this. Reckon we might get 24 games, no bye.

Why not just wait until March to make the decision?

Cheers. If they keep it at 22 rounds but shorten the quarters, it’ll be very disappointing. No doubt they won’t lower their admissions prices.
IMO shorter games will lead to less crowds, especially if not accompanied by reduced costs. The time taken to get there, public transport, get to your seat, get out of the stadium is all still annoying, but you'd pay the same for less of the actual product you are there to see. You'd think it would be big risk not to lower prices.

I agree the wiki page included examples from mainstream economics. I shouldn't have lazily linked that page. It's a bad page.

There's a Department of Political Economy at University of Sydney, in the School of Social and Political Sciences. There's also a School of Economics (which doesn't have individual Departments within it: it only deals with economics). I'm not sure what you mean by 'arbitrary distinction' when the 2 are taught as entirely different disciplines. A mainstream economicst could never publish in a political economy journal, and vice versa. I suggest looking up the Dunning-Kruger effect. Your certainty regarding this topic is directly proportional to your ignorance.

Aaaah the Dunning-Kruger effect. It was as inevitable as it is ironic that it would be assimilated into the phenomena that it describes.

I am almost certain you have no credible expertise in either.

What point are you trying to make?

I was trying to teach you. I overestimated your capacity to learn. Primarily I was demonstrating the relationship between the field of economics and the interdisciplinary field referred to as "political economy"

Above you said any distinction between mainstream economics and political economy was 'arbitrary'.

No I did not. The fact you are asserting this is symbolic of your limitations (to which you are completely blind)

Now you're acknowledging political economy is an interdisciplinary field.

When did I not?

You also make the point that the Austrian School (considered heterodox) contributes to neoliberal ideology, as though I had said that neoclassical economics and neoliberalism are perfectly synonymous. I never said that.

Aaah, there you go again. It must get all so confusing when you are unable to separate a point somebody is making from the monkey mind making up reasons for why the point was made.

I simply said that you wouldn't get discussion of "shock therapy" in mainstream economics, and that the rationale behind Gil's recent decision-making aligns with neoliberal ideology, and is also well-explained by the 'shock doctrine'.

Not a couple of journal articles. One is an entire book addressed to the topic and published by Oxford University Press. Dunning-Kruger effect.

Again. "Formal" doesn't mean that something has to be a fundamental basis of a discipline and taught to all students, or even that it a concept is widely applied. It means that a concept has been formalised. In political economy, such formalisation is conceptual and theoretical; it does not involve producing a model, as in neoclassical economics. When an entire book has been written on a concept and published by the world's most reputable academic publisher, it is safe to say that it has been formalised.

Wow, a whole book!

By "formalised" I meant that there was some kind of broad acceptance in some coherent school of thought. You know, the kind of thing that might have been referenced in the "theory" section of the wikilink you have subsequently agreed is rubbish

Dunning-Kruger. You are the one who insists on spouting off that everything about the "shock doctrine" is nonsene, without knowing the slightest thing about it. By refusing to read a book on the exact topic that you dismiss with such certitude, you are simply revealing yourself as wilfully ignorant.

I haven't been "spouting off that everything about the shock doctrine is nonsense". In the last post I suggested I would read a digest if you provided me it.

Anyway, I just read the wiki to the book. These kind of pop intellectual books are not my thing. I'm sure they serve a purpose but they shouldn't be confused with having academic merit

Interestingly NK had Joe Stiglitz write a review for it's website. It is rather positive for essentially its journalistic merit but includes some pretty important things you should reflect on

"Klein is not an academic and cannot be judged as one. There are many places in her book where she oversimplifies. "

Gil said last night we won't go back to 20 minute quarters next season. THAT. IS. WHAT. THIS. THREAD. IS. ABOUT. Please stop making declamatory statements when you don't make the slightest effort to inform yourself on the topic at hand.

The topic of the thread is about the prospect of not going back to 20 minute quarters next season. The topic of our discussion is the conflation of "neoliberalism" and "shock doctrine" with the AFL decision making

This is where we could actually get into a deeper academic discussion on neoliberalism. I defined it above as the ideology of preferring a free market as the means of organising society. A bit more nuance is actually required. All the literature on neoliberalism in the last 10 years has revealed that this picture is actually a bit of a myth (which I repeated for simplicity). Neoliberalism actually involves a significant amount of state intervention to maintain certain market conditions. We can't really go in to this on Bigfooty, but it's a very interesting and active area of contemporary scholarly debate.

The statement that "all the literature on neoliberalism in the last 10 years has revealed" shows me you are engaging with all this without any formal intellectual facility and just how much self parody it was referencing the Dunning-Kruger effort above.

Neoliberalism is defined in so many ways in so many fields, even if you'd spent the last decade buried in the concept to be able to claim you were across all the literature let-a-lone that you could sum it up in such a way would be absurd.

The "neo" in neo-liberalism should be enough to intuit the the underlying ideas of what is called neo-liberalism (whether it is describing a paradigm, development model, ideology or public policy prescription set) date back a long time (eg 18th century Laissez faire, 19th century classical liberalism). Likewise the observation that "free market" capitalism actually requires an interventionist state to facilitate it is not new and has no doubt been observed through the perspectives of many schools of economics / political science / sociology etc

So to your question: cutting the soft cap on football departments is obviously not a matter of simply leaving it to the market. But that doesn't mean his approach, overall, is not neoliberal. It would take quite a bit of work, though, to cash out exactly how we are going to use that term.

Yes, I suspect it would take a considerable amount of work to try to characterise it as "neo-liberal". Don't strain yourself

Can you give any examples of where the AFL has not put an absolute premium of more money over other considerations (bearing in mind they have a longterm strategic focus, so financial objectives are longterm rather than shorterm)? Even the pouring of money into AFLW is part of a longterm financial strategy to ensure that half the population are fully tapped as a market. Propping up clubs like North and St Kilda is also, ultimately, based on the premise that maintaining these clubs brings in more money than it costs.

And again, the self parody.

So:
-in the first instance, you are essentially trying to establish that commercial or financial considerations informing AFL decision making is an example of "neo-liberalism". You've defined the term neo-liberalism as "the ideology of preferring the free market" but now it apparently just means financial considerations / increasing revenue
-in the second instance you are basically then describing all the AFL decisions as being ultimately financially motivated and allowing yourself a bow of any-length to achieve it.

Comedy.

The more subtle of mind / logically skilled would observe that you can flip this reductionist pap and say that essentially any increase in revenue provides more resources for things like game development, grass roots community support, jobs for people in the game, inclusion programs etc.

So footy fans don't understand what is in the best interests of the future of the game and need people like you or Gil to show them the economic-managerial light? Thanks for clearing that up.

The vast majority of institutions on the planet would involved some degree of hierarchical structure in decision making and administration. Mug-ocracy barely exists anywhere functional

I'm sure that won't clear anything up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? Why the constant desire to screw with the core of the game? Why not play with three balls on a rectangular field? Why not remove all centre bounces and just have the umpire promote the latest sponsors, then give the ball to the player who can say the quickest, "Choose the cheesy cheese that triple cheese lovers choose when they choose the cheese, cheese, cheese in the triple cheese at McDonalds"? The AFL needs money? Burned the cash with GC and GWS and stadia and now crying poor? Slowly selling away the soul of the game, bit by bit, year by year, week by week!

Shorter quarters, ridiculous. The players aren't tired enough and covering the ground with ease making most matches this year eye-sores. I can barely watch the game with eyes open, and they want more sponsors? The mentality is all backwards.
AFL XXX - How Kinky !

IMO shorter games will lead to less crowds, especially if not accompanied by reduced costs. The time taken to get there, public transport, get to your seat, get out of the stadium is all still annoying, but you'd pay the same for less of the actual product you are there to see. You'd think it would be big risk not to lower prices.
Pre this year I have dragged my sorry arse to every game year after year irrespective of weather, form, etc. I have a feeling it will be so much easier to stay at home and just watch on the tv with the reduction in product.
I also don't get Gil's obsession of having a month of footy frenzy or whatever nonsense name they want to give it. Friday, Sat and Sun suited me fine....throw in the odd Thurs or Monday. It just feels to me like one game and round merges into another and the impact is diluted.

Pre this year I have dragged my sorry arse to every game year after year irrespective of weather, form, etc. I have a feeling it will be so much easier to stay at home and just watch on the tv with the reduction in product.
I also don't get Gil's obsession of having a month of footy frenzy or whatever nonsense name they want to give it. Friday, Sat and Sun suited me fine....throw in the odd Thurs or Monday. It just feels to me like one game and round merges into another and the impact is diluted.
I dont mind the frenzy at the moment as under lockdown and curphew there's nothing else for me to do, in a normal year it would be interesting to see how much I watched.

Thurs-Sunday is still my preference though. Id like to see more Sunday night games on TV actually.

I could understand going to shorter quarters this year, since there was a shorter gap between games, because lockdown sucked so much time away. But what's the excuse for next year? There's no need for this "festival of footy" garbage, because we can have the usual 6-7 month season without any gap, although it may require abandoning Victoria again. So why is there any need for less than 20 minute quarters? It stinks of an instruction from Channel 7.

Wow, a whole book!
Type in "neoliberal" AND "shock therapy" into Google Scholar. I stopped looking after 10 pages, but can confirm the first 100 entries are all academic journal articles that rely upon the concept (out of 6880 results). I also searched for "neoliberal" AND "shock therapy" through the University of Sydney library and turned up 1648 articles/chapters/books. But keeping telling yourself it's just a single book, or a couple of journal articles. I know it's unimaginable for a concept to be in wide use and for you to not have heard of it, since you are the sole font of wisdom on anything related to economics and political economy lol. Let me guess. You've done an MBA and think you know it all.
By "formalised" I meant that there was some kind of broad acceptance in some coherent school of thought.
That's not what "formalised" means. "Formalised" in no way implies or necessarily entails broad acceptance. A concept is formalised if scholars in an academic field can deploy it and count on others in the field to know what it means. "Shock therapy" is formalised in political economy but probably not in mainstream economics, to the extent that it has been straighforwardly deployed in 100s, perhaps 1000s, of articles, and no longer requires the publication of purely theoretical expositions of the concept.
Anyway, I just read the wiki to the book.
Wow, what a surprise. You read the wiki for the book after writing two long posts dismissing the associated ideas.
in the first instance, you are essentially trying to establish that commercial or financial considerations informing AFL decision making is an example of "neo-liberalism". You've defined the term neo-liberalism as "the ideology of preferring the free market" but now it apparently just means financial considerations / increasing revenue...
The more subtle of mind / logically skilled would observe that you can flip this reductionist pap and say that essentially any increase in revenue provides more resources for things like game development, grass roots community support, jobs for people in the game, inclusion programs etc.
It is largely beside the point which name we attach to the decision-making and associated logic in question. The point is how we understand and evaluate the associated decision-making.

My points are these:
-Gil brought in significant changes during this covid-affected season - of most interest in this context are: shortened 1/4s, extension of mid-week games, night GF.
-These changes clearly are not solely dictated by the exigencies of the covid crisis.
-Gil has already flagged that, for at least some of these changes, we will not revert to the pre-covid state of affairs once the crisis is past.
-The logic of these changes is oriented to maximising revenue, largely by seeking to maximise TV ratings and advertising.
-These changes seem to be at odds with what the majority of fans want, and think is in the best interests of the game (of course this has not actually been demonstrated empirically yet, but let's accept the premise for now).
-What matters is that the decision-making is more than just taking "financial considerations" into account. It is more than just trying to "increase revenue".
-The decision-making in question aims at increasing revenue even where the means by which this is done detrimentally changes the substantive core of the activity (I won't say 'product') that the revenue is supposed to support.
-It matters little whether we call this an example of 'neoliberalism', or (on a tiny scale) 'shock therapy' (although these concepts can help us better understand what is happening in the AFL).
-The assumption standing behind this decision-making is that increasing revenue is a superordinate priority to matters relating to the substance of the game, such as its length.
-It is not "subtle of mind" or "logically skilled" to mindlessly accept this assumption, and justify it on the basis that increased revenue can be pumped into game development, grassroots etc.
-It is far more subtle of mind to always critically question how the twin priorities of the long term financial viability of the game, and the maintenance of its essence, can best be balanced.

I could understand going to shorter quarters this year, since there was a shorter gap between games, because lockdown sucked so much time away. But what's the excuse for next year? There's no need for this "festival of footy" garbage, because we can have the usual 6-7 month season without any gap, although it may require abandoning Victoria again. So why is there any need for less than 20 minute quarters? It stinks of an instruction from Channel 7.

AFL games would probably never clash again if shorter quarters become permanent.

My question to the AFL is 'How much time-on should a quarter of footy have?' Given 60 seconds after each goal "I'd cut it to 35" - "replay, 15 sec commercial, short commentary, bounce."
Last night 1st Q 2 goals that's 16 min + 2 min for goals + 5 min 12 secs.
2nd Q - 3 goals 16 + 3 + 4 min 14 secs
3rd Q - 2 goals 16 + 2 + 4 min 17 secs
4th Q - 4 goals 16 + 4 +6 min 52 secs

64 minutes of play, 11 minutes time-on after goals 20 min 35 secs of ball-ups and ball-ins, OOF and kick-ins and few bits and pieces. Total time-on 31.35
In simple terms for every minute of play, 30 seconds time-on or 33% of game time is wait time.
This is where the investigation should be.

If soccer changed halves from 45 to 40 minutes what would it achieve really?

Has a sporting body on the planet fiddled with the laws of a game more than the AFL? Ever?

This is a game that sells itself to supporters based on 120 years of tradition. The AFL has absolutely nothing to do with the growth of the game. GWS and the Gold Coast are the AFL's pet projects and look how much of a disaster they have been. They'll require hundreds of millions in subsidies over the next decade to stay afloat.

Gil could go to spring break on the Gold Coast every August and it would make no discernible difference to the product.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back