18 minute quarters

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Gill was on AFL360 and afterwards Gerard and Robbo both think the AFL won’t go back to 20 minute quarters next year and instead split it at 18 minute quarters.

Has anyone else heard of this before now?
If Steve Hocking has his way it would be full on aflx for the whole season with dwarves being shot out of canons after each goal.
Nothing wrong with the game at the moment though, right Steve? Just look at the tv ratings, they are up!

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
There's so many simple changes to speed up the game that would result in 20 minute quarters with time on being finished faster:

1. No score reviews for touched balls outside the goal square. These reviews are almost always a waste of time. If the field or goal umps see it, they see it. If not, do a better job smothering. The cameras aren't designed to zoom in on snaps from 30m out.

2. Goal umpires call for all score reviews. If they trust their judgement then no little conference with the field umpire.

3. Boundary umpires throw the ball in about 10 seconds quicker each time. Umps can still do the nomination process - which has now effectively changed to only nominating if the main ruck isn't there. It's already been streamlined.

4. Pay holding the man! You pay holding the man and you get less pre-tackles. Then you get more free movement. Then you can crack down on htb as guys will automatically have more space and more prior. It's so clearly obvious. The more the ball is moving the faster the quarters.

5. An icing rule. Any kick from outside the 50 that crosses the boundary line close to goal becomes an automatic free kick.

6. Get serious about 50m penalties for being 'over the 9' and over the mark, particularly in the back half.

7. Shorter quarter time and 3/4 time breaks.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's so many simple changes to speed up the game that would result in 20 minute quarters with time on being finished faster:

1. No score reviews for touched balls outside the goal square. These reviews are almost always a waste of time. If the field or goal umps see it, they see it. If not, do a better job smothering. The cameras aren't designed to zoom in on snaps from 30m out.

2. Goal umpires call for all score reviews. If they trust their judgement then no little conference with the field umpire.

3. Boundary umpires throw the ball in about 10 seconds quicker each time. Umps can still do the nomination process - which has now effectively changed to only nominating if the main ruck isn't there. It's already been streamlined.

4. Pay holding the man! You pay holding the man and you get less pre-tackles. Then you get more free movement. Then you can crack down on htb as guys will automatically have more space and more prior. It's so clearly obvious. The more the ball is moving the faster the quarters.

5. An icing rule. Any kick from outside the 50 that crosses the boundary line close to goal becomes an automatic free kick.

6. Get serious about 50m penalties for being 'over the 9' and over the mark, particularly in the back half.

These are quality suggestions for the most part.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
18 would be an ok compromise although super annoying that historical records and stats of games would be hard to compare.

16 mins is no good. A side gets a two or 3 goal lead and goes into defensive mode. There is not enough attrition. Games of footy should not be decided by 8 goals to 5 or something like that, it's not built for that. We should be seeing 10+ goals a side on a dry day.

8. When the ball gets back to the center, bounce it ASAP. No waiting for the TV station to finish their ads.

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
I can't understand the reason for this other than Ch7 wanting more ads in the lengthened breaks without the telecast going longer.

If the payoff is more games in the same season length, then I'll pass.

The football during this so called 'festival of football' has been dire for the most part. Teams held to no goal quarters or 1 goal quarters quite regularly. Teams able to apply high pressure all quarter and some teams clearly dead on their feet coming off 4 and 5 day breaks regularly.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Except what are we compromising on? And why does it require a compromise.
I guess hardcore footy fans want to stay at 20 mins.

For casual fans and to attract new fans they want a bit shorter. I think the tv networks want shorter as well.

But yes if I had my way I would keep at 20

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I guess hardcore footy fans want to stay at 20 mins.

For casual fans and to attract new fans they want a bit shorter. I think the tv networks want shorter as well.

But yes if I had my way I would keep at 20
That’s why I think we should move to shorter quarters. I’d go for 16 mins with shorter breaks between them.

and cut the rotations down.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
8. When the ball gets back to the center, bounce it ASAP. No waiting for the TV station to finish their ads.
I'm actually fine with the standard 30 second break to get an ad in to pay for things. It takes about that long anyway so may as well standardise it.

The one minute break between goals that they've been using this year is horrendous and would be the first thing to go.

Back