Senior 18. Sam Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m in awe of this guy, finishing last is the best thing that ever happened to us last year because we ended up with Walsh. Imagine when he’s the ripe old age of 23 how good he’s going to be! Insane to think about it.

He’s clutch, he runs harder than anyone including seasoned 25 year olds... every week....

He’s a freak and we pray and hope that he gets a good run with it injury and health wise because he’s a once in a lifetime player based on current trend line (don’t worry about this once I a generation s**t).

Did anyone notice how sublime one of his kicks to JSOS on the wing in the fourth was yesterday? He hit a 40m wedge in between the dogs zone and JSOS didn’t need to move an inch out of step to get into it. The speed his mind works is out of this world for a 5 gamer.

We have Cripps and Walsh and within 3 or 4 seasons there’s a chance they could be the two best mids in the AFL and then we have SPS who showed us his level yesterday! Plus more!

What’s exciting is our two best midfielders for the next decade both appear untaggable. Cripps with his size and strength and Walsh with his relentless running and reading of the play. Even if opposition sides want to tag them they’ll find it very difficult/futile. That’s what’s going to make us a consistently competitive side, week in week out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought Walsh was going to be good, but did not expect such output. Very happy with our selection.
He does remind me of Whitfield in many ways. I think Whitfield was a better kick and can play forward and back. I think Walsh has more inside midfielder ability.

Still both elite runners and smart decision makers.

Then I also see elements of Cotchin in the way Walsh plays. I was a massive Cotchin fan in his draft year, part of me wanted him instead of Kruezer.

We have Cripps and Walsh and within 3 or 4 seasons there’s a chance they could be the two best mids in the AFL and then we have SPS who showed us his level yesterday! Plus more!

Cripps is the best pure midfielder in the AFL right now.

We already know what Walsh is and will become.

Setterfield is the wild-card. I am very bullish on him; we rated him pick 1 of the 2016 draft. I even like that he got suspended for a hard tackle. Our team needs hardness like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Walsh was going to be good, but did not expect such output. Very happy with our selection.

Paddy Dangerfield said that Sam Walsh was AFL ready last year, that was after Walsh went and trained with Geelong.

Geelong were desperate to get Walsh, but had no hope, they know he has Trent Cotchin mixed with Sam Mitchell mixed with Joel Selwood potential. Basically, prospects like this come up once or twice a decade. Easiest draft pick ever.

Not sure if anyones done this yet but C. Judd vs S.Walsh first 5 game averages.

C.Judd
Disposals - 16.4
Goals - 1.6
Tackles - 3
Contested Poss - 9.8

S.Walsh
Disposals - 26.2
Goals - 0.6
Tackles 3.2
Contested Poss - 11
He's the only player to have 24+ disposals in his first 5 games. So right now, S.Walsh>Everyone in the universe.

early days obviously, but he's putting together the best first season I've seen since Judd's rookie campaign
I really don’t get why people have a revised view of Judd’s first season. Is one of the great mysteries of football to me. Like he averaged 15 possessions and a goal a game. Not quite as good as....Conor Rozee.

Think its now fair to say that playing consistently at a high level is an attribute that fits within the scope of the term "x factor"

Think its now fair to say that playing consistently at a high level is an attribute that fits within the scope of the term "x factor"

Walsh has x-factor.

His output is x.

X is always > good by a factor of at least 2. :)

Vanilla, doesn't kick the ball effectively, doesn't kick enough goals..

Seriously, the best first year player to ever play with us? He's at a stage where having 30 possessions is not even impressive, it's just expected.
He's incredible. I was watching the game from home on Saturday. I actually said "I love you" at the screen when he kicked that goal. It was involuntary.

Sam is currently averaging just over 25 possessions a game.
Should a few more of his leads and demand for the ball be honoured, a number around 30 wouldn't be out of the question right now.

Nothing has changed with Sam.
Just knows how to find the ball and in most cases, knows how to make good decisions and you just know that we won't have to worry about him going off the rails, reducing his commitment and output.

We have one serious player on our hands and won't have too many problems holding onto him for some time yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back