Senior 18. Sam Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Walsh is truly a freak of nature. I can't recall ever seeing a player make this sort of impact so young, in a bottom side, with such little support. The gaslighting campaign from several in the media trying to convince us that Walsh isn't that good has ranged from bizarre to hilariously hostile (Doofus' comment that Walsh isn't fit to hold Selwood's boots - as though that's actually a valid line of argument or based on any great insight. Doofus being the talking head who used to play for Port whose name I refuse to use because he's simply trolling to get his name out there more frequently).

He is everything we thought he'd be and more. Already an elite runner, great footy smarts, skillful (don't worry about the comments on his disposal efficiency - he's learning, and frequently gets the ball in tricky situations), tough, can kick goals, loved by the playing group & coaches, a true leader on- and off-field as a 1st year player.

If anything, he is almost too good. I just hope his phenomenal output encourages - rather than discourages - the likes of Dow, SPS etc (who are all immensely talented youngsters in their own right) to keep increasing their work ethic and keep up with him. I firmly believe this will be the case because everyone absolutely loves him. He has an outstanding attitude and has the innate leadership to bring people with him. Should be $1.01 for the Rising Star (if that award had any credibility), and that's from a massive fan of Sydney Stack.
This post has aged very, very nicely. It's been nearly 18 months since this post and everything is 100% spot on.

Well deserved. He did exactly what i was hoping he would do and that is take another step and fix some of his weaker points. Was critical of his kicking last year and even early this year and improved in this area in a big way. Also became more dangerous with the ball and hit the scoreboard.

Need others to look at him and see how hard he works to improve his game and transfer that into gameday

Edit: Personal highlight was that mark against Port - ran 40m knowing he would likely get crunched and took the mark - showed a whole new side of his game right there

Oppo supporters will finally get it when he wins the Brownlow next year...

What a *ing

Injury permitting, he’s the second lock for team of the 21st century....I won’t be around to see it but my kids hopefully will, sprouting to all and sundry in an old age voice just how good Sammy Walsh was in an oldie story telling kind of way

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Love how Walsh has worked on his areas of weakness.

This year, rather than taking on multiple players he is using first options more regularly, his kicking is more measured and balanced, working within his limitations, like all great players

Said it multiple times, he may not end up as the best player from that draft, but have never seen a kid as bust proof as Walsh

When this kid adds more strength and muscle, he will do great things

This year, rather than taking on multiple players he is using first options more regularly, his kicking is more measured and balanced, working within his limitations, like all great players

Said it multiple times, he may not end up as the best player from that draft, but have never seen a kid as bust proof as Walsh

Shaping to be a better version of Jackson Macrae from the dogs.

We'll see how this post ages, but I just see a few players that keep getting mentioned ahead of him, may get ahead of themselves.
Just get that feeling with Rozee & Rankine in particular.

Recent history also tells me that talls have more than expected injury issues; MKing, Lukosius & BKing.
See Daniher, Boyd, Patton, McCartin, Hogan......all for different reasons, but somehow bad things keep happening for the talls.

I see no reason at all why Walsh won't be the best player in his draft year. He just has 'it'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet McCluggage is in the AA squad of 40, bloody media know nothings trying to downplay how good he is

We'll see how this post ages, but I just see a few players that keep getting mentioned ahead of him, may get ahead of themselves.
Just get that feeling with Rozee & Rankine in particular.

Recent history also tells me that talls have more than expected injury issues; MKing, Lukosius & BKing.
See Daniher, Boyd, Patton, McCartin, Hogan......all for different reasons, but somehow bad things keep happening for the talls.

I see no reason at all why Walsh won't be the best player in his draft year. He just has 'it'

Never rated Rozee ahead of Walsh and you know my thought on Rankine, nor do I have M King in the conversation

Others, like Lukosius, B King, Blakey still need time. Smith is a different beast

In the end, none of that matters, sim of all parts

Never rated Rozee ahead of Walsh and you know my thought on Rankine, nor do I have M King in the conversation
Others, like Lukosius, B King, Blakey still need time. Smith is a different beast

In the end, none of that matters, sum of all parts

For sure and Walsh is a good part for many reasons, as is Smith.

Reckon Smith will attract more media attention through the course of his career, as he's somehow more marketable.

Don't kid yourself Arrow, he's going to be the best in that draft. By some way.

The superlatives for this guy. I've said it all. All year

The drive on him is on another planet. The only guy in his draft that is close to him in this regard is Bailey Smith. He's playing in a better midfield in a slightly better team. Put Walsh in the dogs midfield and they're probably winning the flag.

Since Cornes hinted that Walsh was a bust for us Sam's ears pricked up and he's gone to another level. That is the best sign you could hope for. He takes it personally. That is Kobe Bryant (RIP), Michael Jordan, Christiano Ronaldo level sort of stuff. That's a "you're not going to talk smack about me or I'm going to turn it up" level. GOATS have this, GOATS only can turn that on from the get go at a young age. Who in living memory at 19/20 has been as consistent and hungry for the footy as Walsh?...Judd? Pendles? Selwood? (he was in a better team).... even Ablett didn't do this in his first two seasons. I struggle to think of a player in his first two years who's performed at this level in a mediocre side that hasn't played finals.

Kids a freak, his kicking has improved out of sight, he weights his kicks perfectly now, hits the scoreboard, gets contested possessions (21 of 31 contested on the weekend) links up, two way runs all game with more KM's on the clock than anyone else on the park most weeks, averages the most possessions for us every game. Tackles when it's his turn, courageous. He is a complete football player already and he's hellbent on improving every time his boots hit the grass.

in my opinion this guy could end up being the best player to ever strap on a pair of boots for the Footy Club over the course of his career should he keep improving even a few percent as a player each season. We have a very special player on our hands here and the media will wake up to it sooner than later.

Way better and Macrae is extremely underrated by many

Issue with Macrae is that he doesn't kick goals.

Walsh has a very high floor. His target ceiling should be a clean balanced mid of a Whitfield

I don't know if Walsh can even reach Whitfield's field kicking skills but matches his ground covered. If anything I see him as a mixed of Macrae/Pendles.

Defintely an exciting player to watch, we will see in 4 years what type of mid he becomes.

Don't kid yourself Arrow, he's going to be the best in that draft. By some way.

The superlatives for this guy. I've said it all. All year

The drive on him is on another planet. The only guy in his draft that is close to him in this regard is Bailey Smith. He's playing in a better midfield in a slightly better team. Put Walsh in the dogs midfield and they're probably winning the flag.

Since Cornes hinted that Walsh was a bust for us Sam's ears pricked up and he's gone to another level. That is the best sign you could hope for. He takes it personally. That is Kobe Bryant (RIP), Michael Jordan, Christiano Ronaldo level sort of stuff. That's a "you're not going to talk smack about me or I'm going to turn it up" level. GOATS have this, GOATS only can turn that on from the get go at a young age. Who in living memory at 19/20 has been as consistent and hungry for the footy as Walsh?...Judd? Pendles? Selwood? (he was in a better team).... even Ablett didn't do this in his first two seasons. I struggle to think of a player in his first two years who's performed at this level in a mediocre side that hasn't played finals.

Kids a freak, his kicking has improved out of sight, he weights his kicks perfectly now, hits the scoreboard, gets contested possessions (21 of 31 contested on the weekend) links up, two way runs all game with more KM's on the clock than anyone else on the park most weeks, averages the most possessions for us every game. Tackles when it's his turn, courageous. He is a complete football player already and he's hellbent on improving every time his boots hit the grass.

in my opinion this guy could end up being the best player to ever strap on a pair of boots for the Footy Club over the course of his career should he keep improving even a few percent as a player each season. We have a very special player on our hands here and the media will wake up to it sooner than later.

Never not rated him BB, far from. Kid still has massive upside

Remove this Banner Ad

Back