Senior 18. Sam Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam is currently averaging just over 25 possessions a game.
Should a few more of his leads and demand for the ball be honoured, a number around 30 wouldn't be out of the question right now.

Nothing has changed with Sam.
Just knows how to find the ball and in most cases, knows how to make good decisions and you just know that we won't have to worry about him going off the rails, reducing his commitment and output.

We have one serious player on our hands and won't have too many problems holding onto him for some time yet.
Has a real appetite for hard work too, will help him stand out from the pack.

Has had more disposals than any other Carlton player this year.

just-let-that-sink-in-11748559.png

Walsh is truly a freak of nature. I can't recall ever seeing a player make this sort of impact so young, in a bottom side, with such little support. The gaslighting campaign from several in the media trying to convince us that Walsh isn't that good has ranged from bizarre to hilariously hostile (Doofus' comment that Walsh isn't fit to hold Selwood's boots - as though that's actually a valid line of argument or based on any great insight. Doofus being the talking head who used to play for Port whose name I refuse to use because he's simply trolling to get his name out there more frequently).

He is everything we thought he'd be and more. Already an elite runner, great footy smarts, skillful (don't worry about the comments on his disposal efficiency - he's learning, and frequently gets the ball in tricky situations), tough, can kick goals, loved by the playing group & coaches, a true leader on- and off-field as a 1st year player.

If anything, he is almost too good. I just hope his phenomenal output encourages - rather than discourages - the likes of Dow, SPS etc (who are all immensely talented youngsters in their own right) to keep increasing their work ethic and keep up with him. I firmly believe this will be the case because everyone absolutely loves him. He has an outstanding attitude and has the innate leadership to bring people with him. Should be $1.01 for the Rising Star (if that award had any credibility), and that's from a massive fan of Sydney Stack.

Walsh is truly a freak of nature. I can't recall ever seeing a player make this sort of impact so young, in a bottom side, with such little support. The gaslighting campaign from several in the media trying to convince us that Walsh isn't that good has ranged from bizarre to hilariously hostile (Doofus' comment that Walsh isn't fit to hold Selwood's boots - as though that's actually a valid line of argument or based on any great insight. Doofus being the talking head who used to play for Port whose name I refuse to use because he's simply trolling to get his name out there more frequently).

He is everything we thought he'd be and more. Already an elite runner, great footy smarts, skillful (don't worry about the comments on his disposal efficiency - he's learning, and frequently gets the ball in tricky situations), tough, can kick goals, loved by the playing group & coaches, a true leader on- and off-field as a 1st year player.

If anything, he is almost too good. I just hope his phenomenal output encourages - rather than discourages - the likes of Dow, SPS etc (who are all immensely talented youngsters in their own right) to keep increasing their work ethic and keep up with him. I firmly believe this will be the case because everyone absolutely loves him. He has an outstanding attitude and has the innate leadership to bring people with him. Should be $1.01 for the Rising Star (if that award had any credibility), and that's from a massive fan of Sydney Stack.
Every game Walsh doesn't get injured, his Rising Star odds will drop. If he was to get injured and miss the last 5 games, they wouldn't be able to award it to him. If he continues on this pace, or unless Stack or Rozee suddenly start averaging 25 disposals and 2 goals a game, the award is his.

I described him as similar to Nathan Buckley (or perhaps with more granularity, somewhere on the star spectrum between Kelly and Buckley), and wondered if he would fit well in our system and our list structure. Given we're struggling to find midfield opportunities for Lang, Kennedy, Stocker, Silvagni, Thomas and SPS, I'd say that's somewhat warranted.

Has he exceed my expectations in his first year? Yes, but it's important to remember his limitations he must continue to work on, and that we will need to make some decisions at the trade table in order to better balance our list going forward.

He’s doing things in his first season that it’s taken current elite midfielder’s up to four seasons to achieve.

As an example, he is on track for 550+ disposals this season. Cotchin didn’t get 550 until his fourth season, he won the Brownlow the following year.

He’s matched Selwood’s first season output in five less games to this point. He already has more contested possessions than Selwood did in his first season in just sixteen games.

He has the makings of being an elite talent for many, many years.

We have a special one here.

He’s doing things in his first season that it’s taken current elite midfielder’s up to four seasons to achieve.

As an example, he is on track for 550+ disposals this season. Cotchin didn’t get 550 until his fourth season, he won the Brownlow the following year.

He’s matched Selwood’s first season output in five less games to this point. He already has more contested possessions than Selwood did in his first season in just sixteen games.

He has the makings of being an elite talent for many, many years.

We have a special one here.
Yeah the biggest knock on Walsh is his lack of upside. Though if he was to produce what he currently does for the next 15 years then you would take that anyway.

Absolute worst case scenario, he is a very consistent, good player. More realistically he will develop areas of his game and become an elite midfielder, and captain of the club.

Yeah the biggest knock on Walsh is his lack of upside. Though if he was to produce what he currently does for the next 15 years then you would take that anyway.
Absolute worst case scenario, he is a very consistent, good player. More realistically he will develop areas of his game and become an elite midfielder, and captain of the club.

Watch Walsh close. Everything he does makes sense.
Where his efforts don't pay off, the reasons for executing them are reasonable.

This is a premium IQ player that doesn't need to do backflips to make good for what his ideas happen to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just an award, but hardly a surprise.
Could have picked him winning the RS last year, almost two years out :)

Coaches do see more than the average punter, so well done to Sam.
It is though somewhat strange how that average punter keeps looking for holes in Walsh's game, they turn a blind eye to, in others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back