Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

If we traded Atley then we'd be further lamenting the lack of pace in the team.
The guy is 24, a proper footballer with prototype physical attributes and its up to the club as well as Shaun to get the best out of himself.
I always feel like Atley's career is just bubbling at the surface and about to take off.
If traded, it is at our absolute peril.

Didn't he play most of his junior career in the midfield?
Yep , but as is our clubs want we try and turn him into a backline player as we have with McDonald. Personally with the way game is played these days he should be played half forward using his pace in the space when the ball gets over the back of oppositions defence . With the odd spell in the centre square

Another who lacks the football iq the only reason he is in the team is that he is above average quick

Incorrect.

Atley never had problems finding the footy in juniors it's why he was a potential top 10 pick in his year.

We've stifled his development by trying to make him a defensive lock down half back who provides run and carry.

As is the case with a lot of our blokes their natural instinct to go and win the footy is stifled by all the over coaching to structures and game plans.

Put him in the centre square and tell him to find the footy as often as possible and you'll see this blokes footy brain shine

Incorrect.

Atley never had problems finding the footy in juniors it's why he was a potential top 10 pick in his year.

We've stifled his development by trying to make him a defensive lock down half back who provides run and carry.

As is the case with a lot of our blokes their natural instinct to go and win the footy is stifled by all the over coaching to structures and game plans.

Put him in the centre square and tell him to find the footy as often as possible and you'll see this blokes footy brain shine
I have a lot of faith in Atleys abilities. As you say he has been pigeonholed into playing a position and structure that is not conducive to his skill potential and development. Anyone that judges his attribute as being pace only are correct, and that is because the team structure has forced him to play one single role, and that is run off the hbf. Not Atleys fault.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Incorrect.

he might be able to find the footy but too many times he indecisive when he has. He looks like hes in two minds as to what to do and it results in a turnover or a poor disposal. But he's defiantly one that should be thrown in to the middle for an extended period of time to see if he can adapt his game to become a dangerous midfielder.

he might be able to find the footy but too many times he indecisive when he has. He looks like hes in two minds as to what to do and it results in a turnover or a poor disposal. But he's defiantly one that should be thrown in to the middle for an extended period of time to see if he can adapt his game to become a dangerous midfielder.

This often happens when people aren't acting instinctively. Either thru lack of confidence or overthinking (trying to work out) what they are doing.

I'd pretty much given up on him at one point last year but there are times he gets the ball and is clean, fast and uses it well so I've revised that opinion. I think he needs to have less time and more immediate pressure to perform at his best and that does suggest giving him some time in the middle.

Atley, more than anyone else who is a regular senior player, should be mastering the give and get, and using his pace to advantage, it appears that when he gets the pill now, generally is happy to give it off and return to the backline, instead of running past and receiving it back to go on a run with a bounce or two, and an inside 50.

Atley, more than anyone else who is a regular senior player, should be mastering the give and get, and using his pace to advantage, it appears that when he gets the pill now, generally is happy to give it off and return to the backline, instead of running past and receiving it back to go on a run with a bounce or two, and an inside 50.

Structures

Because our chain of possession more often than not breaks down and then he'd be caught out of position.

You need to be able to trust your teammates to execute basic skills in order to run out of position.

Not an elite ball winner in junior footy, won't translate to one in senior footy. Still, should be used at stoppages more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Structures

That's what i thought too.

Atley has reasonable handball skills. High de according to a couple of years stats, perfect for that job. LMac on the wing can push back to cover him.

Brad Scott was slow wasn't he (I don't really remember)? Maybe he just doesn't understand pace in football. IIRC Brisbane were a pressure and defensive side back at the turn of the century. Almost a "response to Pagan's Paddock" side. Hard and hard to beat but not tear it apart up the middle type flair. Considering there were three Brownlow medalists in the side I don't remember it for its flair and attacking footy.

Maybe Scott just doesn't understand how to use pace or its not his first option when thinking about how footy happens.

Not an elite ball winner in junior footy, won't translate to one in senior footy. Still, should be used at stoppages more.

We don't need him to win the footy though, we have the guys inside to win it. They don't have anyone streaming on the outside to give it to.

He should be coming off the back of the square.

We don't need him to win the footy though, we have the guys inside to win it. They don't have anyone streaming on the outside to give it to.

He should be coming off the back of the square.
But then the opposition just put a fast bloke qho can tackle on him and hey presto, he don't get the pill.

Now that he is out of the back line i want to see him as part of the rotations proper where he can win his own ball and use his first step to create that initial overlap, then gut run to create the next option.

In terms of the whole 'are we developing players the right way' i think Ats is the most interesting case - i.e. would he have done better at another club? He looked great early days with pace and flare - but no doubt he has stagnated. That goal against Richmond in Hobart was special - however i don't think i have seen him in the forward 50 since then. I am not sure who is to blame in all this but i certainly think he needs to pushed at least to the centre/wing area if not even closer to goal.

That goal against Richmond in Hobart was special - however i don't think i have seen him in the forward 50 since then.
He had two shots at goal in round 1, for a return of 1.1. That is all. No where near enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back