Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

Williams, Mullett and McDonald have waltzed right past him. Obvious one to omit when Wright gets back on the park unless he improved his form somehow

You ant Basti? Can't even get a gig at Brisbane!
I think he would have got dropped for not doing those things he's been instructed to do.......its happened to the best before. We "developed" over a 100 games into Basti before freighting him out, there isnt much difference other than the speed factor of Atley, saving him from grace.
Dont forget that Basti played a role he wasn't that good at, he was an inside mid but Cunners Jack and Swallow had those positions.........and he didnt offer Basti that much time in there. Scott preferred to play him as a negating tagger at times, then got Jacobs in there as well.

Last edited:
There was one piece of play when Ats had space straight down the corridor at half back but he stopped his run, turned around and handballed to a stationary player in the D50

When he gets the ball, he seems to want to get rid of it as soon as possible, rather than hold onto the ball and weigh up his options like our better decision makers would (Cunners, ect.).

Needs to back himself more and be more confident in his ability. If I had his talent, I would be an arrogant pr**k on the ground.

We need to get his hands on the ball more and for longer because it will make us a better side.

We need to get his hands on the ball more and for longer because it will make us a better side.
Couldn't disagree more!

Trade bait. If he hasn't developed the ability to think his way through things by now, he ain't going to. Ironically, this weakness is amplified when coupled with his key strength; pace. The faster he goes, the less able he seems to be at making a good decision.

average football player, very disappointed with him i would have thought moving him up the ground he would have improved immensely but hasn't. Another player who doesn't get enough of the ball and i don't think he will ever improve in our team, time to move him on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't help but think that our club kills talent. In his first ten games, this guy played with such instinct and looked the goods.

Now think about all our new players over the past 8 or so years and how fluid and confident their style was in their debut year - heck what is damning is that they had style then.

In the subsequent years something has happened to these players as they have "matured". Unfortunately hardly any of our players utilise their football instinct.

Has anyone noticed that this quality returns when Crocker has coached in Scott's absence.

Preuss and Simpkin have looked like a million bucks this year because they play with flair. How long can they continue playing this style before they are consumed by the rigid and stale structures that have stymied so many of our draftees in recent history?

P.S: loving the effort of the team, can't be stuffed with result to be honest!

Been saying it for a couple of years...

Crap footballer. Needs 8+ games for Werribee in a row to see where he is at and if he has the desire to win a place back in the team after years of game gifting.

I cant understand why someone so fast as Atley does run and break lines the moment he does get free he cant wait to handball it off.
Needs to look at how Johannisen plays the game will lots of run and meters gained.
Honestly I would take a hungry Alsatian to training, strap a raw steak to his butt and give Shawn a 3 second head start. Start running and you better not stop!

He's trade bait...seriously. To think we offloaded Bastinac (with Swallow finishing 2017/18) and kept him because he runs fast !!! Give me Adam Saad anyday, and we could have gotten him for free........who are our talent scouts !!
Ha ha Ozzy, i was just thinking to myself, imagine if Atley was even half as keen to have a run and bounce as that Saad dude at Gold Coast, that guy knows he has pace and is happy to use it.

Atley needs to play around the stoppages, take the game on like Judd used too and kick it long inside 50, no handballs!!
That's how he'll become a weapon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back