Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

This had me shaking my head for a good 10 minutes.

He had a bloke wide open inside the 50 (Garner?) and then he feigns left to a player, then feigns right to a player, then kicks the ball in to the Melbourne player coming at him......ballgoesdowntheotherendandmelbournegoal.

Why didn't he just take the first AND BEST option?

It gets ******* hard to defend him when he does stuff like that.
Classic case of too many (good ) options & still managing to stuff it up.

He was lining up at half forward at times today.
Was tagging whoever it is runs off half back for em. Ats is your average role player now.

Can we trade him to Essendon?

but seriously... he needs to go back to the VFL and play as a genuine midfielder, hopefully learn and gain some confidence at a lower level.

I really want him to succeed, but he is testing mine and everyone's patience.
I can't help thinking back to that goal he kicked on his left in the Semi final win against Sydney in 2015 to seal the win for us. He should be at that level regularly now.

Because he's an athlete, not a footballer. Someone with a footballer's brain instinctively gives the handball first time, Shaun has to think about it which gives the opposition time to adjust and intercept.

I reckon if you went back to looked at his worst turnovers throughout his career, they all happen when he has too much time with the ball to make a decision.

It's amazing how often some player's heads explode when given all the time, space and opportunity to make a decision.

Did the right thing by waiting to draw the defender to give the overlap runner more space but then stuffed up by not forcing him to commit to a tackle or smother. Gotta head-fake him out.

Rob, he had the longer option wide open mate.

Rob, he had the longer option wide open mate.
It was on the opposite wing to where I was but I thought the GoDees player was still hedging his bets and was ready to turn and chase. If Ats had gone straight away it probably would have been fine but I don't fault him for trying to create more space.

He did absolutely stuff up the second part of his brilliant plan. Not saying it wasn't a s**t turnover.

For me, the quintessential Shaun Atley moment was in the Sydney game. He bursts off the half back line and looks a million dollars. He thinks about it, tells Brown to lead up at him and then kicks it over his head.

To be fair, Brown runs under a lot of ball which he could slow down for. We should get him an eye test.

I think if there was someone with his explosive pace in the two's that was ready to be promoted then his place would be in jeopardy but dropping him upsets the balance of the current side in terms of pace.

He is doing enough good things to offset the brain fades at the moment but the % of good At's acts needs to increase compared to brain fades or he will find himself playing for Werribee.

He had a bloke wide open inside the 50 (Garner?) and then he feigns left to a player, then feigns right to a player, then kicks the ball in to the Melbourne player coming at him......ballgoesdowntheotherendandmelbournegoal.

10 minutes?

It pisses me off when I think about it now.

It was monumentally stupid.

Ive been a pretty big advocate, but f*** that was beyond stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i actually thought the other one was worse, the one with 14mins to go in the 2nd, gets possession 10 meters clear , the spread was on and just had to pop it over to the top to a choice of 3 players, instead he hesitates whilst running toward the opposition and has the handball chopped off, dees go coast to coast and goal. these are the actions that burn your teams tickets and make you look like a slug in the 4th quarter.

I can't fault Atley for effort. And he didn't put his head down. He kept taking the game on. His execution of his disposals is also better. But good lord does he make some of the most bizarre decisions, and they are so costly because they expose us when we're spreading.

He's improved on a lot of fronts. I pray he can improve his decision making, I really do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back