Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been as critical of Atley as most this year, particularly early on, and I've acknowledged his past few games have shown promise - though I still want a grab of that commentary from the Dogs game giantroo :p - but surely this is a classic case of BF hyperbole. He's showing some good signs in not losing his head and not overdoing the bursts, and has shown some good quarter-to-quarter consistency, but elite?!

For me, I want to see if his form continues to warrant 'keep in the side' or 'reliable performer' before I'd go to 'one of our better players', let alone 'elite', even with Ben10 alongside.

I do, however, share the sentiment that prospectively, he (and others, such as Luke) may have the opportunity to shine with better players alongside them. The 'shuffle down' effect of getting Dusty and/or Kelly should be a major bonus.
Yes you have been one of a few on here very critical of Ats - but we don't need to go over old ground here - everyone can read their own historical posts on this subject and learn from them.

That said you are still under selling him - Ats is far beyond 'keep in side' status - when Ats is played in his best position of wing/half forward, as he has in the past month - he is in the first 6-8 picked. Not elite yet, sure, but a player that is essential to keep and will be a key part of our future.

He's showing some glimpses this year.

But we have seen that before, so its on him to consistently bring his a game.

But we have seen that before, so its on him to consistently bring his a game.

This could be said of almost anyone who's played more than a handful of senior games on our list.

Glimpses but need consistency.

If we had everyone playing to the level of say their third best game every week consistently, not only would we not be dipping we'd be a bloody good hard side.

Yes you have been one of a few on here very critical of Ats - but we don't need to go over old ground here - everyone can read their own historical posts on this subject and learn from them.

That said you are still under selling him - Ats is far beyond 'keep in side' status - when Ats is played in his best position of wing/half forward, as he has in the past month - he is in the first 6-8 picked. Not elite yet, sure, but a player that is essential to keep and will be a key part of our future.

Don't worry, the knockers will be laying in wait for Shaun to commit a fumble/clanger and then they will leap to their keyboards.

Hansen went from good solid season to untradeable for a 4th round pick, based upon one bad half of football.

They sit, they wait, and then they pounce.

Equal 9th most improved player in the comp @ round 17 according to CD

DFEWETiV0AIRyZq.jpg:large

I've been as critical of Atley as most this year, particularly early on, and I've acknowledged his past few games have shown promise - though I still want a grab of that commentary from the Dogs game giantroo :p - but surely this is a classic case of BF hyperbole. He's showing some good signs in not losing his head and not overdoing the bursts, and has shown some good quarter-to-quarter consistency, but elite?!

For me, I want to see if his form continues to warrant 'keep in the side' or 'reliable performer' before I'd go to 'one of our better players', let alone 'elite', even with Ben10 alongside.

I do, however, share the sentiment that prospectively, he (and others, such as Luke) may have the opportunity to shine with better players alongside them. The 'shuffle down' effect of getting Dusty and/or Kelly should be a major bonus.

Apologies. That was hugely tongue in cheek.

In the Cunners thread we are already calling him Elite, thus Atley already has an elite midfielder around him and should already be a star.

This could be said of almost anyone who's played more than a handful of senior games on our list.

Glimpses but need consistency.

If we had everyone playing to the level of say their third best game every week consistently, not only would we not be dipping we'd be a bloody good hard side.
Its true. A number of our 100+ gamers have really struggled with it. Indeed we would be bloody good otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear Atley went harder at the footy during the JLT than he has in the last 3 weeks.

He looked good when the opposition was applying zero pressure. Now - get ball, run 10 metres, dispose of ball. No running bounces, no using pace to break lines, no risk, no damage. Just so vanilla I could clean my fridge with him.

016381.jpg

I never doubted him :thumbsu:

I watched the game on TV and didn't think he was a stand out but glad he looked good live. Our middle tier players need to lift and he along with Fishy, Garner and the injured trio of J Mac, Sammy W and Ben J are the key to more consistent performances.

He just looks more purposeful, more confident about his lot and after a string of good games you have to expect that.

Even when he made that 1 error yesterday he chased back 100 metres to correct it - the bounce didn't go his way in the goal square but the intent was there to fix the error.

He may have been steak knives in some end of year bargaining 3 months ago but not now - he is very much a required player.

Very happy with his play at the moment. Has shown 8-10 weeks of great consistency, effort and intensity in a team that has been struggling. Playing like a leader to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back