Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

He is essentially our only player willing to break lines and take the game on. Everyone else seems happy to chip the ball sideways and kick long down the line. Yes he makes mistakes and frustrates at times but at least he's dangerous.

Agree. And at least he still has the nuts to take it on. He's one of very few players that consistently do so for us. Had a couple of pings last game that he should have nailed then when he finally got the easier one he appeared to get confused by two open North options and instead of nailing the extremely gettable one he tried to do the team thing and fluffed it.

When it's not just him and McDonald that can run, break lines and do it confidently we will look a lot better.

He's no good. (for us)

Made an AFL career off running fast.

Pick 2 and Atley (we pay some of his salary) for Josh Kelly.

I'd do the deal.
Lol and that is why you're not a list manager. Even Terry Wallace wouldn't do that.

Last edited:
Lol and that is why you're not a list manager. Even Terry Wallace wouldn't do that.

I really thought he found good spots, but as too often happens couldn't get it done.

I just feel it may be best for both parties to have a fresh start, especially considering the young players coming through.

Assuming pick 3 doesn't get the Kelly deal done on it's own, who do you suggest trading that GWS might (potentially) want that we are content giving up?

A very high pick and Atley doesn't seem at all too much to me for a potential superstar of the competition.

I really thought he found good spots, but as too often happens couldn't get it done.

I just feel it may be best for both parties to have a fresh start, especially considering the young players coming through.

Assuming pick 3 doesn't get the Kelly deal done on it's own, who do you suggest trading that GWS might (potentially) want that we are content giving up?

A very high pick and Atley doesn't seem at all too much to me for a potential superstar of the competition.
Its not that I wouldn't take that trade, its the fact you seem to think that GWS would though that baffled me.

To answer the question, the big one is Goldstein. Perfect to replace an aging, ill disciplined Mummy

Its not that I wouldn't take that trade, its the fact you seem to think that GWS would though that baffled me.

To answer the question, the big one is Goldstein. Perfect to replace an aging, ill disciplined Mummy

Fair enough, as an enticement on top of the pick, thought might be possible.

Goldstien is the obvious one yes, but his currency is dropping by the day. We'd be paying a fair bit of his salary I suspect if that deal was to be done.

He is essentially our only player willing to break lines and take the game on. Everyone else seems happy to chip the ball sideways and kick long down the line. Yes he makes mistakes and frustrates at times but at least he's dangerous.
He's one player who frustrates the hell out of me during games when he makes mistakes. But when I've calmed down I can see your point is correct and he is trying to be creative. A more open forward line and other running players coming in waves may allow him to find a teammate who isn't outnumbered against a defensive zone. Look at how Richmond or Essendon is moving the ball - Atley would fit that gameplan better.

Overall he has shown an improvement this year and I'd like to see how he goes if we get Kelly/better midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't a very high pick though. Late 1st round in a compromised draft.

Just like one good game doesn't mean he's arrived, one bad one doesn't undo all the progress he's made this year. Until recently CD had him along with Luke as our most improved players in his changed role up the ground. So it's not like he's stagnated or gone stale like Basti or Black. He's better in almost every statistical category than last year: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...&pid1=3463&pid2=3463&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2016

Now Marley, JMac, Wright, EVW are all out injured and he's been back more. Would prefer we didn't have to do that.

He's a good player. He's just not Judd.

As for what GWS would want? The only holes in their list would be KPDs and pressure forwards. Don't think Ats is either of those.

They would jump at Preuss but I doubt he'd be on the table. One of our young KPDs or a Wagner/Turner type would suit them.

He wasn't a very high pick though. Late 1st round in a compromised draft.

Just like one good game doesn't mean he's arrived, one bad one doesn't undo all the progress he's made this year. Until recently CD had him along with Luke as our most improved players in his changed role up the ground. So it's not like he's stagnated or gone stale like Basti or Black. He's better in almost every statistical category than last year: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...&pid1=3463&pid2=3463&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2016

Now Marley, JMac, Wright, EVW are all out injured and he's been back more. Would prefer we didn't have to do that.

He's a good player. He's just not Judd.

As for what GWS would want? The only holes in their list would be KPDs and pressure forwards. Don't think Ats is either of those.

You may have misread what I wrote there Rob - I didn't mean he was a very high pick (I meant ours for finishing near last and Atley)

GWS took a near finished Deledio for depth, so it's not beyond realms of possibility they might look at an inferior but younger/faster Atley too. (for the reasons you point out)

I don't think we should give any more picks than our first considering state of the list, so if it means a handy player goes as well (if they agree etc) I'm comfortable with that.

Brett Anderson suggesting that North maybe looking to move Shaun at end of year. Curious as at best he'd probably net us a second rounder alone. Could be part of a Kelly trade?

Brett Anderson suggesting that North maybe looking to move Shaun at end of year. Curious as at best he'd probably net us a second rounder alone. Could be part of a Kelly trade?

lets hope so, i would think some clubs will see value and picking up Atley especially in a top 4 side.

I wouldn't trade Atley for Motlop (and not just because I wouldn't trade for Motlop if you held a gun to my head).

I'd trade Atley if we got overs only. He's not perfect but he has played 150 games, is solid to good, has attributes (and age profile) that we massively lack in the middle and most importantly appears to be bloody durable for a faster guy. Has barely missed a game since establishing himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back