Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

Hall is getting 30+ possession in 50% of his games this year, averaging 26 possessions and in two of those games he played less than 30% of one full game in total (5 and 23% tog). So if you don't count those games he is averaging just under 31.4 possessions a game.

Yet Atley is playing better defensive footy in terms of defending (not necessarily in terms of turnovers tho Hall is averaging two more per game.)

Ats was pick 17 or 18 yeah? But we expect him to have averaged 25/30+ possessions for a decade?

Like Andrew GAGF, who went at pick 4?

Its seems Ats is suffering from unfair expectations, not lack of ability.
I blame Dodoro for talking him too much.

I think this is it but - its not an excuse to shitcan our own players imho.
No one is s**t canning here .
but if u think not highlighting our past & current weaknesses & seeing opportunities for improvement is shitcanning then u shouldn’t be on a BigFooty .
What would you like us to do ? Keep putting our heads in the sand & keep going through our 8-9 finish seasons again ?

Hall is getting 30+ possession in 50% of his games this year, averaging 26 possessions and in two of those games he played less than 30% of one full game in total (5 and 23% tog). So if you don't count those games he is averaging just under 31.4 possessions a game.

Yet Atley is playing better defensive footy in terms of defending (not necessarily in terms of turnovers tho Hall is averaging two more per game.)

Ats was pick 17 or 18 yeah? But we expect him to have averaged 25/30+ possessions for a decade?

Like Andrew GAGF, who went at pick 4?

Its seems Ats is suffering from unfair expectations, not lack of ability.

I kinda just wanted him to run an extra 5-10 meters and hit a few leading targets...

Personally I'm pretty happy with how At's has been doing for the last 2/3rds of the season to date. IIRC early on he was playing very offensively and making a dogs breakfast of it every second time, but right now (aided no doubt by Hall's inclusion) he seems to be playing more lockdown and doing fine.

I agree with people that say any number of our kids may go past him in the near future, but it hasn't happened yet and I don't think Atley is a bad player by any means. Solid B grader that underutilises his speed. Would love him to be more but that's just how it is.

No one is sh*t canning here .
but if u think not highlighting our past & current weaknesses & seeing opportunities for improvement is shitcanning then u shouldn’t be on a BigFooty .
What would you like us to do ? Keep putting our heads in the sand & keep going through our 8-9 finish seasons again ?
lol. You've shitcanned him consistently the whole year with potshots.

I kinda just wanted him to run an extra 5-10 meters and hit a few leading targets...
I often wonder if it doesn't happen cos no one is presenting. We are notoriously still and stagnent on our forward line.

I often wonder if it doesn't happen cos no one is presenting. We are notoriously still and stagnent on our forward line.
That's definitely one aspect of it. Personally I think he takes too long looking for the perfect option, and the remaining options just get worse as time goes on and then he's a bit rushed with his disposal. He also sometimes just shanks things. Everyone does, but when you're in the back half it's more obvious and has a propensity to hurt more.

Personally I'm pretty happy with how At's has been doing for the last 2/3rds of the season to date. IIRC early on he was playing very offensively and making a dogs breakfast of it every second time, but right now (aided no doubt by Hall's inclusion) he seems to be playing more lockdown and doing fine.

I agree with people that say any number of our kids may go past him in the near future, but it hasn't happened yet and I don't think Atley is a bad player by any means. Solid B grader that underutilises his speed. Would love him to be more but that's just how it is.

lol. You've shitcanned him consistently the whole year with potshots.
113A2F5B-027B-4150-80D4-14FFA14383D5.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be delisted this year.

No he won’t, like it or not he is getting games because he is in the best 22 for the club, that doesn’t mean he always will be but separate to the guys delisted last year he is genuinely in our best side, largely due to the role he plays. We don’t have anyone better in that role, this won’t change until we bring in someone better. You can’t just cut a player like that, if you do you will end up like Melbourne in 2009. Similarly you don’t pay premium $ for flankers like Carlton.

The only way we move him on is if we have recruited a good flanker (which we should only do so on moderate $).

He isn’t perfect for sure but he also does a lot for the structure that at present we can’t replace.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No he won’t, like it or not he is getting games because he is in the best 22 for the club, that doesn’t mean he always will be but separate to the guys delisted last year he is genuinely in our best side, largely due to the role he plays. We don’t have anyone better in that role, this won’t change until we bring in someone better. You can’t just cut a player like that, if you do you will end up like Melbourne in 2009. Similarly you don’t pay premium $ for flankers like Carlton.

The only way we move him on is if we have recruited a good flanker (which we should only do so on moderate $).

He isn’t perfect for sure but he also does a lot for the structure that at present we can’t replace.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Based on three games at the end of last year Flynn Perez could be someone better.

But that is only three games at the end of last year, its almost meaningless at this stage. We don't even know if Flynn's body is up to it. And even if Flynn starts to live up to his potential by the end of next year he is still young. Bonar is in exactly the same boat.

If we delist Ats we basically have Hall and LMac as exerienced back flankers. (JZ is in his first year so he doesn't count and Turner is more of a lockdown small than a medium flanker.)

At the end of next year we may have all of McGuiness, Hayden, Bonar, Young, P.Walker, Ham (possibly, he's more the size of Atu and Turner tho,) and Perez competing for the position as well but we don't right now (and every single one of those players has potential question marks over them. Some may not be here next year.)

I'd be surprised if we delisted Ats or Hall until at least the end of next year. At least. We're really only halfway thru the season, so all that could change, but its where we are at right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back