Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats one of the main reasons why we have been mediocre to crap for so many years !
People here & the club in the past have been satisfied with a vanilla team & player performances . “200 gamer who never gets injured “ gee ,that will do ! 👍 , win us premierships & take us to the promised land .👍👏
I swear people here don’t watch football and have NFI.
How many Shaun Atleys do U think Richmond , Geelong , Go Dees or Dogs Currently have do u reckon ? & if they had any at all , they are long gone .
This should be our goal as a club as well.
This is a ruthless game . The game has changed . Atley would be a 300 plus gamer if he was playing in the 70’s . Low profile, , just turn up , Man on man , take no risks , clear the ball from defence down the line anywhere & just do your job week in week out. This type of back pocket / half back flankers were a plenty back then & was good enough.
if we are f#cking serious about rebuilding , this guy does not last this end of years pending clean out surely.
We need players with flair , skill & who want to put them on the line each week by backing themselves who also have some sort of confidence in their own ability to perform each week .
Speaking of confidence. It’s happening already , have a look today how many of our players look at Atley who is free when they have the footy & choose a harder option. Aaron Hall especially! They have no confidence in him .
Good news is that We are getting good depth now with kids who play 2021 style footy . It’s only a matter of time . Noble knows this but injuries or very raw kids who are not quite ready yet has prevented him from axing Atley .
As I said before , I would much rather watch a kid like Perez, Bonar , Ham Etc in the near future learn & get games & make mistakes than continue watching a non confidence 200 + gamer make the same mistakes week in week out and who is taking us no where .
I agree with the sentiment, but you are wrong about the 70's. It could get quite nasty. :)

It depends on the picks, but pretty much yes.
Atley to Free Agency No other club are going to Waiste a spot there list for him his done .
The only options for him as are follows.
1:Delisted.
2:Retires.
3:If delisted plays VFL as the Captain and convinces his mate McMillian to play

Offers nothing. Doesn’t win one on ones, doesn’t rebound, doesn’t take intercept marks. Is just there, doing nothing - or more often than not, stuffing up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm ready to see him gone. He's just so bog average.

You're not going to even come close to winning a final with a player like him in the team.

I'm sick of seeing the deer in the headlights look he has whenever he has to use his pace and stop, and his terrible one on one defending.
I hear you my friend...
I hear you
13F96720-C1DD-4C0C-95F2-6409A01D406F.gif

Good catching by Bevo to take Ats to the goal square on a small forward. Negates Ats run & rebound & highlights one of his weaknesses. He is a poor one on one defender as he doesn’t read it well. The recruitment of Marley was cos we did not have a player who could shut down small forward. We still dont.

Good catching by Bevo to take Ats to the goal square on a small forward. Negates Ats run & rebound & highlights one of his weaknesses. He is a poor one on one defender as he doesn’t read it well. The recruitment of Marley was cos we did not have a player who could shut down small forward. We still dont.
Has to be atu or turner.

No idea what atley offers. Even when he has the ball he takes the safe option like he's a KPP or a ruck. Vanilla.

A defender who isn't good at defending. Not all that good at attacking either. At best he's reliably average.

So if you were an opposition coach what would you want Atley’s opponent to do. I would put a clever small forward on him, take him to the goal square and play him alongside a marking target. This means if he runs and carries it would be from the goal square and not the hb line & because a clever small forward can cut him up & he is not good in the air so would not impact on the marking contest.
Bevo must read BF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back