Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

So many people are incapable of making the obvious correlation between our midfield getting killed for pace and the resulting impact this has on our flankers & pockets.

Not sure about others but still dont know why we have moved him forward. 2016 he was one of the best lockdown small defenders in the league averaging just over a goal a game kicked on him. He went hard at marking contests with his speed and made a great impact. He also at times provided run off half back, why have we changed him? We lack speed in our backline with marley being the only genuine speedster there why chnge it?

Not sure about others but still dont know why we have moved him forward. 2016 he was one of the best lockdown small defenders in the league averaging just over a goal a game kicked on him. He went hard at marking contests with his speed and made a great impact. He also at times provided run off half back, why have we changed him? We lack speed in our backline with marley being the only genuine speedster there why chnge it?
I would say its because the ball bounces out of our forward line at lighting speed and we needed someone to provide pressure to try and lock it in, i think he had a solid start to the season up forward, but has really dropped of lately.
Not sure why mid game BS doesn't switch the likes of Atley and Wright around both were doing nothing against the dogs.

After weeks of anonymity in the forward line, Shaun gets rewarded with a gig at half back this week, ensuring we can't play all of LDU, Ahern, Walker and Mountford.

And LMac rewarded with a move up the ground. To use his pace off a wing I suppose. Probably because Dec couldn't play that role.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top 5 goal kicker for the club last year with 16.

Never thought I’d see Shaun Atley on that list.

Can't wait for him to be moved back to the backline to stagnate. Forwards don't kick goals at North Melbourne.

He looks good based on that one photo, perhaps never better.

2019 is going to be the absolute last time we say this is Atley's year.
We gonna delist him at the end of the season?

We gonna delist him at the end of the season?

I'd be surprised if that happened but his spot in the team is becoming more under threat. I hope he has his best season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All bullshit essendon, shortsteppell jokes aside (even though they were warranted at the time).....who here would do a straight swap for Heppell?
In a heart beat.

All bullshit essendon, shortsteppell jokes aside (even though they were warranted at the time).....who here would do a straight swap for Heppell?
All bullshit aside, Heppell's good at what he does but he's neither fish nor fowl. Not especially contested, not especially creative or damaging. He's busy, good workrate, but deeply meh.

Atley's fine, Heppell's probably better but he's not super-elite and Merrett's already gone past him.

FWIW, Player ratings has Heppell 57th overall and 36th among midfielders, Atley 120th overall and 11th among general forwards They're not far apart in the relative pecking order for their positions.

I'd do the trade but I don't think it would make us that much better over a 2-3 year window. We're more likely to get Heppell-level output from a developing mid than find another general forward to contribute at Atley's level.

All bullshit aside, Heppell's good at what he does but he's neither fish nor fowl. Not especially contested, not especially creative or damaging. He's busy, good workrate, but deeply meh.
Very interesting perspective. I didn't see enough of Essendon this year to be able to strongly agree or disagree with this assessment.

Of what I did see, Heppell looked like exactly the kind of player we could use: can get the ball, can pass the ball, can go when it is his turn to go.

Very interesting perspective. I didn't see enough of Essendon this year to be able to strongly agree or disagree with this assessment.

Of what I did see, Heppell looked like exactly the kind of player we could use: can get the ball, can pass the ball, can go when it is his turn to go.

I know quite a few * fans that think Heppel is a selfish player and adds minimal benefit to his side.

with the new Kick in rule and the addition of some quick players I expect Shaun to be one player who will benefit.
Will be a vital link player and one who could run forward into open space .
Will be interesting how he is used

Remove this Banner Ad

Back