Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I too would like to see 75kg Turner hanging off Cripps/Dangerfield/Fyfe as he grabs the ball from the middle and launches it over our defensive zone.

Someone hanging of them is an improvement on the current set up of waving them goodbye as they run away from us.

But Brad will fix it with his minor adjustments.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Someone hanging of them is an improvement on the current set up of waving them goodbye as they run away from us.

But Brad will fix it with his minor adjustments.
You'd have to factor in how much weaker we'd be going the other direction though. I'm not sure if there is a fix accessible to us. I just think we should play positive footy with our best available young players at this point. We're clearly not threatening for a flag and no white knight midfield gun is joining us at the end of the season. Time to start building around players like Ahern, LDU, Scott and Thomas who look like they could actually be AA quality players. Not trying to find roles for battlers like Turner and Atley.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You'd have to factor in how much weaker we'd be going the other direction though. I'm not sure if there is a fix accessible to us. I just think we should play positive footy with our best available young players at this point. We're clearly not threatening for a flag and no white knight midfield gun is joining us at the end of the season. Time to start building around players like Ahern, LDU, Scott and Thomas who look like they could actually be AA quality players. Not trying to find roles for battlers like Turner and Atley.

Good luck with that why Scott is coaching.

I don't have a major issue with Atley in the team (although I'd be lying if I said having him out would overly concern me this weekend) but I agree with the general gist of this. Our forward line structurally appears to be Brown / JZ as goalkickers and the rest there to shut down the opposition. Last I checked the forward line is traditionally where one tries to score goals and I can't help but feel we're treating it like a really far up the ground backline at the moment. I don't think it's a major imbalance but I do think it needs a retool. Fast, skilled, ground level forwards who hit the goals should be the starting point (as well as an actual 2nd tall forward) - then train them to also defend.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't have a major issue with Atley in the team (although I'd be lying if I said having him out would overly concern me this weekend) but I agree with the general gist of this. Our forward line structurally appears to be Brown / JZ as goalkickers and the rest there to shut down the opposition. Last I checked the forward line is traditionally where one tries to score goals and I can't help but feel we're treating it like a really far up the ground backline at the moment. I don't think it's a major imbalance but I do think it needs a retool. Fast, skilled, ground level forwards who hit the goals should be the starting point (as well as an actual 2nd tall forward) - then train them to also defend.
I'm not against Ats in the team but our low disposal and or low skill mid to late 20s players should be demanding spots with form. 150 gamers shouldn't be relying on coaches to find their niche in the team.

I'm not against Ats in the team but our low disposal and or low skill mid to late 20s players should be demanding spots with form. 150 gamers shouldn't be relying on coaches to find their niche in the team.

100% agreement - and I'm on record as being a fan of his consistency and availability (physically). When it comes down to it though, for me, if he's not in the poorest performers each week it's hard to mount a case that he should give way until he is.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Hot on the heels of Hawthorn gifting us Rising Star nom and future Hall of Famer Ryan Bastinac last year, now it emerges they have given us Shaun Atley too!

The ever reliable Emma Quayle writes:

North Melbourne, the only club to use a compensation pick, benefited: it got crafty forward Kieran Harper, a player it had looked at for pick 17.

Thus, had we not plamed Hales off to them, we would have been in a horrible dilemma come pick 17.

Instead, we took the best available in Atley and sat back to snare our main target ten picks later.

I believe the 'Thanks for Bastinac and Atley' line should be deployed at every opportunity.

Default now is to go the OP when first ever opening a thread

Good grief

The5YearPlan

Senior List
Apr 7, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Much better this week off hbf

That’s his spot

His run and carry is amazing, he can break lines and can use the ball
It seems like he just gets his wires crossed when he plays anywhere else.. Do love Atley though, better than that flog Mcdonald by a long way

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Must play off back pocket/hbf for the rest of the season some of his work tonight in traffic was sublime.

Those two tackle shrugs on the wing and then lace out pass to BBB was just wow..

The Butcher

All Australian
Mar 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ats best game in a while IMO. Used his agility in the clinches and his brain/experience/skill in his disposals.

When we brought in Hall I thought here's the player I had hoped Ats would become. Tonight Hall showed some Atley like dash and lack of composure, and Ats acted the steady minded afl defender. I don't know where that leaves us, but anyway that's my thoughts.

His effort in the third quarter when he burst through a couple of tackles and hit up BBB was a game changing moment.

I'm not a big fan of this guy but he was fantastic tonight. Would love to see him do this every week.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His effort in the third quarter when he burst through a couple of tackles and hit up BBB was a game changing moment.

I'm not a big fan of this guy but he was fantastic tonight. Would love to see him do this every week.
Not just anybody, Rory Sloane, who basically gobbled up everybody who tried to take him on tonight.

Atley didn't even looked like he was trying to take on the tackle, just stood up and walked through it.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Has become a very bonafide mature player, he's consistent, he's a core part of the group and one of those guys you think of when you're describing a certain team of a certain era.

Given how much faith he's shown with us, he's one of those players you'd love to see on the stage after winning the Grand Final.

He clearly has hunger, if we were to make finals he'd stand up in a big way.

Thought he did this kind of stuff I mentioned tonight, stood up in a massive way in moments that really gave us the chance to get ahead.

Like I said, if he finds himself on a Grand Final stage he will be MASSIVE.

Back