Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

ohh_v

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool F.C
With the way our backline have been butchering the ball.. he absolutely has to stay back there.

Loved how in the last quarter he could've blazed away, but found the open man (even if it meant going backwards) to slow the game down and wipe time off the clock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Falkroo

All Australian
Mar 9, 2005
On The Murray
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Ats best game in a while IMO. Used his agility in the clinches and his brain/experience/skill in his disposals.

When we brought in Hall I thought here's the player I had hoped Ats would become. Tonight Hall showed some Atley like dash and lack of composure, and Ats acted the steady minded afl defender. I don't know where that leaves us, but anyway that's my thoughts.
My thoughts exactly!

Falkroo

All Australian
Mar 9, 2005
On The Murray
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Love how everyone now thinks he should be parked at HB again and his highlights were all in the forward half.
Granted, the most talked about of the highlights were created in the forward half, for me it was his added composer in the defensive 50 that won me over, just didn't look like he was going to screw anything up, played like the ultimate dependable defender and I don't think he has been anything like that in the past. For me the bouncing off players and passing inside 50 to the forwards was just the icing on the cake.

arden station

Cancelled
May 3, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would like to see him given centre square clearance opportunities even if he then plays back or forward in general play. Mainly because he's the strongest he's been and with his pace could be very damaging.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
The pass to Brown in the 3rd quarter was smooth. More please.
To be honest, he was doing this throughout 2018. Kicking inside 50s to Brown on the lead. For me it was a significant reason in shifting my view on his ongoing value to the team. He seemed to find Brown with deft, well-weighted kicks more than, or as much as, any other player kicking inside 50, like they have a good understanding.

I see Atley forward being second only to Daw back as coaching moves that really worked. With Atley it takes away his option anxiety and tendency to be a headless chook. With Daw it removed the pressure to create opportunities, and enabled him to simply react to what is unfolding. In both cases, keeping it simpler for them.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To be honest, he was doing this throughout 2018. Kicking inside 50s to Brown on the lead. For me it was a significant reason in shifting my view on his ongoing value to the team. He seemed to find Brown with deft, well-weighted kicks more than, or as much as, any other player kicking inside 50, like they have a good understanding.

I see Atley forward being second only to Daw back as coaching moves that really worked. With Atley it takes away his option anxiety and tendency to be a headless chook. With Daw it removed the pressure to create opportunities, and enabled him to simply react to what is unfolding. In both cases, keeping it simpler for them.
Kind of ironic, you put players in positions they’re good at to get the best out of them.
Atley was an attacking mid when drafted. He needed to work on his defensive side of his game.
Who knew he’s best games would be when he’s free up a bit in the forward half.
And Daw works best when he’s reactionary to play not creating it.
It’s almost like, when he was drafted, he wasn’t long into the game..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back