Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Higgins will still be right up there. Still gets the tag and gets a lot of ball even if disposal isn’t as good this year he is still our best player

God, I hope Higgins isn't in the equation, he's disposal has been shocking this year.

I think Cunnington is probably pretty clearly in front. He's a fair chance to be an AA starting mid this year.

I'd have it at 1. Cunnington, 2. Atley, ...... daylight.

At the moment.

God, I hope Higgins isn't in the equation, he's disposal has been shocking this year.

I think Cunnington is probably pretty clearly in front. He's a fair chance to be an AA starting mid this year.

I'd have it at 1. Cunnington, 2. Atley, ...... daylight.

At the moment.

Cunners would be a fair chance for the Brownlow if we’d won more games.

Back to Atley now-has been like a new player down back compared to his former self.
So composed and making great decisions.

So I was talking to myself in the shower today and I came up with an odd suggestion. Do you think maybe they might try him in the centre? Not sure if it is crazy but seems like it might be something to try.

I've never understood why, as soon as we get a player start playing consistent footy, people suggest changing his role.

I've never understood why, as soon as we get a player start playing consistent footy, people suggest changing his role.

I would generally agree with this, but in Atley's case, he's finally realising the potential we thought we had recruited. So, the view that he could be valuable in the midfield is not without merit.

Atley has been in great form recently - his run and carry and spotting up leading targets is good. Defence has been great as well. I think when he has trouble its due to his peripheral view and decision making in traffic especially by hand.

agree with the comment a few lines up. why change his position when he's playing well. Add to that we have an abundance of midfielders. needs to stay back. hes defending well and is clean getting the ball out of the backline. has been brilliant this year

Most improved player on the list, super dependable with ball in hand. Would love to see what he could do in the midfield with the new found confidence.

I would generally agree with this, but in Atley's case, he's finally realising the potential we thought we had recruited. So, the view that he could be valuable in the midfield is not without merit.

His best year was on the forward line last year but I think he's better this year and it suits him down back at the moment. I wasn't the only one who had written him off as the sort of sort of back/wing type player he is currently - but he's bloody good this year. Full credit to him. Maybe he just needed some time up forward to get a bit of confidence in his ability to take the game on? The fact that he went forward and played his best footy last year then went back to the backline (to a role I and a few others thought he was average at best in) and started playing great footy .... it does suggest he might be okay if we gave him another shot in the middle.

He's got the core strength and speed that we can see LDU developing as well. He's probably more of a bull than we give him credit for (and he's a bit softer defensively than offensively imo) these days as well. I remember him tackling Dustin Martin and winning the free 2 years ago when it seemed no one could lay a tackle on Dusty tho so he does have it in him physically to tackle as well as break tackles. Frankly I'd like to see him (and Hall both) running thru the middle a bit more (as well applying more defensive pressure). He can work, bullock and weave thru traffic these days and can run out of tackles as well, then kick fairly long and straight.

That's almost perfect for 666.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree with the comment a few lines up. why change his position when he's playing well. Add to that we have an abundance of midfielders. needs to stay back. hes defending well and is clean getting the ball out of the backline. has been brilliant this year

We don't have enough or even any really fast midfielders and I think we need them.

And also we don't need him in every centre bounce.

He and Hall could do one or two each per quarter or even in a half and provide great variety and a change up when we need it. Its the sort of thing this year's game with this 666 rule is crying out for.

When he got that ball in open space, I said out loud, 'go for a run'. And he did. It was marvelous...

...until he got run down by some guy who I don't even know the name of.

What on earth?

When he got that ball in open space, I said out loud, 'go for a run'. And he did. It was marvelous...

...until he got run down by some guy who I don't even know the name of.

What on earth?
Wasn't Shaun's fault, he had to reassess about 3 times on that run due to some appalling leading patterns and a ridiculously crowded forward 50. I'd rather he got run down looking for a decent option that just bomb it to where Ben Brown would be if he wasn't buried under layers of red and white jumpers.

Sydney clearly put some work into him and targeted him.
And we simply allowed it to happen

Yeah so, when that was negated did we do the smart thing and plonk him on Papley to at least turn a negative in to a double negative?

Nope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back