Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Very solid footballer. Skilled and generally reliable by foot. Underrated defensively. Often gets the job done with so little fuss that his contribution is regularly overlooked.

And either I'm tripping and just imagining it, or over the years the breakneck 'Road To Nowhere' runs of his have slowly but surely been curbed in number, and improved in terms of quality and him now actually having some vague semblance of a plan when he takes off.

Anyway, congrATS.

(See what I did there? Genius.)

Last edited:

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very solid footballer. Skilled and generally reliable by foot. Underrated defensively. So often gets the job done with such minimum fuss that his contribution is regularly overlooked.

And either I'm tripping and just imagining it, or over the years the breakneck 'Road To Nowhere' runs of his have slowly but surely been curbed in number, and improved in terms of quality and him now actually having some vague semblance of a plan when he takes off.

Anyway, congrATS.

(See what I did there? Genius.)
He streamed through the middle agsinst GWS, took a bounce, running at a million miles an hr, put it on the boot and laced out a clean patch of grass surrounded by two GWS defenders.. oozes potential just wished he could be a bit better

He streamed through the middle agsinst GWS, took a bounce, running at a million miles an hr, put it on the boot and laced out a clean patch of grass surrounded by two GWS defenders.. oozes potential just wished he could be a bit better

I'm not saying he no longer does it at all, just that he does it less often and, for the most part, possesses a little more polish and direction than he did going back a few years.

Go_Roos!

Club Legend
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Got to love it!

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
yeah, that passage got to me too, he missed his kick. But in general his disposal is pretty good these days.
Its much better, but seriously did he look up before he kicked it? Or is it systematic and there should have been someone there? The difference between that kick and polec looking for an option is huge

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If only all our first and second rounds picks had his durability.

Its a fantastic achievement to play 200 for this great club, it's a testament to his professionalism and effort.

Although he hasn't reached the heights I thought he would, he has been a super consistent, reliable defender across the journey.

He has teased us with those amazing runs and flashes of brilliance too.

I reckon he'll come close to getting to 300 which is an incredible feat.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Shaun Atley – 200 games
The 33rd player to play 200 games for the North Melbourne Football Club

Played: 199 Won: 102 Drawn: 0 Lost: 97

Game 1 – Round 1, 2011 v West Coast (Subiaco Oval). West Coast 13.14-92 d. North Melbourne 13.10-88
Game 50 – Round 11, 2013 v Gold Coast (Carrara). Gold Coast 9.12-66 d. North Melbourne 8.3-51
Game 100 – Round 17, 2015 v Brisbane Lions (The Gabba). North Melbourne 16.14-110 d. Brisbane Lions 5.8-38
Game 150 – Round 19, 2017 v Melbourne (Blundstone). North Melbourne 11.10-76 d. Melbourne 10.12-72

Disposals
Game High: 29 (Round 22, 2019 v Port Adelaide)
Season High: 464 (2014)

Kicks
Game High: 18 (Round 4, 2019 v Adelaide)
Season High: 225 (2013)

Handballs
Game High: 21 (Round 16, 2014 v Hawthorn)
Season High: 246 (2014)

Marks
Game High: 11 (Round 14, 2013 v GWS Giants)
Season High: 106 (2013)

Goals: 43 Behinds: 41​

Brownlow Medal Games
Round 5, 2012 vs Gold Coast – 2 votes

Finals:
2012 Elimination Final v West Coast
2014 Elimination Final v Essendon
2014 Semi Final v Geelong
2014 Preliminary Final v Sydney
2015 Elimination Final v Richmond
2015 Semi Final v Sydney
2015 Preliminary Final v West Coast
2016 Elimination Final v Adelaide

Most Consecutive Games: 99 (Round 12, 2015 v GWS Giants to Round 19, 2019 v Geelong)
Has played 199 of 208 games since debut

In fairness, I think the whole team was doing that in the first half. It was the first half when this happened... or not? Scamper tweaked things and the second half was different.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
In his interview on SEN he even admitted that Shaw has encouraged to play at his strengths and take on the game more. He’s just adjusting

Run Atley run!

Play to your strengths.

Funny notion that.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
That was the thing that frustrated me most about Scott, even when I was a Scott supporter*

* which was all those years until half time, round 1 2019.

Shaw seems to have found a set up that fits our list like a glove.

Scott’s fitted like a blind-tailored pair of clogs.

Congrats Ats, 200 games is a wonderful achievement.

I think he may be the second player from his draft year to reach 200 games, after Isaac Smith, so he has been amazingly durable.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You think?
You're probably right, you're still ahead on points; I think we only started to claw back a few when James Brayshaw pantsed Jeff Kennett on national TV, after Jeff's helpful comments about how we weren't supporting Jono Hay with his mental health problems, only for JB to point out that the Dawks knew all about Hay's issues, and conveniently forgot to mention them during the trade negotiations. Integrity plus, as you'd expect from a Liberal Party Obergruppenfuhrer

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
You're probably right, you're still ahead on points; I think we only started to claw back a few when James Brayshaw pantsed Jeff Kennett on national TV, after Jeff's helpful comments about how we weren't supporting Jono Hay with his mental health problems, only for JB to point out that the Dawks knew all about Hay's issues, and conveniently forgot to mention them during the trade negotiations. Integrity plus, as you'd expect from a Liberal Party Obergruppenfuhrer
That's rich from Kennett. They cast Hay aside like a soiled pair of jocks and then point the finger at North!!!!

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Back