Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s purely psychological with Atley. Has the pure pace to break games open, but always seems hestitant to use it to take the game on.

If he had the mentality of Adam Saad, he would be an absolute weapon.

Unfortunately after 200 games I can’t see him changing, so until someone else demands his spot, we are probably stuck with the frustration that is Shaun Atley.

I think they need to send him to hypnotherapist and just drum into him....... run, run, run and take on the game.

Do we need the hypnotherapist... we have 3 running defenders as coaches in Shaw Scotland and did have rivers.... surely that's their job

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Take a stroll down memory lane.

What did we do to this kid?

In that footage he's everything we hoped he'd become. Aggressive, decisive and playmaking.

Breaking tackles, chasedown tackles, side steps one way then two ways before bursting through.

We neutered the poor bloke.

Lol.

He hasn't changed as a player at all. The first four passages of play in that vid could have been shot over the last two weekends. Run fast, frontal pressure incoming, bomb to 50/50.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Lol.

He hasn't changed as a player at all. The first four passages of play in that vid could have been shot over the last two weekends. Run fast, frontal pressure incoming, bomb to 50/50.

Yeh his kicking was suspect. But at least he looked like a player trying to make things happen. That type of approach has been a very small portion of his senior career albeit possibly due to instruction.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeh his kicking was suspect. But at least he looked like a player trying to make things happen. That type of approach has been a very small portion of his senior career albeit possibly due to instruction.
He has tried over the last two weeks, and for the most part turned it over or got pinged.

I think he has also tried to keep his burst as part of his game, and been encouraged to use it over the years, but he isn't as standout an athlete as he was during his U/18 career as others have caught up in the professional environment. I :heart: Ats but its fair to say that he has not lived up to expectation although he has been a very solid North citizen for a long time, and likely for another 4 or so years. 300 games is not beyond him at all.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
He has tried over the last two weeks, and for the most part turned it over or got pinged.

I think he has also tried to keep his burst as part of his game, and been encouraged to use it over the years, but he isn't as standout an athlete as he was during his U/18 career as others have caught up in the professional environment. I :heart: Ats but its fair to say that he has not lived up to expectation although he has been a very solid North citizen for a long time, and likely for another 4 or so years. 300 games is not beyond him at all.

That's a fair summary.

And that's just it eh?

I remember thinking in 2010 that our first rounders got us Ziebell, Cunnington, Atley in consecutive years and right there you had a star trio - long kicking mid, the inside mid and the fast mid all set for the next generation.

Since then Cunners has fulfilled his talent and the other 2 wouldn't pull too much attention if they were to be thrown on the table during trade week.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
That's a fair summary.

And that's just it eh?

I remember thinking in 2010 that our first rounders got us Ziebell, Cunnington, Atley in consecutive years and right there you had a star trio - long kicking mid, the inside mid and the fast mid all set for the next generation.

Since then Cunners has fulfilled his talent and the other 2 wouldn't pull too much attention if they were to be thrown on the table during trade week.
If you ever find that version of Shaun, ask if it's seen Luke McDonald's left peg....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Lol.

Huh?

He typically goes sideways or short passes when he runs through the midfield, and that is the frustrating part.

I wish he actually would run all the way to the 50 and bomb shots.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Time to give him a kick up the backside, give him a one way mission. Either he has to make it in the middle as we need to re-invigorate the backline or he goes down with the titanic.

RHLK

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Subiaco
Ats Titanic.jpg

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's all psychological with Atley. Wood is a confidence player. What happened to Luke's left foot? Ziebell's goalkicking is fast becoming a liability. And around and around and around.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
It's all psychological with Atley. Wood is a confidence player. What happened to Luke's left foot? Ziebell's goalkicking is fast becoming a liability. And around and around and around.
Thats the problem we’ve lacked for 20 years is A grade polish, thats why Higgins looks so good when he’s on.. he sticks out like a pair of sore plums..

In Jy we trust..

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When you lose a game by under a goal you can look back at moments that make a difference.
Atley sleeping through the start of the game and letting Breust stroll into goal and then on 3 occasions letting the ball out in a contest costing us another 3 goals.
That’s the ball game.

When you lose a game by under a goal you can look back at moments that make a difference.
Atley sleeping through the start of the game and letting Breust stroll into goal and then on 3 occasions letting the ball out in a contest costing us another 3 goals.
That’s the ball game.
That’s a sign of a footballer who is not buying in. Rhyce needs to make an example of him. That sets the tone. That s**t.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At's is on his last legs now - if we had someone who could replace him then At's would be dropped.

But you look at Lmac, Pittard, Atley, M Williams - all limited footballers - none of them would get a game in a top side yet they all get a game with us - that's why we are where we are.

Hayden looks a likely player back there and must be preserved with but we must invest in some quality small to mid defenders who can run and use the ball.

Taz and Walker are fantastic - its the small to mid defenders we need to access.

Back