Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve never seen a bloke almost give us when he’s tackled.....it’s really weird. It’s like we are playing tag and as soon as he is touched he kinda stops. Good players drive hard into the tackle to try and get their hands free.....he just freezes. Unusual.

I honestly can't see Atley improving, and he doesn't represent our future. It will probably cost us in the short term, but I'd rather leave our young players forward.

Has been played out of position his whole career. He should have always been a mid.

The End.
Disagree. The guy just ain’t a good footballer. He could play midfield all year and average 12-18 touches.
Doesn’t lay tackles. Can’t break tackles. Doesn’t hit the scoreboard. Fumbles under pressure. Poor decision-maker.
How do those attributes suggest he’d be a good midfielder????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that moving this guy into the forward line is some sort of solution.

First, Scotts tried it a few years back and it wasn't very successful as his conversion rate was below average. What's the old saying about the definition of insanity?

Second, who's he going to replace? We need to prioritise getting games into the likes of Taylor, TT, Zuurhaar and Mahoney so it would be a big step backwards in developing our list. Apart from leg speed, Atley doesn't possess the attributes of a good forward i.e. footy smarts, quick thinking and a proactive mindset.

I think that it would be mutually beneficial for the club and Shaun to part ways at season's end. We just need to play him enough to make other clubs think he's a required player and hopefully suck one of them into paying overs for him - we'd be making out like bandits if we got a second round pick.

Disagree. The guy just ain’t a good footballer. He could play midfield all year and average 12-18 touches.
Doesn’t lay tackles. Can’t break tackles. Doesn’t hit the scoreboard. Fumbles under pressure. Poor decision-maker.
How do those attributes suggest he’d be a good midfielder????
has no lateral movement or awareness. Cant play in midfield if you dont see the game in 360degrees. The problem is that maybe is ok at halfback and so he is played there.

His slow decision making and reaction time has stood out like dog's balls the last 2 weeks.

Not a player that routinely catches my eye but maybe games are zipping around even faster than normal, because you can almost set your watch to chains of play breaking down as soon as he's involved. Slow to realise he's about to receive, slow to react despite being zippy of foot.

He's like the Bizarro version of Cunnington. All pace and no speed.

I'd be looking at Bailey or anyone else with some football nouse and decent leg speed to stop gap that running HB role because there's an issue down there now.

He's become too regimented.

Brad Scott turned him in to a robot.
That's a pretty good summation.

Remember a few years ago when Scotts made a big song and dance pre-season about giving Atley "licence" to use his pace and "take the game on"? He did it about five times in the early rounds and got pinged four of those times, then went back to being the same old Shaun. Scotts obviously cancelled his licence.

That's a pretty good summation.

Remember a few years ago when Scotts made a big song and dance pre-season about giving Atley "licence" to use his pace and "take the game on"? He did it about five times in the early rounds and got pinged four of those times, then went back to being the same old Shaun. Scotts obviously cancelled his licence.
I think its more so that he isn't a creative footballer. If he wasn't such a good athlete would he have made the grade? Is he skilful enough? Does he seem to have a really good feel for the game? For me the answer to these questions is no. Ats is a role player, and that is and has always been his ceiling.

At's, next time you decide to try and break a tackle instead of accelerating away from it, remember what the great Clint Eastwood once said "A man's got to know his limitations".
Interesting Mutts.....I feel like 9 times out of 10 he doesn’t accelerate enough. Like he's playing chasey out there and when he gets caught he gives up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back