Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The first goal Breust kick is even more bizarre on replay.
Im struggling to understand the slow reaction time.
I’m not defending Atley, but Pittard causes that whole chain by choosing to not go and make a contest.

Pittard if he went would have most likely got their first, but stopped and let Breust have a free run at it. If Pittard makes that contest the ball would have most likely spilled forward to Atley who you could see positioned himself to take a handball or a loose ball if Pittard knocks it forward.

Unfortunately for us an Atley, Pittard ****ed it by not going when it was his turn and made Atley look stupid.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interesting Mutts.....I feel like 9 times out of 10 he doesn’t accelerate enough. Like he's playing chasey out there and when he gets caught he gives up.
He either has slow decision making skills or he is too scared of making a mistake and won’t take the game on? Either way it’s s**t and he needs a spell.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I’m not defending Atley, but Pittard causes that whole chain by choosing to not go and make a contest.

Pittard if he went would have most likely got their first, but stopped and let Breust have a free run at it. If Pittard makes that contest the ball would have most likely spilled forward to Atley who you could see positioned himself to take a handball or a loose ball if Pittard knocks it forward.

Unfortunately for us an Atley, Pittard f’ed it by not going when it was his turn and made Atley look stupid.

And Shaun is quite capable of doing that all by himself, thank you very much.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And Shaun is quite capable of doing that all by himself, thank you very much.
No doubt he can make himself look stupid.

But in this case his teammate let him down with a very soft effort.

If you watch the footage you can actually see Atley stop to position himself for where the ball was most likely going to go if Pittard makes the right decision and goes. After Bruest waltzes in and picks it up you can actually see Atleys frustration at Pittard not going.

I’m not defending Atleys game, but I’m not going to put the blame on him for that first goal, when it was Pittard who let the team down by choosing not to go.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I’m not defending Atleys game, but I’m not going to put the blame on him for that first goal, when it was Pittard who let the team down by choosing not to go.

A ridiculous analysis, freak bounce where Atley had to attend to the contest, leads to tap on that put it straight down Breust's throat who just bolted ahead in the hope it would get over the back, and then slotted a 40 metre left foot running goal.

As I stated in another thread, David Dench could not have stopped that goal, but you can tell who has never played or watched much football going by a criticism of that play.

Unfortunately for us an Atley, Pittard f’ed it by not going when it was his turn and made Atley look stupid.
Pittard was ball watching but Atley committed the ultimate sin of letting Breust get goalside. That’s just a major no no.
If I wanted to really lay blame then take it back to the middle of the ground where the captain fumbled twice and allowed Omeara to gather the clearance.
There’s a few weak links and players out of form and I just mentioned them.
He kept Breust quiet after that but we lose the game by four points. One kick is all it took in a game of inches

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pittard was ball watching but Atley committed the ultimate sin of letting Breust get goalside. That’s just a major no no.
If I wanted to really lay blame then take it back to the middle of the ground where the captain fumbled twice and allowed Omeara to gather the clearance.
There’s a few weak links and players out of form and I just mentioned them.
He kept Breust quiet after that but we lose the game by four points. One kick is all it took in a game of inches
Call it what you want ball watching or not going, but whatever you want to label it, it was Pittards turn to go and he didn’t, he stopped and gave Bruest a free run at it.

If he goes in that situation and either gets their first or halves the contest the ball most likely goes forward where Atley is in position to win the ball.

As I said I’m not defending Atleys game at all, but a poster payed the blame on him for Breust kicking that first goal, which was unfair.

Interesting Mutts.....I feel like 9 times out of 10 he doesn’t accelerate enough. Like he's playing chasey out there and when he gets caught he gives up.
Yep, but i reckon if he sees one or more tacklers ahead, he goes straight at them as if he thinks he will blast through, instead of using a burst of speed to avoid the confrontation.

He slipped in the draft for a reason.
Every draft there has been a player with big wraps that have slipped and we’ve drafted a few of them , namely atley , durdin.
Hopefully Taylor and Scott break that cycle.
Scott only slipped cos we had dibs on him and it was a strong draft. The fact we got Taylor is a lesson to all clubs to always bid and make teams pay IMO. He could turn out to be a bust but so far he's helped us win two games so he is starting to pay off. And I mean genuinely contributed to the win in important moments.

Call it what you want ball watching or not going, but whatever you want to label it, it was Pittards turn to go and he didn’t, he stopped and gave Bruest a free run at it.

If he goes in that situation and either gets their first or halves the contest the ball most likely goes forward where Atley is in position to win the ball.

As I said I’m not defending Atleys game at all, but a poster payed the blame on him for Breust kicking that first goal, which was unfair.
Preaching to the converted mate.
I wanted Jasper dropped when he went at 52% by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was going to say more of the same from Ats, but it was far less of the same tonight. Watched him in the last quarter, he was going through the motions.

No longer best 22, must be phased out ASAP.
Must be dropped!

A guy with electric pace that won’t run or chase.

Needs a big spell playing scratch matches until he realises what it takes to play at this level.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Forward or bust. Needs the play to have developed before it gets to him. Needs it as simple as possible, can't handle the decision making required offensively and defensively from HB.
He doesn’t deserve a shot up forward.

Lazy campaigner can * off and cut the oranges.

This guy has played 200 games yet still commits the same errors. How many times have we seen Atleys opponent get an easy possession off the contest because Atley has been sucked into a contest he can’t impact.

Three words sum up Atley.... dumb, lazy, s**t

Remove this Banner Ad

Back